1566 shift problem

6 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it seems to not be getting out of 2nd and gets in both 2nd and 3rd. Where should I start looking for the problem. All else is okay, or at least seems okay.

Ron

#2 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Sounds like the bolts holding shift rails broke or came loose under speed trans cover.

#3 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Interests:antique airplanes, automobiles prior to 1970, steam locomotives, old trucks, and any old farm machines.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like the bolts holding shift rails broke or came loose under speed trans cover.

Thanks, Pete. It seems to me that the problem must be in the shift rails somewhere, but this is my first IH newer and bigger than a 340. This problem is the reason I was able to purchase this fairly decent tractor reasonably. I bought it to power a grain vac, but it may as well have all its gears, too.

Ron

#4 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:06 AM

There is a set of shift rail hold downs that can (must) be added on a 3 speed that will prevent this from happening again.

If you're gonna fix it, fix it right.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#5 Ron Cook

Ron Cook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

There is a set of shift rail hold downs that can (must) be added on a 3 speed that will prevent this from happening again.

Maynard,
I agree that this thing needs to be fixed right. Where do I get more information on the shift rail hold downs if indeed that is what is wrong? Case IH dealership? or an independent shop? I will be repairing this tractor myself in my shop. Manuals have been ordered. Do you think I can continue to move this tractor around without incurring damage. I think it has been moved around quite a bit before I got hold of it. But then, the original owner sold it through a salvage yard. He is 84 and not interested in repairing this tractor as he has plenty of newer tractors to use. I consider myself to be the second owner and am looking to get this thing up in shape and pretty.

Ron.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0707.JPG

#6 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Maynard,
I agree that this thing needs to be fixed right. Where do I get more information on the shift rail hold downs if indeed that is what is wrong? Case IH dealership? or an independent shop? I will be repairing this tractor myself in my shop. Manuals have been ordered. Do you think I can continue to move this tractor around without incurring damage. I think it has been moved around quite a bit before I got hold of it. But then, the original owner sold it through a salvage yard. He is 84 and not interested in repairing this tractor as he has plenty of newer tractors to use. I consider myself to be the second owner and am looking to get this thing up in shape and pretty.

Ron.

I'll get the part numbers for you tomorrow Ron. You'll have to get them from a dealer unless there is an aftermarket source that I'm not aware of.

Just put a set on earlier this winter. Not very expensive, but worth it since it's a cab tractor and you don't want a repeat.

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#7 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Blocks are P/N 148953C1 need 2 @ $81.81 a piece.
Bolts need 4 of 326-524 @ $1.25 a piece.
Lock washers 4 of 280278 @ $0.24 a piece.

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

Reply to this topic