23 replies to this topic

#1 sea of red

sea of red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Got a 282 with supposedly lower hours on rebuild from many years ago from previous owner so he says. But anyway, it's been runnin good and has never failed me since ownin it for about a year. I got around to cleanin some of the grease off the oil filter side one day late last fall and noticed just behind the oil filter where the head gasket is, it was bubblin air I think. I didn't notice fluids comin out. Like I said, the motor runs good but I'm guessin early signs of head gasket?? Haven't ran the tractor at all this winter for snow removal as THERE IS NONE! Mild here in Saskatchewan!
Always love the forums!

Cory

#2 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

maybe you could check the head bolt torque and tighten the leak up?

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#3 sea of red

sea of red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Is 110lbs good or should I go tighter?

Cory

#4 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

115 ft/lbs is the torque spec for the head bolts.

#5 656D

656D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

My book for are 560 said 120 ft. pounds
International A, H, 560D, 656D, 1066, 184 Lo-Boy
Case 1210, 1370, 3294
Steiger Cougar II

#6 George 2

George 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,709 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

From my experience with a 282 in a Farmall 560 that is where the headgasket starts leaking. I suspect you have a head gasket replacement coming up soon. They are not a hard one to change out.

#7 sea of red

sea of red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Should I have the head gone through if I remove it even though it's runnin good? If so what would a cost figure be so I can compare.

Cory

#8 IA_IH

IA_IH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Should I have the head gone through if I remove it even though it's runnin good? If so what would a cost figure be so I can compare.

Cory

Last head I did ran around 550 US. It was pretty tired, but ought to be good for another few decades now. Tanked, crack checked, surfaced, all new vales, seats, guides, springs. Since the head will be off, take it to a good machine shop to clean and crack check carefully. 282D heads are known for cracking, so invest just a little to get an opinion, before committing any work.

#9 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Cory

Always.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#10 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

It depends totally on the condition of the head. I have cleaned up many heads and done no repairs except new valve seals if used. But, those engines are noted for head gasket problems so you will probably find some pitting and a need to resurface. Thing is, the worst thing you can do to a diesel engine is to give it a valve job if it does not need it. The seats may look pitted but they will again in a 100 hours. Heck, even on Nebraska tests, they pulled the head on one model IH and reported valve seat pitting and IH sent out letters quickly to inform (test readers) that this was normal. Guess what I am saying is it takes someone with an experienced eye to tell you if it needs repairs. Your call.

Reply to this topic