#1 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:Farming, BowHunting, Hay production, cattle, IH TRACTORS

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

What is the correct oil pressure on a 1066? Or what do you guys engines run at? Just changed the oil and filters on the tractor. Start ot up (no problem) and goes to one mark down from 75psi mark. I don't remember it doing that before, only had machine for few months, let it warm up and idle still at that point. WOT pushes up to 75 psi. I'm runnin 15w-40. Have not had a chance to work it for long period of time but want to know if there is a problem before I really do something. Is it because I'm running a heavier oil? My first post on the greatest board on the web. Any help from more knowledgeable IH people then me would be great!!!

Thank you from a beginning farmer

#2 Red Tech

Red Tech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

I would feel very comfortable with that oil pressure, however I would never run a multi-weight oil in that engine. I need the knowledge of other IH mechanics to verify this, but didn't IH have a service bulletin advising only straight-weight oil in the engines up to the CDC engines? Others, please weigh in with your opinions on this topic.

#3 The3crossfarm

The3crossfarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my wife, children and grandchildren. Hunting and fishing and Rv travel,
    My old farm equipment and old equipment from the past.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hello onecincyfarmer66 and welcome to the forum!
One thing I was warned about when I first joined he forum was dont ask what kind of oil to run because it really must have stirred the pot somewhere down the (before my time).... All I will say is they did not run multigrade oils back then hint hint. Enjoy my friend
My Equipment, IH 856, IH 1066, Massey ferguson 135 Diesel, Allis Chamlers 30 KW Diesel Generator, Ford (Dorset)50 KW Diesel Generator (Home Back up Power). 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Single rear wheel 5.9 , 6-speed with 4" Magna flow exhaust, AFE Big air flow box, Edge Programmer Pushing 450 HP (My Farm and Tow Truck), 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 , 6-speed with 5" Magna flow exhaust, AFE Big air flow box and big Snorkle which is a great RV pulling truck.

The grass withers, the flower fades: but the Word of our God shall stand forever.
Isaiah 40:8

#4 Doc Egor

Doc Egor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

Oil pressure sounds normal.
Those old borden tube style gages develop a "habit" of showing that pressure.
They are mechanical and inside is a bent tube that straightens as the oil pressure forces oil into it. A arm connected to the tube and a set of gears moves the needle.
All of this stuff only moves a very small amount...after several decades fatigue takes it's toll and the gage becomes less and less accurate.

If you are worried, try another gage to verify.
15W-40 is pretty thick once the temp starts drop so engine/oil heaters are advised if you are going to use it to avoid oil starvation on start up.
#30 is prefered on those older engines for normal/heavy service. It also prolongs the life of the injector pump as it is lubricated by engine oil as well.
#10 is a good winter weight, if you want to use a multiweight 10W-30 is a much better choice than 15w-40 for light duty cold weather service.

#5 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

There are many things that the IH engineers did right when they designed the 400 series engine. OIL was one of those things that they GOT RIGHT!! A crank driven oil pump that has lots of capacity. Typically I see 75psi on the stock gauge on all but the most tired 400 series engines. I would check the pressure with a different gauge just to make sure.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#6 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Oil pressure specifications are with engine temperature at 190º - 210º F, 30W oil, at rated RPM: 45 - 65 PSI.
Minimum pressure at low idle 675 - 800 RPM is 15 - 30 PSI.

#7 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

OK thanks to the IH people who know more than me. I guess I run this oil through and change to #30 the next oil change in summer.

#8 IKS

IKS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Making "stuff" and tractors from "The Muscle Tractor Era"

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I am not a tech,or reliable source ,just a comment .My 1066/1086both had or have sick electronic gauges that would bounce and very at any moment ,I run 15-40 year around and got over 8000 hours on 1206-1066 and 1086 I can't see the oil viscocity was a signifacant issue .
Ian

#9 onecincyfarmer66

onecincyfarmer66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Just wanted to update. Ran the tractor this weekend and pressure came back down to midway. Makes me feel much better, thanks for advice.

#10 656D

656D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

Every time are 1066 runs it maxes out the oil psi gauge.
International A, H, 560D, 656D, 1066, 184 Lo-Boy
Case 1210, 1370, 3294
Steiger Cougar II

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1066, oil pressure, oil, dt414, help