How to build a motocross track in 1000 "easy" steps

76 replies to this topic

#1 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Avid motocross rider .Pipefitter on industrial sites as well as <br />pipelines.<br />I build race car chassis for all forms of motorsports if the <br />project interests me.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

I have taken the best of 2 years to build this track and I will lay this out for you guys over the next few days.
A buddy and myself decided that we wanted our own riding area and I would be just the guy to build it.
Kinda fair seeing as he has the actual land that we are building on. I also supplied the dozer, which is what makes this relevant to this forum. Yes for all of you that have been anxiously waiting the suprise dozer will be making an appearance.
The first thing to do is a rough sketch of what you hope to accomplish(note that I said hope). ^_^
scan0001.jpg
Of course when we are finished it wont look too much like this.
The BIGGEST thing in motocross

#2 Red Wannabe

Red Wannabe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Egoman, could the surprise dozer be the TD-18 that you purchased some time back? We look forward to the pictures.

Red Wannabe

#3 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Avid motocross rider .Pipefitter on industrial sites as well as <br />pipelines.<br />I build race car chassis for all forms of motorsports if the <br />project interests me.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

If you were following you know the 18 known as bully was severely weakend by rearend problems, His future is dodgy at best.

#4 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Another problem ,or task as I prefer to call it is to get accurate measurements of what you have to deal with.
1.jpg
This was all laid out with a 100ft tape measure stakes and the help of the egonephew.

#5 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

When you are done with the outline map you hand out several copies to your riding buddies who will probably wipe their bum with the paper and provide no usefull input at all.
Man its tough to be friends with you guys!!!!!!
Of course a few of them get returned and a few ideas arent half bad, Conversely they arent half good either.
2.jpg 3.jpg

#6 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

After you get a rough idea of what you are doing some equipment will be in order, and we dont exactly have the newest of stuff. This is the first piece of "old" equipment.
7.jpg 8.jpg

#7 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

The next piece of equipment would be described as "older". This massey has a series 60 detroit in it and while occaisionally it will run out of traction it wont run out of power.
6.jpg

#8 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Next up is the "oldest" member of the fleet and probably the most used.........ladies and gentlemen I present the td9 known to the oldtimers around here as the suprise dozer.
9.jpg 10.jpg

#9 egoman

egoman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:05 AM

Of course as all of you know this stuff doesnt move without .......DIESEL FUEL. See thats where the farmer friend of mine comes in.
I may supply the dozer and the drawings and the labor and the ideas and..........well you get the idea. But the important part is that he supplied the land and the fuel for the machines.
Its not as much as you would think though, the massey of course was the thirstiest and we only used it for about 5 days. The skidsteer and the td9 just about run on fumes. To give you an idea, when you run the skidsteer full out for 6hrs. it only uses about 30 liters of fuel and the dozer use even less.

#10 KX250f

KX250f

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Now a great thread that really captured my attention!!...The only thing I would do different,would be encircle it with a 1 mile oval red clay flat track,and somehow maybe a TT course.Then I would have to spot rip while all the younger guys can ride MX.

Reply to this topic