5 replies to this topic

#1 FSB

FSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Maybe someone knows this. I'm wondering if the right hand rear axle of a Farmall cub will also bolt on and work on the left hand side.

I'm thinking of making an almost 2/3 scale? of a Farmall Regular or F20 or F30. I'm thinking of using a 154 Cub front half and the back half of an original Farmall Cub by using two long back axles; and making a homemade front end to resemble a Regular -- or maybe just a center lined Farmall Cub parade tractor with the original Cub wide front axle and two long back axles; maybe with a seat wide enough for three.

I'm wondering -- on a 154 there is an 1-1/4 spacer on the right hand side but the drop axles appear to be the same right and left.

I realize the brake for the right wheel is out at the drop axle and for the left wheel the brake band is sunk in somewhat to the differential housing. That's why I'm wondering if the long axle will fit ont he left side or will the axle be too short?

The 154 frame rails already resemble a Regular or F series Farmall. I realize that if it would work the right hand side would be about 1-1/4 narrower than the left.

My reason for using a Cub rather than a Farmall B is the Cub is smaller and easier to transport.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

#2 Farmall504#20

Farmall504#20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts
  • Interests:Farmall C and Super C's . Farmall 504's and Anything that was made by INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

"Why Farm Half When You Can FARMALL"

My IH Collection
    1949 Farmall C
    1950 Farmall Cub White Demonstrator
    1951 Farmall Cub
    1951 Farmall Super C
    1959 Farmall 240
    1961 Cub Cadet Original
    1961 Farmall 504(Ser #520)
    1961 IH Cub Lo-boy
    1963 Farmall 140,
    1970 Cub Cadet 106
    #8 Little genius plow on 14"s
    #8 Little genius plow on 3 bottom 16"s
    #C-20 Plow
    #111 Two Way Plow Fast Hitch
    #184 Fast hitch McCormick Planter
    #189 Cub Two way plow
    2001 Kubota B-7500 HST Landscape tractor(thinks its a IH)

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Yes you can Ive see 2 or 3 tricycle cubs before . pretty neat looking .

Posted Image

Farmall 504 #20
Why Farm Half When You Can FARMALL
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmall51

mainBanner.jpg

Like Us on facebook @

https://www.facebook.com/IHCC37

#3 Harold H

Harold H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Interests:MY COLLECTION: (TOYS)
    1947 International I-4
    1961 Volkswagon Beetle "Herbie"
    196? Hobie Cat 16'7"
    1968 Cub Cadet 122
    1970 Cub Cadet 105
    1982 Fiat 124 Spider
    1988 Suzuki/Amphijeep "Baby Duck"
    1992 Alegro/Ford E350 Class C Motor Home
    1996 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel
    FORMER COLLECTION TRACTORS:
    1950 Farmall H
    1957 Farmall 130 High Clear
    196? Minn Moline 110
    1968 Cub Cadet 123
    197? Cub Cadet 582
    197? Cub Cadet 12??
    1980 Struck Mini Dozer
    ALSO LIKE:
    Antique airplanes
    Antique cars & trucks
    Trains
    Travel

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

I have seen several regular Cub's that have been converted to tricycle front and equal sided rear. They did not look like too complicated a conversion. Making it look like a small scale Regular should be interesting. Several times I have thought about converting my I-4 into a small scale "Rice Field Special WR-4" but decided to keep it stock. I would love to have a real WR-9 but they are much too big to be practicle for me, was my idea for making a WR-4.

Harold H

#4 RaymondDurban

RaymondDurban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Farmall Cub

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

In order to have the tractor centered, you'll need the spacer on the right side like the 154, but then you'll need to lengthen the differential shaft. For the left side, the axle extension will bolt right on, but you'll need a differential shaft of the same length on the left as you now have on the right (so two the same length). If you decide to skip the spacer and not worry about the slight offset, you'll still need the longer than stock differential shaft for the left side. Either way If you go with the double seat like the one above, there's still an issue with the floorpan for the left, you'll need to fab up something to fill in the gap, along with figuring out a way to attach it to the left side of the case.
It's all not a bolt on mod, you will need to do some welding and fabrication

On the 154, the finals are not interchangeable because there is only one brake opening. They also cannot be rotated 90*, but can however be rotated 180* provided you reroute the brake linkages to the rear. Farmall Cub finals can be swapped (two brake openings), and also rotated 180*. Typically if swapped, the axle stays on the same side due to the planter drive.

#5 John cub owner

John cub owner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

One of the people who built a tricycle cub told me he had to machine the transmission to mount an axle extnesion on the left side. He said it was pretty involved.

#6 RaymondDurban

RaymondDurban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Farmall Cub

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

One of the people who built a tricycle cub told me he had to machine the transmission to mount an axle extnesion on the left side. He said it was pretty involved.

John, on the tricycle that George built, he lengthened the shaft on the left side (1 1/4" I believe) and bolted the axle extension on. On the right, he left it stock. His tricycle is not a "centerline" tractor.
On the RatCub, he cut and milled the 1 1/4" bumpout off the side of the transmission and drilled and tapped new holes in the case for the axle extension and the floorpan. This way he didn't have to extend the differential shaft or fill the 1 1/4" gap between the floorpan and case. By milling the side of the case off, the tractor is now centered except for the front axle, which he left the pivot offset.

Reply to this topic