13 replies to this topic

#11 Hoot

Hoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

Bill.........there is a Rural King at Wooster up in Wayne Co here in Ohio. I went there for the first time with a couple of friends last summer after going to the Oliver show. I was impresed with it, much larger and bigger selection than TSC and wish we had one down in this area. The guys I went with told me they go up there several times a year for some items that TSC does not carry and in some cases get better prices on the same items.
Git-R-Done with a 2 way plow, one way plows are for show, parades, and plow days.

IH Equipment; '68 656D, 642 4 Bottom Rollover Plow, 535 3 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 540 4 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 12' 370 Disc, 18' 470 Disc, 18' 45 Field Cultivator, and 12' 2 Section Spike Tooth Harrow. Also lots of IH Toy Tractors.

Also have a black sheep; an AC 7045 and it stays in the shed.

My avatar is a spittin' image of my Golden Retriever "Sadie"

#12 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for your input Hoot.

I went on to RURAL KING's web site and see they also have stores in Circleville, OH and Hamilton, OH. Since my Daughter and family lives near Cincinnati maybe I could side track to Hamilton to check out one of the stores.

Bill

I sold Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, but now retired !
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I worked full time and then part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer. Now retired
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; Lakeview, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#13 spudland_dave

spudland_dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Ken Updike brought up the point of some of the things Big Box stores do to lure the "Weekend Warrior" or "Farmer Wanabees" in to buy their mowers.

Weekend and evening hours, Easy Credit plans for purchase, etc. The consumer with no mechanical knowledge doesn't even think about parts, service, and breakdown issues until after the purchase when they do need it.

I will give the Cadet Dealer here in Urbana credit as they do stay open later in season including Sunday hours.

Bill

Yep, here in ME no dealers of any sort open past noon on a Saturday, on Sunday they are completely closed (Same goes for car ealers)...blue laws. So when your only open 5 Hours during the weekend when 90% of the population is shopping for equipment, it makes it tough.
About the only thing I'd add is just treat those "Big Box Buyers" good and you'll get the repeat business. I know of one of the dealers around here who has the "you didnt buy it from me so to heck with you" mentality and I'm sure he's blaming it on the big boxes. But buyers of those machines are "one time shoppers" in terms of that brand. The other color dealer seems to be able to get those Box machines buyers as normal customers on future purchases of equipment.
Ultimately It is what you make of it (isnt that true of life in general)...from your initial post, I think you guys have the right outlook. When you hear other dealers or people crying foul at the box store sales, I know what comes to my mind first.

#14 FarmallFan

FarmallFan

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts
  • Location:Hicksville, Ohio (don't laugh!!) NW OHIO 1.5 miles from Farmer OH
  • Interests:IH tractors and Equipment, Web design, Computer repair, basically anything technology related.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Rural King also has a store in Van Wert OH. They do have much more stuff then the TSC stores.

BJ
Owner of a 1941 Farmall H that is waiting to be painted.

Reply to this topic