1460 or 1660 with Drago chopping cornhead

5 replies to this topic

#1 roscoe

roscoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Anybody on here running a Drago chopping cornhead on 1460 or 1660 combine? I'm thinking about buying 1 and would like to know personel experience's. I've never seen 1 around here on those models. The dealer says they never sold 1 on such an old model.
Thanks in advance, Roscoe

#2 ole 815

ole 815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Roscoe,

I run a 6 row Drago w/chopper on a 1660 with the IH 466 engine. I went from a 1044 head up to the 6 row 30in Drago. I have run it for 5 years. Before I ever went to the field with it I put the updated 3 groove cast iron pulley on the bottom of feeder house. The tin one was shot anyways. I also put synthetic oil in feeder drive gearbox. No problems at all driving the head. To be honest it prolly felt the same as if it would be from going from 4 row to a regular 6 row head. I thought it was going to work my 1660 alot more than what it actually does. Had to add third cylinder to lift it.

Normal type corn field conditons, good corn, 200 bushel usually 3.5-3.8mph. The real kicker is if corn is wetter. Takes alot more power to slide that wet corn thru the machine. Fall 2009, wet corn, first part of harvesting was sometimes down to 2.5 unloading on the go and the ole girl had her tongue hang n out as I turned around on the ends trying to catch her breath.

Last two years 14% corn, combine 4.0 mph and unload on the go 3.8 or so.

Only issue was getting corn to feed in the feeder the first year. Next year I put in a Loewen Posi-Feed Feeder Drum, issue solved.

My video shows around 205 bu corn 19.6 moisture unloading on the go around 3.3mph. This was towards the end of 2009 when corn was getting a little drier.

Not sure what size head your thinking but a 6 row chopping head on a 1460 would be to much. IMHO The 436 motor would be short on power. It might handle a 4 row though.

I never combine much corn wetter than 20% if I have a choice. If a person had my combine and corn head and was always wanting to start combining corn @ 23 to 28% they would prolly want a machine with more HP.

3 Generations and the 'Ole 815'

Looking for 1206 serial # 11239 S-Y

#3 roscoe

roscoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

I run a 1460, I,m running a 863 right now. I never have power issues, I have no way of checking h.p. but feel am running close to 200 with tourqe screw turned open and droop screw backed out. Usually run 5 mph in corn, 20-22% moisture. I have the 3rd lift cyl. also. I think my speed limiting factor is the small clean grain elevator @ higher ground speeds. Also it would not bother me to slow down if I'm getting a chopping job done @ the same time. Would you buy a Drago again? I'm more interested in saving corn then chopping ability. A Drago would surely do a better job on the stalks then an 863 would'nt it?
Thanks, Roscoe

#4 roscoe

roscoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Forgot to say thanks for posting video, very nice. I can see from it that the Drago is much gentler when pulling stalks through the stripper plates.
Wayne

#5 ole 815

ole 815

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Roscoe,

If I ever decide to get a new corn head, I would buy another Drago. Mostly because of the harvesting of the corn #1 and chopping capabilities #2. It is really good at having less head shell and pulling in down corn.

It chops better than my 1044 or your 863. It depends on the stalks. If it a day when the stalks are damp and tuff, you might almost think some of the chopping knives got stolen from under the head, but still better than what I had with old head.

Some days and certain varities it does excellent at chopping. In a year or two Drago will have the answer to better chopping. I think they are working on a new style. ;)

I have also run my Drago on a 2188 and since I had more power and could go faster it even had less head shell than on my 1660.

I could never combine 5mph consistently, heck in 2nd gear with my 2 speed flipped on high, mine only will go 4.9 I think.

I'm not one to see how fast I can go, so in my case I get along great with this set-up. I don't push my stuff too hard cause if I break it, or plug it, I'm the one that fixes it!
3 Generations and the 'Ole 815'

Looking for 1206 serial # 11239 S-Y

#6 roscoe

roscoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

815, Thanks for your response to my questions. Good comments, will see if I can make a deal.

Reply to this topic