Photo

Red Power Parts Quality

5 replies to this topic

#1 200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Anyone have any experience with "red power" brand parts?
I am in the process of an inframe overhaul of a DT-361 in a TD 15b farm dozer. (... lucky me.)
It seems "red power" brand are the only sleeve and piston kits available, Malhe / Clevite is discontinued.
I assume the red power brand has no connection with forum.
RedPower brand is owned by Howard Enterprises of Lynn IN.

Attached Thumbnails

• pics jan 16 2012 006 (Small).jpg
  • pics jan 16 2012 010 (Small).jpg

#2 GSR

GSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

I've had very good luck with Red Power engine kits, Sent me a PM and I can help set you up with one.

#3 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have had mixed results with Red Power kits. On that 361 I would be extremely careful of the bore condition in block for out of round and then fit of sleeve in block and again integrity of the bore after installing. Follow installation instructions closely for proper force to install and use correct installing tool for proper depth of the sleeve flange. It does not bottom in the recess when installed correctly. We had problems with genuine IH sleeves way back when also so nothing new. Took them a long time to admit problems but they finally did.

#4 200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies.

My manual shows a difference between the 361 and 407 regarding the sleeve installing tool and sleeve protrusion.
I am going to check with the case/IH dealer for the tooling.
I will give the bores a good going over my bore gage.
The engine has been previously overhauled and looks like they did a good job, however the pistons look prefect from the rings down and like crap (scrapes, gouges, chunks of piston gone) from the rings up.
The dozer apparently sat unused for a number of years and I'm guessing the engine was "stuck" until the someone decided to fire it up and sell it.
Yep, I bought it.

#5 ih650

ih650

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:MD, 650D, 2-660'S, W1206,1-660LP

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Red Power kits work in most engines. They are JUNK in the 414 engine. 3 kits in 1 engine.

#6 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

IH 650, Just out of curiosity, what seemed to be the problem. What I found was insufficient piston to cyl clearance so I didn't use them. Hy-Capacity told me they had no problems or complaints from other customers as Howard apparently also told them as they called them and then got back to me. Pete

Reply to this topic