check valve ? maybe 6 injectors?

#12 chip man

chip man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

Check the glow plug relay. With a powerstroke engine, the voltage drops at least 3 volts, and if the relay is old the terminals inside get burnt amd the plugs dont heat enough to start it easily when its cold.

#13 Zac Weidner

Zac Weidner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Flying, farming, tinkering, building

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Check the glow plug relay. With a powerstroke engine, the voltage drops at least 3 volts, and if the relay is old the terminals inside get burnt amd the plugs dont heat enough to start it easily when its cold.

Would this be the intake heater or does it have glow plugs also? The voltmeter on the dash shows a good 2V drop, but not 3 while operating.

#14 ontsandfarmer

ontsandfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:5088,mx120

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

you have a DT466 correct? if so no glow plows you have a grid intake heater that thing should start right up even at 25 degree weather still sounds like a fuel problem . you need to hook it up to a lap top check your huei pressure needs min 300 psi to start .

#15 joshont

joshont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Could be a bad o-ring on an injector causing the fuel to leak off, could also be an injector, pretty safe bet to say you'll be pulling the injectors out and o-ringing them, these were bad for injectors and o-rings

#16 Zac Weidner

Zac Weidner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Could be a bad o-ring on an injector causing the fuel to leak off, could also be an injector, pretty safe bet to say you'll be pulling the injectors out and o-ringing them, these were bad for injectors and o-rings

We have internal injectors with a common fuel rail, actuated by oil pressure. Would these O-rings still be applicable to this type of engine?

#17 joshont

joshont

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes, these o rings are applicable to this eng.

#18 Zac Weidner

Zac Weidner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Okay, I will check into the O-rings issue. Thank you for the tip!

#19 Zac Weidner

Zac Weidner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Okay, we have a whole new animal with this problem now. The other day I was spreading a full load of urea on some pretty solid, flat bean stubble ground, and the truck lost power and almost died on me about 4 or 5 times within about 30 minutes or less. It also had a very hard time getting rolling from a stop with the bed pretty full. Once it got going, it seemed to run pretty well, except for the 4 or 5 times that it would all of a sudden just lose all power and come to a stop, idling at about 400 RPM with no ability to even accelerate with the transmission in neutral. The engine light would come on very often, even after I got some of the load spread.

Once the load got a bit lighter, the light would come on, but I could get it to go out for a minute or so by very quickly letting off the throttle, then to the floor. It definitely has a major problem, and I see it being one of those ghosts that sucks down a whole lot of money trying to chase it.

The next day I spread another load, half a load at one time, except it was on some hilly, freshly disked ground and the light didn't even come on. I would guess fuel pump, but it seems too inconsistent to be a pump. Could there be a computer going bad?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Zac

#20 ontsandfarmer

ontsandfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:5088,mx120

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

pull all 6 injectors only takes one to cause your problem if she don't start then sounds like huei pump gear loose on shaft.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hard starting