361 cylinder sleeving problems

3 replies to this topic

#1 200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hi all,

I have pulled the cylinder sleeves on the 361 in my TD15B and I found some damage to the block in the #6 cylinder wall. See pics

This engine had been overhauled at some point and the damage was most likly done at that time.

The sleeve I removed looked like it was having no problems running with the gouged block cylinder wall behind it.

The bores measured somewhat out of round and the gouges are about .015 deep.

Do you think I can get away with honing for .010 oversize sleeves and leave what remains of the gouges?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• pics jan 16 2012 050 (Large).jpg
  • pics jan 16 2012 053 (Large).jpg

#2 LoggerLee

LoggerLee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Tractors,guns,trucks,antique equipment.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, but if ya hone it out .010 then that's only .005 on the side with the gouges in it, leaving gouges that are still .010 deep over there. Seems like you might find another sleeve that isn't gouged easier and would be happier with the result.
1 T20
1 TD14A
3 TD9s
And some TD14 street tracks and chains and sprockets I'd like to sell.

International Harvester crawler group on Facebook http://www.facebook....57096181046179/

#3 Butch-Ky

Butch-Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:tractor pulling,old tractors,hit an miss engins,farming

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fill in with Liquid metal sand smooth install sleeve will last about as long as machine.Just make sure to get all oil out of pits before applying

#4 nelson jr

nelson jr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

somebody ran a bead of weld up the side of the sleeve to shrink it so they could pull it, and got a little too hot. I know what caused the problem but not what you do to fix it.

Reply to this topic