Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Farm equipment, hunting, raising 5 daughters & sweet corn, guns

1948 Farmall MD, 1960 International B-275, 1995 F-250 Powerstroke

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I have a 1995 F-250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke which came without a turbo intercooler. I found an intercooler and was seriously considering installing it.

So the questions: Do I need to worry about any programming, controls or instrumentation? I am under the impression you can just install it without modifying anything beyond the piping and intercooler itself.

Has anyone seen much of an increase in fuel economy by installing an intercooler? I know you will get some power and that would be nice towing, but that would not be my primary reason for doing it.

Are there any negative aspects to installing the intercooler?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie

#2 international disaster

international disaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

they do help but if its a used cooler you must be carfull it could have been on somthing that bloow a turbo or other engine component that went through the cooler and if it did its impossable to get all the pieces out causing them to get sucked through into the engine

#3 BOOMER

BOOMER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH Red or Ford Blue

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I installed a Banks Power Pack on my 97 back in 2003? which includes a intercooler . Wasn't too bad of a job overall but the whole front end has to come off (grill ,headlights , bumper , ect.) and you have to sawsall the holes in the radiator support ;) .

1938 Farmall F-20  , 1954 Farmall Super M-TA Gas, 1959 Farmall 560 Turbo Diesel with Woods belly mower , 1967 Farmall 656 Hydro Diesel , 1969 Farmall 856 Custom Turbo Diesel with a Westendorf loader & Hiniker Cab

#4 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

I would do it. Go over to ford-trucks.com and search around and you will find plenty of reading material on this. I suggest on looking at the OBS (Old Body Style) section. Their search also works a lot better than most. They are REALLY great guys over there and very helpful.

Like the one poster said, if you buy a used one you should get it cleaned and pressure checked to save problems.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#5 Bernie

Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I had not thought of the possibility of garbage in the intercooler. That is a good tip. Thanks ID.

Scott, I did as you suggested and went to ford-trucks.com. Amazing stuff there. There was a detailed picture sequence showing each step to add a later intercooler to the 95's.

I don't think my welding is good enough to make the modifications to the air tubes. The banks intercooler kit is about $1400, and I don't want to spend that much on this old of a rig.

Based on what I read, I might be better off getting a chip. A lot easier and a lot cheaper. I won't get the reduced temperatures, but I don't think that is too much of a problem for me.

#6 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

Don't forget there are shops that specialize in welding and fabrication and cash in hand goes a long way when you walk in the door.

What do you need to do? On the 7.3s when you want a 6.0 cooler they make special reduction boots so you don't need to do anything.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#7 Bernie

Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

I stayed up too late last night reading on ford-trucks.com. I finally got smart and googled 'best mods 7.3'. Took me right back to ford-trucks.com.
Based on comments from several people, I am thinking of the following:
  • replace the exhaust down pipe in front of the fire wall to remove the restriction; this requires bending the firewall. cash in hand at the local diesel performance shop is the likely method
  • replace the air intake and filter with an 'open' filter. I need to do a bit of homework to convince myself that I won't suck in water out hunting, but otherwise this seems to make a lot of sense. More than one person said the down pipe and the filter together made a noticeable improvement in performance.
  • install a chip. There are some really good ones that allow you to select the type of performance you want: economy, towing, heavy towing, etc.
  • install instrumentation. (I was planning to do this anyway). Exhaust gas temperature is important for longevity, and it would give me an indication if inter-cooling was worth spending money on.
I believe I can do all of the above and receive more bang for the buck than with the inter-cooler. Plus, I would have toys to play with and gauge needles to keep me entertained while driving. :) If I had the time and welding skills, I would tackle the intercooler myself. Maybe some day, but not today.

#8 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yep, I did all of those. I have a Super Duty, but the same principles apply. We don't have to bend our firewall for a 4" turbo back.

I rock a 4" Silverline turbo back with muffler, 4463 homemade air intake, DP Tuner, and Banks gauges. I would guess I have about $1000 in all of that stuff. I scoured the internet for deals on the exhaust. I bought gauges from a guy who never installed them in his truck. The only time DP Tuner is ever on sale is right before Christamas and they have a 10% off sale. The filter I bought at NAPA. Some companies are doing packages now where if you buy all that stuff together you get a deal. ITP Diesel (?) is a good one. Look for sponsers of FTE, they are all pretty good prices from what I have seen.

The filter doesn't suck in water. I replace mine once a year, but don't drive my truck much more than 10k in a year. I hunt, I plow snow, I do it all and I have never had it wet. If you are super concerned about it build a cold air intake around it or buy an AFE cold air intake.
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

#9 Bernie

Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks Scott.

I'm going to start with the down pipe. It is really small. There is a diesel performance shop in Billings. I see they sell the AFE intake and do exhaust work. I'm going to talk to them about installing the down pipe and see what their experiences with the intakes have been.

Last fall hunting, we crossed a creek bottom that was probably 75 feet long and about 6 to 12 inches deep in water. There were ruts, so the water really came up. A guy I know got water into a Dodge Dakota engine and it came apart. His son was driving, so we don't know for sure what happened (might be a bit of coverup involved :ph34r: ) but would hate even more to have that happen to a diesel $$$.

Bernie

#10 Scott!

Scott!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

I have had water up to my door sills and no problems. I saw a guy waterlock a V-10 Dodge just a few crossings down from the one I went across. He goosed it to show off his new truck and there she locked. Pulled the plugs and pushed the water out and she lived.

Talk to Cowboy Steve. He is in Montana (or somewhere way over there) and is an OBS nut. I talked to him many years ago when I started playing with my truck. His number is five zero nine - seven two seven - 8922 He is a really nice guy and he might just have some take off parts for you. ;)
'49 Farmall MD
'54 Farmall SMTA
'43 Farmall H
'51 McCormick WD-9

Reply to this topic