HP requirements for a IH 50 Stalk Chopper

6 replies to this topic

#1 jacksonduper

jacksonduper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I'm looking at a IH 50 stalk chopper and I was wondering what the HP requirement is on one of these choppers. I would like to run a IH 656 on it? Does this sound o.k. It would be used to cut corn stalks but also some CRP land.

Joe

#2 Mark from WI

Mark from WI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy my family, farming, tractors and deer hunting!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm looking at a IH 50 stalk chopper and I was wondering what the HP requirement is on one of these choppers. I would like to run a IH 656 on it? Does this sound o.k. It would be used to cut corn stalks but also some CRP land.

Joe

How big is it? Crp is gonna pull alot harder then corn stalks. We bought a 9ft flailbine and used it in some crp this summer and it was too much for our 756D. Had to go get the 1256.

Bodyman by profession, Farmer at heart!

Now co-owner of TRIPLE CREEK ACRES LLC

Red in the Shed
'81 986 / '68 1256 / '69 756 custom / '79 684 w/2250 Quicktach loader / Dad's Ol '63 560 / '55 300

TRACTORS ARE LIKE WATERMELONS! THE RED IS GOOD AND YOU THROW THE GREEN AWAY!!

My personal Facebook page.Just make sure you include your Red Power "Handle" in a message so I add you.
http://www.facebook....p?id=1369300108

My farm Facebook page.......https://www.facebook...17858158?ref=hl........make sure to "like" it!

My Youtube channel: CHECK IT OUT!
http://www.youtube.c...AN?feature=mhee

#3 Blackstripe7

Blackstripe7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:All Farmalls from 39' to 85'

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

I have a model 50 stalk chopper, I pull it with a 1086 on stalks. I think that my 766 would probably power it, but as hard as the corn cobs hit the back window, I'd hate to not have a cab when running it.

#4 GaryhMN

GaryhMN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

We had a 50 many years used a 282 - 706 and latter an 886 no problems and think one time we put on a 350 to do some ends. Only thing about the 50 is changing hammers . I hate to admit it but bought a green one when we went to 6 row easier to change hammers.It will make 886 work alittle.

#5 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

I have never used a IH or mc cormick 50 is this a flail type or a hammer type and how wide is it . We have only had an old new idea 2 row hammer style , after we junked it out we got a brillion 15ft. If it's a flail type you definatly want a cab or some sort of protection behind you for your head . We could pull it in stalks with our 806d , which we had a m & w turbo and had it jacked up to about 120 hp . But in crp land depending on what you have it seeded to you are going to need something bigger . If it's flail and you go into stalks [ put something to protect you from flying corn cobs. ] Our 806 didn't have a cab and i had alot of corn cobs hit me and they do leave some serious bruises and head aches . :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
JOHN E . GROTT

#6 tony in ca.

tony in ca.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Family, Farming, Letter & hundred series tractors & equipment in particular, and, all things I.H.in general
    With a fondness for 50-60's I.H. L.P.'s
    Member: I.H.C.C.Chapter #14, Calif.& National I.H. Collectors.
    Member: Edge & TA Branch #8 & 209
    Member: Volunteer Committee World Ag Expo. Tulare, Ca.
    Member: Volunteer Committee Calif.Farm Antique Equipment Show. Tulare, Ca.(C.A.F.E.S.)

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

:unsure:

I have never used a IH or mc cormick 50 is this a flail type or a hammer type and how wide is it . We have only had an old new idea 2 row hammer style , after we junked it out we got a brillion 15ft. If it's a flail type you definatly want a cab or some sort of protection behind you for your head . We could pull it in stalks with our 806d , which we had a m & w turbo and had it jacked up to about 120 hp . But in crp land depending on what you have it seeded to you are going to need something bigger . If it's flail and you go into stalks [ put something to protect you from flying corn cobs. ] Our 806 didn't have a cab and i had alot of corn cobs hit me and they do leave some serious bruises and head aches . :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Little O/T
MEMORIES! I use to shred cotton stalks with a I.H.#27 pull behind cutter and a farmall 400. THose unopened cotton bolls in the back of the head and the dry boll bracks flicking off the ears. :( Man I knew there was a excuse for what I am today) :lol: :lol: :lol: Tony
P.S. Can you amagine one of todays safety cordenators conducting a tractor safety meeting at our farms in the 50'&60's, we would probably be in jail :unsure: :unsure:
I assume you guys have to do tractor safety meetings with employees as we do here? :angry:

#7 GaryhMN

GaryhMN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

If the rubber doors or flaps are in place it is not too big a problem but still happens . Cobs will not usually break the window but a small stone will . My mother was chopping with the 886 and she said all of a sudden it got noisey. The flaps or medal doors NEED to be kept in place.

Reply to this topic