"farm till its all gone"

me and my son planting corn with 1066 and 7200 12row planter in avatar

#12 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Back in 84 i think it was my dad had a fire also lightning hit the machine shed and shop . I was working for a const. co at the time and i was foreman for them at the time . I was unloading ships in buffington harbor in. that's where Trumps boat is currently . Anyway i saw the storm coming across lake michigan heading se. so i called our office and told them about it so they could get the blacktop crew stopped , [ they were paveing I-94 at the time , and i asked them to call my dad cause bhe was getting ready to plant at the furthest field from his house .] The storm was bad cause we had to stop unloading cause the lake got so rough that we were afraid of the ship hitting the booms on the cranes that we were using for unloading . But i got home that evening and my wife said had i come by dads on the way home , and i said no what happened and she said lightning hit the shop and burnt it down along with the machine shed . We lost everthing in the shop , in the mach. shed we lost 3 grain trucks. 1 had a load of corn on it , 2 loads of straw some antigue farm mach. and out of pure luck i used the scoop trac. the day before and left it in 2nd gear when i parked it , it had a habit of running backwards when you shut it off [ 606 utl. gas ] anyway the fire got hot enough it melted the wiring together and it started itself and out of the shed and the fire dept. put it out and got the battery cables off to stop it . Other than that all the other tract. were out in the field and we saved the scoup trac. still running today .
JOHN E . GROTT

#13 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

Nicely done sir! Thats one daunting task bringing a tractor back after a fire! Seems like once those family tractors leave the family they are tough to get back.....still tryin to find my great grandpas C.
Everybody bleeds red!

Reply to this topic