Two Cub Cadet Dealers in Urbana, Ohio

13 replies to this topic

#1 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

This will be interesting. Two Cub Cadet Dealers in Urbana, Ohio a small town in SW Ohio.

TSC (Tractor Supply) getting set to open new store directly across street fron existing Cub Cadet Dealer. Our Dealership is just down the street from both of them. Lots of debate on how this will effect the existing Cub Cadet Dealer.

I say if handled correctly this should be a plus for the existing full service Dealer. When folks visit TSC to look at Cadets they will see the Dealer across the street and hopefullycheck there before buying. If so this is the time the Dealer can show his full line of inventory, full service and parts, and instant availibilty of advice anytime help is needed . I think the Dealer can compete on price also with TSC ?

Any way time will tell.

We at the Case/IH Dealership are looking forward to TSC opening. Now our customers can come to east side of Urbana on US RT 36 and shop Case/IH,Salford, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Stihl,Simplicity,Scag, ExMark, Grasshopper, Woods and TSC all in a 2 mile stretch.5 total storesThis should bring more potential customers to our store.

Bring 'em on !

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#2 bocephus1991

bocephus1991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:IHC, Cub Cadets,Old Fords,Toy Tractors, Building things General tinkering!

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I live in Jeff City Mo and accross the hwy from tsc is caseih selling cubs too!

Brian

#3 Bermuda_Ken

Bermuda_Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,279 posts
  • Interests:IH & Kenworth literature, O-scale trains.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

A number of CCC dealers balked at the idea of having CCC's sold by the "big box" retailers initially. I personally think it is a great move and Cub Cadet has made the sales $$$ to prove it. Here are the pluses only a dealer can offer...

Waranty.........if needs warrany work, it has to go to an authorized warranty center. The big box is not this.
Parts & service....the dealer will outstock the big box everyday and they have much more experience with the product. The big box will only carry a few common parts for the current models. Nothing for the older ones.
FREE DELIVERY.....dealers offer this, big box DO NOT.
Trade ins.......some dealers take, them. Big box DO NOT..

Overall....the customer buying at/from a big box probably has never been to a dealer/doesn't know they exist and they may be to far way or have "nonfriendly" hours for them. For me, as long as they buy a Cub Cadet, I'm there to support them. The big box sales are adding to the total machine population and all mowers run on parts. The parts have to be bought somewhere. Thanks Big Box for making my (potential) machine population (future parts sales) larger. ;)

Get the RED EDGE......the IH Edge.....working for you!

Still looking for a IH 4300 Transtar Eagle Brougham Truck!! (like the one in the photo)

IH's owned past & present.......F-1206, F-806 sn# 501, CC Original # 522, CC Original(s), Spirit of 76 Cadet, 126, 1450, 1200, 1610 CADET prototype, 1250(2), 782(2), 782-Diesel(2), 982(2), 1912 & More!

See the LARGEST FREE listing of Modern IH tractor wiring diagrams on the internet (at least for now) by clicking....IH Tractor Wiring Diagrams

Visit the IH dealership I work at, Johnson Tractor (2012 Dealership of the Year) in Juda, WI......... www.johnsontractor.com

Contributing author for Red Power, Classic Farm & Tractor, Heritage Iron and Classic Tractor magazines. IH Tractor book author for Motorbooks, Voyager Press & Octane Press.......BUY A COPY & Read a book!!!
rededge.jpg

#4 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Ken,

All good points that you bring up.

When I was in sales my main objective was to get to make my presentation to someone ready to buy. Hearing of local customer buying equipment without me getting to talk to them made me sad.

Your comments reminds me of my good friend who was a Deere Dealer and sold a lot of Lawn Equipment. He also serviced a lot of customers who had bought from a big box store. He didn't worry about that. His goal was that they only buy one from those stores and they would be his customer from then on.

When I became the Parts Manager at the Ford Automotive Dealership , these lessons also were true. There were 11 Ford and L-M Dealers in the Dayton ,Ohio area that we were part of. I built a large wholesale business with delivery to local Body Shops and Repair Shops. We didn't care who sold the Ford's , just wanted a bunch of them wearing out the roads arounds us. All vehicles and equipment need parts when they are being used. The more of our brand being used the better.

I have always said you can buy the best Tractor, Combine, Car, Truck, and Equipment made but if you can't get Parts or Service quickly when they break then they aren't worth a hoot while down !

