Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Farm equipment, hunting, raising 5 daughters & sweet corn, guns

1948 Farmall MD, 1960 International B-275, 1995 F-250 Powerstroke

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Question: Is there a difference between live and independent PTO? Looking at tractordata.com, I see some of each.

I would like to understand because I am looking for working tractors for myself and a friend. Just want to know what I might be getting.

#2 SMOKER 1

SMOKER 1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts
  • Interests:IH & Farmall Tractors & Equipment

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I was always under the impression that they were the same thing.

jerry

FOREVER RED: I 706, 766G, Super WD9 w/factory hand clutch, 2 Lousville Super Ms hooked in a tandem, 49 M, Original 656 D with 2250 loader, 130, 140 w/ One Arm Loader, 1026 Gold Demo (belongs to Smoker 2), Original Low Houred 3688 w/2355 loader, 1256, Original 766D  w/2350 loader, Original 666D w/2250 loader, 2 CC Originals, 682 w/#2 trailer,  Prototype 800 Planter, 1979 Scout II Rallye, and sheds full of CIH & NH equipment. + MM G1000 Wheatland Propane & M&W P-2000 Dyno. Favorite colors:  The workers:  NH Genesis 8870, T8.330, 7130, Farmall 95 w/ 730 loader.  I love tractors!!!!!  RED, BLUE & PRAIRIE GOLD.

#3 Takn4aFool

Takn4aFool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

now if you're talking M&W live power vs. IPTO thats a whole different story ( I think )

#4 cpg

cpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

The difference may be like the difference between true live pto and the "live" pto like the Allis-Chalmers CA had which may be considered independent pto. The CA had an extra hand clutch on the axle shaft between the differential and final drive. If you disengaged this clutch you could stop and start the tractor without touching the engine clutch so the pto would keep spinning. However, you couldn't change gears without using the engine clutch, therefore stopping the pto. So, it really wasn't a truly live pto that can be turned on or off completely separate from the tractor's drive. I know those are two different types of "live" pto so maybe that is the difference between live and independent. I'm sure the terms are interchanged by some people so this could be the case for some listings and not the case for others, just a possibility. I guess I would do a little more research on the specific tractor models you are most interested in. Hope this helps.

#5 450G

450G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:Currently own Farmall 450 Gas NF #8679.
    Dad owned M #134851 from 1962 until 1971. Would love to find it again.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm thinking cpg is on the right track. I think an independent PTO is one that has it's own dedicated power coming back from the engine where a live PTO is a transmission driven PTO like the older tractors have, but had a 2 stage clutch like the Fergusons had, or a clutch like the AC's had. An independent pto is live, but not all live PTO's are independent.

#6 Mark (EC,IN)

Mark (EC,IN)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm thinking cpg is on the right track. I think an independent PTO is one that has it's own dedicated power coming back from the engine where a live PTO is a transmission driven PTO like the older tractors have, but had a 2 stage clutch like the Fergusons had, or a clutch like the AC's had. An independent pto is live, but not all live PTO's are independent.

Yes that is the difference...an independent PTO has it's own clutch...you can turn it on and off going through the field.

#7 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

The difference may be like the difference between true live pto and the "live" pto like the Allis-Chalmers CA had which may be considered independent pto. The CA had an extra hand clutch on the axle shaft between the differential and final drive. If you disengaged this clutch you could stop and start the tractor without touching the engine clutch so the pto would keep spinning. However, you couldn't change gears without using the engine clutch, therefore stopping the pto. So, it really wasn't a truly live pto that can be turned on or off completely separate from the tractor's drive. I know those are two different types of "live" pto so maybe that is the difference between live and independent. I'm sure the terms are interchanged by some people so this could be the case for some listings and not the case for others, just a possibility. I guess I would do a little more research on the specific tractor models you are most interested in. Hope this helps.

Good explanation cpg. You bring to mind a question I have had for years and never think to ask until now. I always thought the AC pto clutch worked the same as the M&W live pto clutch that I had on my Farmall M.So did M&W make the clutch for AC or did M&W get the idea from AC and make one like it for the Farmalls ?

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#8 Eason

Eason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH

IH & NC State; only the best are red & white.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Would a 2 stage clutch such as a MF-135 or a IH 444 be considered "live"? Eason
IH stuff I own 4900 dta466,6588,Hydro 86,784,674,966,664,826D hydro,856,656D hydro row-crop utility,2544D hydro utility,1026 gold demo, Farmall 504D, 340(junk) Farmall 100, 1980 Scout Terra diesel,1976 Scout II, 1975 race scout,67 Loadstar,1976 Sundance Loadstar cub cadets; Big Country4x2,2166,782, 682,1250,126, 125, 72,122, 100, original 76, spirit of 76 IH air conditioner, literature, toys and many parts scouts 1992 Ford F-250 7.3 4wd,1983 Ford F-250 4wd with IH 6.9 diesel Used to own a 656 row crop utility, 544D utility, and a 544D Farmall all 3 red and gold demo's and 7288 s/n 18

#9 450G

450G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:Currently own Farmall 450 Gas NF #8679.
    Dad owned M #134851 from 1962 until 1971. Would love to find it again.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Would a 2 stage clutch such as a MF-135 or a IH 444 be considered "live"? Eason

My dad had a Fordson Major Diesel with a emblem in the grille that said "Live PTO Live Hydraulics" and it had a two stage foot clutch. So at least Ford (and I'm sure everyone else) would consider it live.

#10 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Good explanation cpg. You bring to mind a question I have had for years and never think to ask until now. I always thought the AC pto clutch worked the same as the M&W live pto clutch that I had on my Farmall M.So did M&W make the clutch for AC or did M&W get the idea from AC and make one like it for the Farmalls ?

Bill

BILL - Neighbor had several Allis's, a WD, WD-45, D17, D19. I always heard the Hand clutch was for use with the Roto-Balers, you had to stop feeding them so they could tie off the bale so needed the hand clutch so the PTO could continue running. The later D-series with the Hi & Lo range was a nice addition, but it was no T/A in operation, pulling the lever thru Neutral made a BIG jerk in forward progress dropping a speed on tough hills while doing field work.

The Allis hand clutch was a wet multiplate clutch, durable little unit, made in-house in West Allis I'm sure. M&W probably copied the idea for their live PTO for M's & H's from Allis. The Allis engine clutch was mounted on the engine in typical fashion, the hand clutch was located inside the torque tube, or clutch housing ahead of the transmission, similar to the TA, and the PTO was run like the LPTO in IH T/A equipped tractors, depending on model, either thru a solid shaft running thru the transmission & final drives (D-12) or dropped down and back by a separate gear box, (WD/WD-45). Not positive about the D-17/19 but suspect they were similar to the D-12 only much larger components.

Reply to this topic