360 engine size

11 replies to this topic

#1 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Ok i know this has been covered over and over and over but perusing around the internet i have found length meausrments for a DT360 diesel ranging from 36 in to 44 in. I was considering one of these for an old ford F250 but pretty much ruled it out in favor of the 6.9l IDI due to length. if some one has on of these motors that is easily accesable to accuratly measure the length i would really appreciate it (I don't want factory literture or hear say i want real world measurements so i can stop thinking about it). Nothing else that way i can rule it out for good since it is on the heavy side of what i want but its a much better design. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

#2 Butch-Ky

Butch-Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:tractor pulling,old tractors,hit an miss engins,farming

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

A 360 block run around 2 1/2 to 3 in shorter than a 466 that being said what pullies that are on front of engine can add up to close to 6 inchs

#3 Butch-Ky

Butch-Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

Block length is 33in ,over all length with a 3 pulley set up is 38 in total, lower rad hose intrance is close to that length. weigh If my old mind is right is 2140lb . You can change the pulley problem but the bottom hose take's some
thougth.

#4 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

Is that suppose to be 1240lb. I seem to have found several people who say that these engines way between 1200 and 1300 lbs. A touch heavy for my pickup but probably doable with a front axle swap. I greatly appreciate you meauserments. I figure that i could probably get about 40in worth of engine in if i move the radiator all the way forward and don't touch the firewall. the lower radiator hose doesn't worry me to much as i should be able to get it hooked up somehow. The pullies on the front might be a problem, I don't really need the full truck pully set up as my only assecories are basically the alternator and maybe power steering if i upgrade it. I doubt i could run a mechanical fan due to length so it will probaly have to be electric. Could i get a smaller pully setup off of an ag application?? or i guess i could figure out some way to put custom pullies on it that are tighter in on the block. Seriously reconsidering this option for my 64 F250.

#5 bocephus1991

bocephus1991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:IHC, Cub Cadets,Old Fords,Toy Tractors, Building things General tinkering!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Something else you could do is find a 80's model ford like a F-350 with a 6.9 or 7.3 in take the body off your 64 and put on it.

Brian

#6 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

A 6.9l swap is my most practical plan right now because i had pretty much ruled out the 360 due to lenght but if the meausrments above are correct i think it could work so now im reconsidering. The 6.9l would still be lighter and therefore better suited for a pickup. The 360 would just be so cool.

#7 Hooptech78

Hooptech78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Jack-off or all trades

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have a sick plan of wanting to do a 360 swap into a pickup someday just to show the Cummins boys that theyre not the only show on the block. 360's get very little credit for what they are, in their day id say they were the best small medium duty engine out there, and theyre not throwaways to boot.
Beef cattle and crops on 200 acres, Iron we run 806D, oliver 1800D, Case 970D, JD2630, JD 6615, 2 H's, 2 C's, Super M, 200, 1992 Int. 4700 dump, 75 ford f600 dump, 2007 chev 2500 hd, former Cat engine tech and Deere Const. and Forestry Tech. Equipment/truck mechanic at PennDot

#8 59flatbedford

59flatbedford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

Yea I really like the fact that are built to work and to last and have liners like a real diesel. After doing some measuring I think I could get it in but I think it would look a little to cramped. Still thinking on it but it would be tight by the time I figure in a big radiator. plus there is the weight issue. Lots of benefits to the 360 just not sure it's worth the extra cost and work over a 6.9l.

#9 Hooptech78

Hooptech78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Jack-off or all trades

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Im trying to think how that whole steering system is going to work on that, my 68 ford has a dana 44HD and im sure it would have a hard time taking the pounding from a cast iron monster like that on a regular basis, Im sure power steering adapted in and at least a D 60 will be needed. Why be afraid of doing a little bit of firewall work to keep the engine back a bit, shouldnt be too bad in one of those old trucks, even a body lift can aid things a bit, on top of allowing more room for a bit larger medium duty tranny, a 6 spd spicer would be cool :rolleyes:
Beef cattle and crops on 200 acres, Iron we run 806D, oliver 1800D, Case 970D, JD2630, JD 6615, 2 H's, 2 C's, Super M, 200, 1992 Int. 4700 dump, 75 ford f600 dump, 2007 chev 2500 hd, former Cat engine tech and Deere Const. and Forestry Tech. Equipment/truck mechanic at PennDot

#10 Butch-Ky

Butch-Ky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

You can use Ag parts to use single pulley set up. use truck front plate that has gear drive power steering pump or combine plate for pump.If I was tring this I would set engine back in firewall, Going to take a lot of front end work to carry this load I know of a 4 wheel drive Ford That has a 570 IH in it.( But alot of beefy parts)

Reply to this topic