Bill

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#5 Hoot

Hoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

Bill.......the current Cub Cadet dealer across the street won't be the only competitor TSC will have with the same product, your dealership will also have competition from TSC at Christmas time with toy sales. Not to worry because your dealership carries a wider inventory of IH & CaseIH toys than TSC does. TSC sells only Ertl products while you guys also sell Spec Cast products along with Ertl.

I think it's good that Urbana is getting a TSC because there is no real ag supply store around other than Springfield, Marysville and Bellefontaine. It was a sad day when the CT store closed a few years ago.

I agree with you; "Bring 'em on!"
Git-R-Done with a 2 way plow, one way plows are for show, parades, and plow days.

IH Equipment; '68 656D, 642 4 Bottom Rollover Plow, 535 3 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 540 4 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 12' 370 Disc, 18' 470 Disc, 18' 45 Field Cultivator, and 12' 2 Section Spike Tooth Harrow. Also lots of IH Toy Tractors.

Also have a black sheep; an AC 7045 and it stays in the shed.

My avatar is a spittin' image of my Golden Retriever "Sadie"

#6 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

KEN, BILL, HOOT, I think people may have figured out the place to buy your new CC is from the local dealer already. Wife & I were in the one local BB Store a week ago on Saturday. Nobody was kicking tires on any of the lawn mowers... except the four yr old kids. ;-)

#7 exSW

exSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • Interests:Red farm and Construction equipment,fast cars,guns

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Bill.......the current Cub Cadet dealer across the street won't be the only competitor TSC will have with the same product, your dealership will also have competition from TSC at Christmas time with toy sales. Not to worry because your dealership carries a wider inventory of IH & CaseIH toys than TSC does. TSC sells only Ertl products while you guys also sell Spec Cast products along with Ertl.

I think it's good that Urbana is getting a TSC because there is no real ag supply store around other than Springfield, Marysville and Bellefontaine. It was a sad day when the CT store closed a few years ago.

I agree with you; "Bring 'em on!"

You said a mouthful there.Central Tractor was a FARM STORE,i don't know what TSC has become even if I am there a lot.

66 706D NF FH,59 560D,54 TD-6(sold),Model 46 baler,Model 76 combine,Model 155 Spreader,Model 56 planter,100 FH mower,463 FH cult(2),782 Cub Cadet(2),682 INTERNATIONAL Cub Cadet,1650 cubcadet w/50A mower and 1A(?) rototiller,311 FH plows(3),FH subsoiler,Fast hitch carry-all,10'8" FH disk,FH post hole digger(needs ring gear),FH landside hitch(I think) and looking for more!

Member Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineer's and Trainmen Division 757
UT Martin '87
"Get there the firstis' with the mostis'"Nathan Bedford Forrest
Sire of:2011-2012 PA State FFA Association Sentinel (TLC)
Scars are Tattoos with better stories

#8 spudland_dave

spudland_dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I think its a good thing...seen it in action. Typical "Non Tractor People" wont go to dealers when it comes time to buy...its as if they're scared too. My former boss bought a Home Depot Deere...I TRIED To get him to support the dealer, but he didnt....It still ended up in the Dealer shop twice and was "back burnered". I had to refrain from the "Told You So" dance...LOL..next tractor he bought CAME from the dealer.

IMO it wont hurt...only help dealers by getting the brand out there.

#9 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Ken Updike brought up the point of some of the things Big Box stores do to lure the "Weekend Warrior" or "Farmer Wanabees" in to buy their mowers.

Weekend and evening hours, Easy Credit plans for purchase, etc. The consumer with no mechanical knowledge doesn't even think about parts, service, and breakdown issues until after the purchase when they do need it.

I will give the Cadet Dealer here in Urbana credit as they do stay open later in season including Sunday hours.

Bill

#10 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Interesting side note to our new TSC soon to open here in Urbana. They are going into the old Wal-Mart location. Wal-Mart built a new Super Store about 4 years ago and moved right across the road from us. Rumor was that TSC looked at the old location back then and decided against it since they already have a store in Springfield,11 miles south and a store in Bellefontaine, 20 miles to the north.Suddenly they are now opening a new store. Why the change in thought? Rumor has it RURAL KING was thinking of moving in to that old Wal Mart location. TSC decided to move in so RURAL KING wouldn't ?

Have not been to a RURAL KING as there is none close. What do you folks that have one think of them? Seen some ads and look similar to TSC. Maybe even larger, with more true Farmer items ?

If this rumor is true and RURAL KING wants in this area there are other places they could locate and still come in. Be interesting how this all pans out.

Bill

Reply to this topic