5 replies to this topic

#1 Tripp

Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

I though I would share the latest to the collection: This very rare 806 farm set. This was the first one released in 1964 and is known as the "flat box" version of the farm set. The "shed box" version came out in 1966 and is more frequently seen/found.

The box is not mint. However, this type of box didn't survive very well as it was 'flimsy' given the weight of the toys. It's interesting to note that on the cover of the box it says it came with a spreader, but it never did (just the tractor, wagon, plow, and disk).

I find you have to be real careful if you want a mint original 806. There are so many repaints out there, and some of them done years ago that they can be harder to tell if they're original or not. I've always wanted a mint original 806 early version and a very unique farm set, and now I have both with this latest addition - enjoy!

Attached Files

• Attached File  one.jpg   336.99KB   60 downloads

#2 Tripp

Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

More pics of the individual pieces..........

Attached Files

• Attached File  four.jpg   102.55KB   48 downloads
  • Attached File  six.jpg   119.25KB   68 downloads
  • Attached File  three.jpg   112.35KB   53 downloads

#3 ih1568

ih1568

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:2+2, V-8s,5488 mfd, ih toy tractors and literature, driving old tractors

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Very unique never seen one before
Hard work always pays off!

#4 red farmer

red farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

that is really neat! first i ever saw one too. very good find!

my red tractors: c, h, super m, 1206, 826 gold demonstrator, 1026 gold demonstrator, 1086, 5488
782 &782d cub cadet

off breed: jd a

case ih 7500 5 bottom auto reset moldboard plow, 2 little genius 2 bottom plows

god bless america and the farmer that feeds your fat ass!

#5 56series

56series

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:Family, Anything IHC, Farming, and Turn Wrench for a CAT dealer.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

How many years you been looking for that Tripp? I have never seen or heard of that set. I know if it were mine when I was a kid, there would have been very little chance it would look like that.

Jason

#6 Tripp

Tripp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi Jason - Like you, I've never seen this one before (but read of it and is noted in the price guide = $2,550 !!!!!!), just the other version. To be honest, I've been looking for a mint original 806 for years. Given the number of 806 "fakes" out there by sellers (repaints that too many sellers don't admit to or don't give direct answers about), I pretty much gave up on a mint original and would have to go NIB. I really like NIB and do buy them, but the problem with an 806 NIB = big money: especially the early version of 1964/65 (round fenders).

Another aspect is that of all the toys in my collection, I don't have a farm set!! I always liked the 966 farm set and thought I would get one some day to satisfy that part of my collection, but they aren't cheap either! So.....with this purchase it was a win-win: an original 806.......and a farm set!

You can't tell in the picture, but believe it or not, the original muffler is in it! It's very dried up and fragile and I'll leave it off the tractor. Again, the box is far from mint, but at least I have the box (and a very rare one) and an original 806...!

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way beating up on those that like or do repaints of the old toys. Those that do repaints do so for many good reasons (eg restoring a childhood treasure) and that's great! There are also those that don't mind collecting repaints as it may be an economical way to get into collecting, for example, and that's great too! I'm beating up those sellers that try to pass repaints off (unknowingly - ya...right), especially to new collectors to the hobby and charge for them accordingly. I've seen it happen too often and new collectors later find out the hard way that they were burned.

PS: .......and if anyone ever finds themselves in a purchase that they aren't sure of, please post a question or PM me, and I'd be more than happy to help so that you don't part with your hard earned cash on something you might not be happy with later on.

Best regards!!