13 replies to this topic

#1 brewcrew

brewcrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

They are done with drywall in our new house, and have a bunch of scraps left. I know that it is gypsum, which is good as a fertilizer, but I am wondering how I should process it? If I could somehow grind it into fines, I could broadcast it with a buggy, but how to grind it? Would it go through the feed mill? Or should I put a couple sheets at a time in the manure spreader (box spreader)? Or maybe try to borrow a slinger from someone? Any help from those who have been there before would be appreciated! Thanks!

#2 twisted856

twisted856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Collecting all kinds of old farm items. Restoring Tractors and equp. Toy collector. Keeping the family farm going!!!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

I would think a hay grinder would be the nuts for somthing like that .

#3 Bernie

Bernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Farm equipment, hunting, raising 5 daughters & sweet corn, guns

1948 Farmall MD, 1960 International B-275, 1995 F-250 Powerstroke

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Sheet rock dust will be hard on the bearings on what ever you put it through. It is so fine, it gets into places you didn't know you had places. When our house was built, we threw chunks onto the garden spot. Roto-tilled, disked, etc. In a couple of seasons it was gone. The moisture in the soil keeps the dust down.

#4 Bermuda_Ken

Bermuda_Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,310 posts
  • Interests:IH & Kenworth literature, O-scale trains.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

We have a customer who does gypsum recycling here in So. Wi. They sell the product by the processed ton.

He uses a KINGHT 716? slinger spreader as his "processor". He handles large amounts of drywall from commerical construction in Madison, WI. and Chicago, IL.

Get the RED EDGE......the IH Edge.....working for you!

Still looking for a IH 4300 Transtar Eagle Brougham Truck!! (like the one in the photo)

IH's owned past & present.......F-1206, F-806 sn# 501, CC Original # 522, CC Original(s), Spirit of 76 Cadet, 126, 1450, 1200, 1610 CADET prototype, 1250(2), 782(2), 782-Diesel(2), 982(2), 1912 & More!

See the LARGEST FREE listing of Modern IH tractor wiring diagrams on the internet (at least for now) by clicking....IH Tractor Wiring Diagrams

Visit the IH dealership I work at, Johnson Tractor (2012 Dealership of the Year) in Juda, WI......... www.johnsontractor.com

Contributing author for Red Power, Classic Farm & Tractor, Heritage Iron and Classic Tractor magazines. IH Tractor book author for Motorbooks, Voyager Press & Octane Press.......BUY A COPY & Read a book!!!
rededge.jpg

#5 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

On a much smaller scale I have ground up sheet rock with a leaf shredder. Makes it into real fine dust suitable for spreading ((garden). Bigtime dusty operation!
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#6 HPWFARM

HPWFARM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Farming,Guns,IH Tractors,Snomobiling,Big Trucks,Drinkin Beer and Talkin Smart

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

i used our slinger put a bunch of peices in the bottom and then dumped some manure on top ran it for a bit then opened the door just enough to let it out worked great plus dont get all that dust

Hank

#7 TroyDairy

TroyDairy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts
  • Interests:Faith, Family, Dairy, Red tractors and stuff

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

We've used scrap dry wall for bedding. If you toss chunks into our 8018 Knight slinger they disappear when mixed with sawdust. A local guy used to recycle lots of it with scrap wood when construction was hot and we would buy it for bedding. Great bedding b/c the lime dries out the stalls but calling it dusty dont do it justice! You looked like a KKK member when done and you HAD to wear a mask to breath. Felt bad for the cows so we backed away from it. Weird thing is it would really make you lagoon stink sulfery. A few scraps stomped up and tossed into you speader with poo would be fine though.

What, there is another color tractor besides red? Your kidding! I got a 1066, 186 (16k orig hrs), MX170, 8930+, 7140, 464 G, 684, C50, 585, 544E, 60xt, 135 McCormick, ok and a little orange scraping tractor. And we use all of them on the dairy.

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

#8 jeff70red

jeff70red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Please help me understand how drywall is a good fertilizer. I have never heard this before, and I'm just wondering if this is some kind of a prank. Truly though, please explain would love learn.

#9 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Big boy toys, hopelessly addicted to diesel and horsepower, ..and IH. duh.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

dry wall has limestone in it. BUT the lime content is so low in drywall that using it for fertilizer is almost laughable... that being said the organic neighbor has done it, just throwing the chunks in with manure spreader with a load of sh*t. rumor is he only did it "one time". :lol: :P

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. IH 1420 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

012~1.gif

#10 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

Most of your drywall now is being produced at generating plants they use gypsum and the flyash , which has hi sulfer from the coal they burn . This is part of the scubbing procces for cleaner air emmisions . That is why it smells like sulfer. If you don't have a way of grinding it , maybe you could put it on a slab of concrete and drive your trac. over it at a number of different directions that might do what you need.
JOHN E . GROTT

Reply to this topic