14 replies to this topic

#1 T Red

T Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Does anyone know how to prevent tires from dry rotting?

I don't run my road tractor enough to wear out the tires before they dry rot. I just had to replace the fronts due to this. I did find some used tires but they were still expensive. Gator had the same problem had to put tubes in. Lawn mower due soon.

#2 mmi

mmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

? use them every month
buy some lubricant from ed miller
keep them covered from sun and air ( travel trailer store)
wear them out before old age sets in

any one have the real answer?

#3 Nebraska Cowman

Nebraska Cowman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

I'm not sure what "dry rot" is? We get a lot of sunshine out here in western Nebraska and most tractors and equipment sits outside. I've got tires that have to be 50 or 60 years old that are still good.

2014-logo_halfsize_zpse221cc32.png

banner_Small_zpsc85524b6.jpg
See You in Huron SD June 26-28 2014

Nebraska Cowman

#4 Long Farms

Long Farms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

When we store grain trailers or other various pieces of equipment we dont use often, we jack them up and place blocks under the frame. This allows the wheels to be suspended in the air and keeps the weight off the tires when not in use. Takes some time to do it but its worth the time spent and by not having to spend the $$$.

1975 IH 1066
1970 IH 1456
1969 IH 856

1967 IH 1256

1967 IH 656 Hydro

1965 IH 1206
Farmall Cub

IH 303 Combine

#5 acem

acem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

I have tires that are 40+ years old that I use every day. They have alot of cracks and are hard as a rock but work fine. As long as I keep them aired up good they seem to work well. Radials seem to fall apart when they start cracking though.

The tires that I have the best luck with are the old BFGoodrich rice and cain tires. They age really well. I don't know why but they seem to go on forever. I buy them at the salvage yard & tire shop whenever I get a chance (they are cheap also).

Thx-Ace
Peace sells, Who's buying?

#6 T Red

T Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

The miller suggestion may be the best yet. He sells a protectant for tires. It's pricey though.

#7 660 driver

660 driver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts
  • Interests:Tractor pulling and workin on old binders. 660,F-20,30,14,12,W-30,460gas,1947 M,22-36,'53 Super M,IHC model "M" hit and miss,and allis chalmers c.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

keeping them out of the sun is what has worked for us.....have a 37 f-20 on original rubber and they still hold air but they are tough looking, probably wouldnt work them hard anymore.
Everybody bleeds red!

#8 cpg

cpg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:51 AM

Some sort of tire shine/protectant helps to keep the rubber moist and pliable. I personally use armor all. Also the tip about jacking it up when not in use is great. If you don't park your equipment for long periods (making it unreasonable to jack it up), park it with the tires up on boards, OSB, plywood; some kind of wood. This way the wood will absorb the moisture from the ground and keep it away from the tire rubber. Tires will just inevitably dry out over time if they aren't worn out first but all these suggestions can certainly delay the process.

#9 kyihcman

kyihcman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

General tires don't seem to dry rot,at least vintage lawn tractor sizes don't,i've noticed this for years.They must have a different compound?

#10 T Red

T Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have noticed that also. We have some old tires that are just fine. It seems the newer tires are not the same compounds as the old.

I have heard of using brake fluid. Any thoughts?

Reply to this topic