Self propelled haybines

17 replies to this topic

#11 WHwny

WHwny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Interests:Tractors: H,M,SMta,SMDta,660,656hydro,966,986,1086,1486,30884wd Ford6610,Deere 6115d,CaseIHwdx1902mower and 5240 maxxum
    Milking 65 cows in NY

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:00 PM

Or as some call them windrowers, swathers......

I have been looking for a New Holland for a few years now. I found a local one a 1496 12' thats all I know about it. Is anybody familiar with this machine or can give me any advice on a self propelled haybine.
This thing is a little bigger than I want but finding an older 7' is next to impossible (that runs)
Price is $4000 If good shape I don't think it is bad. Compaired to a pull type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I run two self propelled haybines Our first one is a NH 1495 12' we bought at an auction in the late 80's with low hours and the second one we bought 3 years ago is a Hesston 8200. If they were cared for and stored inside they can be a trouble free machines other then normal wear parts. Our main reason for buying them was price we have less money in both than one new 12' discbine would have cost today No one wants a used SP around here.I really dont' know how anyone can pay 40 to 50 grand for a machine and run it 500 to 1000 hours and make out. We paid 11500 for the Hesston with 1000 hours on it the only thing it needed was a new sciklebar and gaurds. You can't even buy a new 9' pull type for that. When I bought the Hesston the NH1495 need new rolls and the reel rebuilt the dealer didn't want it. So I keep it and the next winter rebuilt the head I had less then 2 grand in the rebuild. and now have two good machines. With both in the field at the same time cutting you can really knock some hay down quick. We have never had any trouble with the motors or hydros. They are like anything else if you change your oils and filter you will get years of trouble free use.
Wayne
100_1020.JPG 100_0921.JPG
Tractors:H.M,SMTA,SMTA diesel,656Hydro,660,686,966,986,1086,1486,30884wd,Ford 6610 4wd and Sp CaseIH
discbine WDX1902 Milking 65 cows in NY
http://s102.photobuc...hwny/?start=all

#12 f 20

f 20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:4366 706 560D 460D smta sm m 350u B F20 2mh 234 pickers 1700 loadstar plows disc 510 drill and more

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:29 PM

Run away from self propelled if you are only doing a small amount of hay. I thought this was the way to go years ago and so I talked myself into an International 4000 with the crimping rollers for doing hay and what a mistake. It had a 10 ft head on it. The power train was very good but I slipped the hydrostat belt and was down for two days waiting for a belt so I had to borrow the neighbours haybine, if you have a problem with a tractor all you need to do is switch tractors. Also, a 12' cut versus a 9' cut will play havoc on you if you do not have large capacity baler, rake etc. An extra 3' of hay in the windrow will come back to haunt you trying to get it dry with standard haying equipment, especially when baling. Take it for what it's worth but I traded my 4000 back in for a 488 New Holland and 6 years later I'm still cutting hay with the NH and like pulling it with the 756. On another note the cutterbar I believe is a center drive similar to the 499 that MOChad uses and I know that they are a bugger for parts. My .02.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have a 1469 nh self propelled haybine. handiest little sob. good rolls runs well and gave 1800 dollars for it.
You are correct. That is the same head that a 499 haybine uses. I'd probably tend to stay away from it, I'm getting pretty tired of fixing on ours all the time. Also getting tired of all the special parts that nobody has and NH won't stock.

Neighbors have a 1499? NH selfpropelled, and it seem like it is down more than not sometimes. It's got a hydrostat pump out of it as we speak. About 3k. Already put in both the motors for about the same money. It really cuts when it's cutting, but when it ain't the dollars sure go the other way fast. If I wasn't doing many acres a good used 411 would be my choice.

Chads

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

4366 706d 706g 560d 460d smta sm m 350u f20 b 234 and 2mh pickers fast hich plows 56 planter 1700 loadstar and more. est.1873. hoosier homesead. t 20 td9

#13 Ernest

Ernest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. As always I am undecided as of now. What will probably happen is I will probably get a pull type haybine. Last fall I passed on an excellent 7' IH 990 for $1200 The guy who bought it wanted to sell me his OLD worn out 9' one for $800. Na!
Then last summer their was an add in the paper FREE hesston (PT10?) looked at it all their and very good shape (kids inherited the farm and got rid of stuff) I was #3 on the list of takers. I told them I would give them $200 and haul it away now. "sorry we promised it to an old man so he could use his old one for parts" Could not bargain with him. Oh well!

#14 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:05 AM

Then last summer their was an add in the paper FREE hesston (PT10?)

Count your blessing that you didn't get it..................My grandfather has one and when he got it, it was like new..........They've worked on the stupid thing more than it was in the field. Then when they need parts, they get the dreaded NLA from the Hesston dealer, THEN the salvage yard by me tells them, "Yeah we got 7 or so of them, but all of them already had that part taken off"............So, grandson ends up making what they need :(

To top it off, Our 489 NH would have out cut it WHEN they did get it to the field. And we mowed more hay in two cuttings than they did all season all the only down time we had was when I broke a sickle tooth, AND I didn't have to MACHINE any parts for ours ;) :D

#15 ChrisNY

ChrisNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:54 AM

Then last summer their was an add in the paper FREE hesston (PT10?)

Count your blessing that you didn't get it..................My grandfather has one and when he got it, it was like new..........They've worked on the stupid thing more than it was in the field. Then when they need parts, they get the dreaded NLA from the Hesston dealer, THEN the salvage yard by me tells them, "Yeah we got 7 or so of them, but all of them already had that part taken off"............So, grandson ends up making what they need :(

To top it off, Our 489 NH would have out cut it WHEN they did get it to the field. And we mowed more hay in two cuttings than they did all season all the only down time we had was when I broke a sickle tooth, AND I didn't have to MACHINE any parts for ours ;) :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Got to agree with you TP, the PT10 was the biggest piece of junk Hesston ever built. Neighbors had one and they would have to fix it about every third round in the field. They Finally got rid of it and bought a IH.
1966 1206 S/N# 8926
1970 1456 S/N# 13146
1977 4386 S/N#1053
1961 460U S/N#10646
1984 IH 1460 Combine
Cub Cadet 129

#16 Ernest

Ernest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:59 AM

Really! I am shocked. I was told by a dealer ( :blink: ) :lol: that all of hesstons were good. But that's what happens when you listen to a dealer!

#17 DT361

DT361

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have a PT10 that I got for $100. Needed gaurds and teeth. I have yet to figure out how to get it set up correctly. Clogs quite easily. I haven't had any problems with it (YET [knocking on wood right now!]). Sure is a noisy mother fletcher....have to wear ear-plugs.

Only thing I've heard about SP's is don't get a belt drive (Owatana). Gerneral rule of thumb: if it's got t!ts or tires, it's going to be trouble. (Sorry Juliet...you can substitute "testicles" and it would still be true)

Mark
450 gasser #37895; 1206 #7930

#18 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

Got to agree with you TP, the PT10 was the biggest piece of junk Hesston ever built. Neighbors had one and they would have to fix it about every third round in the field. They Finally got rid of it and bought a IH.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know guys though that have had great luck with the PT-7's, My grandfather is the only one I know of with a 10, either way, I get plenty of machine work from it. Most of the stuff I have to make him you think you could still get from the dealer, but he seems they give him the NLA look before he's even in the door at two Hesston dealers he deals with.

Reply to this topic