10 replies to this topic

#1 Mark O.

Mark O.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Over the years IHC has used a lot of different nomenclature to identify their different engines.

I know that the 6.9/7.3L diesel has had several different names depending upon the application. At Ford they became the Powerstroke. At IHC they were called the T444 with several suffixes.

When the 6.0L started production they were still called the Powerstroke over at Ford.

What was the 6.0L called at IHC?

When Case/IH developed what became the Cummins B-series four and six cylinder engines, what were they called at Case/IH?
Mark O.
Winlock, WA

#2 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Over the years IHC has used a lot of different nomenclature to identify their different engines.

I know that the 6.9/7.3L diesel has had several different names depending upon the application. At Ford they became the Powerstroke. At IHC they were called the T444 with several suffixes.

When the 6.0L started production they were still called the Powerstroke over at Ford.

What was the 6.0L called at IHC?

When Case/IH developed what became the Cummins B-series four and six cylinder engines, what were they called at Case/IH?

The "VT-365".

#3 Mark O.

Mark O.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

I was wondering if the VT-365 was the 6.0L.
Mark O.
Winlock, WA

#4 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yep, and near as I can tell, the 6.4L PSD is now called "the MAXX-FORCE 7".

#5 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

It sure helps to go the the International dealer for parts for a T444E rather than the Ford dealer for Powerstroke parts!
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#6 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yep, I've saved a boat-load of money buying parts at my local Navistar dealer for my '96 PSD in the last 16 yrs. My local Ford store wanted over $30 for the oil filter for it 16 years ago, My Navistar dealer charged $12, I get all my GPR's, CPS, fuel & oil filters there. I needed a thermostat last summer, Ford store wanted $60 including tax, Navistar dealer wasn't sure which one I needed, one was $12, other was $14. I ended up getting one at the other Ford strore for $28 including tax. I think my fan clutch is toast, I checked on line, the local Navistar parts guy said he could save me well over $100 but would have to see the old clutch to make sure I got the right one. When I replace it I'll see him first with my old clutch.

My local Farm & Fleet started carrying the Ford FL1995 oil filters a couple years ago for $10/each. I was surprised they weren't identicle to the Navistar filters. The fit, form, & function are identicle but the one filter has six bigger holes in the base plate and the other eight smaller holes.

#7 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

It is pretty crazy over here in Elkhorn/Janesville. The Ford dealer in Elkhorn has oil filters for $17 now and NAPA is selling them for $3X. I couldn't believe that one! I'm guessing they want to get people back there to buy parts.

FYI the up pipe gaskets from Navistar are WAY cheaper and WAY better than the Ford ones. I am thinking about doing mine pretty soon. My fuel milage is starting to drop off and that is a pretty common cause. I am going to check a little more once things heat up.

Also, if you need fuel drain valve o rings I have a big bag full. I bought a 100 from McMaster-Carr for the price of a couple anywhere else.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#8 ronm

ronm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Self-employed-farm equipment service
    TD6-1945, narrow tread, Isaacson dozer
    TD9-1944, US Army, B-E dozer
    1931 JD D
    1959 JD 435 Diesel
    1984 Ford F600 service truck
    '02 F250 Powerstroke
    Witte Diesel Genset
    bunch of old engines & stuff...

New addition-7/14
    1940 Tailseat Orchard D2 Cat...
    "Wilford"

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

When the killer cam position sensor let go on my '02 Super Duty, I was way out in the country at a customer's place...called Ford, as I wasn't sure if the warranty would still cover it or not. Service guy was very vague about the warranty, or whether it was actully the CPS or not, but they could tow it in-(20 mi.)-& maybe get to it Tuesday...(this being Thursday)...& a new CPS was $90...So, I hitched a ride home with my customer's "amigo" hired man, got in my service truck, buzzed up to International, got a CPS (same part #) for $30, buzzed out to the farm next morning & had her running in 5 min...6 mo. later, Ford announced the CPS recall...got the new supposedly bullet-proof one for free, but I still carry a spare... :rolleyes:

#9 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

FYI the up pipe gaskets from Navistar are WAY cheaper and WAY better than the Ford ones. I am thinking about doing mine pretty soon. My fuel milage is starting to drop off and that is a pretty common cause. I am going to check a little more once things heat up.

I'd be scared to try to do ANYTHING with my exh. manifolds, up pipes, etc. The manifolds & mounting studs are so rusty I'm afraid they would fall apart. I'm sure I'm loosing boost & MPG but I don't drive the old PSD much anymore. I'm sure I'd twist every stud off trying to remove any of the nuts.

I've never touched my oil cooler in 16 yrs & 300,000 miles. I'm waiting for that last flake of rust to fall off the outside and it start leaking. I'm looking forward to THAT job too.

#10 Howard_P

Howard_P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:IH History

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

The V-6 was first called the VT-275 and the V-8 the VT-365 (Don't ask me how they got those numbers as those aren't the displacements).

They became the Maxxforce 5 and 7.

Reply to this topic