5 replies to this topic

#1 Goose

Goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have a 5088 with about 7800hrs on it, as far as I know nothing has been done to the engine. I'm a little worried about the oil pressure, it stays below the halfway mark most of the time between the quarter and half way mark on the guage. I run straight 30 weight oil. From what I've read, a new set of bearing would be cheap insurance. I have rebuilt several gas V8 engines and used to do some racing so I feel I know the major concepts of engine building well. I have not done much work on diesels other than splitting a tractor and removing the engine to have a shop do an out of frame rebuild.

I do have experienced help, my father in law was service manager at a Deere dealer and has 40+ years experience, although mostly Deere equipment. We have a great shop and a bearing roll-in seems pretty strait forward, is there anything I'm missing? A service manual or something would be nice, where could I get that? I appreciate any help, thanks.

#2 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

https://docs.google....U2OTA4&hl=en_US

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#3 Texan4Life

Texan4Life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Could also be the gauge. I would double check with a mechanical gauge. Another thing would be try a 15w-40.

#4 Goose

Goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

We got started today, went pretty well. We got all the main bearings in except the rear, didn't see an oil hole in the crank? Got the upper bearing to move part way out, then had to leave. Any tricks to removing the rear upper main bearing?

#5 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Have been told you need new rod bolts on IH engine .
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#6 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

You will have to do some fiddling to get the rear main out. I have used a flexable bit of plastic strip to push on the one end. Make sure that all of the other main caps are loose, this often drops the crank down just a bit. Then the bearing insert should slip right out.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

Reply to this topic