3 replies to this topic

#1 234-IA

234-IA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:53 PM

saw a '75 1000 cub cadet w/less than 600 hrs advertised. are these good tractors? how is part availability? what engine would it have? any particular things to look at aside from general wear?

thanks in advance

#2 briguy

briguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

A model 1000 would have a 10hp K241 Kohler engine. It has a 3spd forward 1 reverse gear drive rear end. This is what is know as a "quietline" tractor, meaning it was the first model with side panels. The main problem on this model would be worn out rubber engine mounts (ISO mounts). The steering can get a little worn, but that's common to all the old cadets. Both are easy fixes. Parts availability for the wear items is still good (but getting more pricey everyday). NLA parts are readily available on Ebay. This tractor would run a 38 to 44 inch deck. If it's got a good running engine (non-smoker), no options (rear lift, creeper drive, lights on that model) and a decent deck, then I'd say it's a 300 to 500 dollar machine depending on overall condition.

http://www.xtrememot...det_History.htm
When you've said Wisconsin, you've said it all!

'63 Cub Cadet Original, '64 100,'65 70, '66 71, '70 127, '75 1650

#3 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:55 AM

Another weak spot on the Quietline gear drives is the driving disc on the engine clutch, because the engine moves around on the rubber mounts the disc has to flex and they will eventually crack and require replacement. All the earlier GD clutch drivers were made from thcker steel and didn't flex/crack.

The PTO was an elec clutch, similar in operation to a car's AC compressor clutch. They seem to be durable enough, but they turn on with a switch, so they're ON or OFF, you can't feather them into engagement.

They had a small bendix style starter, and the generator, actually was an alternator incorporated into the flywheel, they're more of a hassle to work on than the older style starter/generator which hung out in the open. But I don;t think they required as much repair as the S/G's did.

They're a solid tractor, other than the rubber engine mounts. Parts are readily available, but as Briguy says, they keep getting more expensive all the time.

#4 briguy

briguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Another weak spot on the Quietline gear drives is the driving disc on the engine clutch, because the engine moves around on the rubber mounts the disc has to flex and they will eventually crack and require replacement. All the earlier GD clutch drivers were made from thcker steel and didn't flex/crack.

The PTO was an elec clutch, similar in operation to a car's AC compressor clutch. They seem to be durable enough, but they turn on with a switch, so they're ON or OFF, you can't feather them into engagement.

They had a small bendix style starter, and the generator, actually was an alternator incorporated into the flywheel, they're more of a hassle to work on than the older style starter/generator which hung out in the open. But I don;t think they required as much repair as the S/G's did.

They're a solid tractor, other than the rubber engine mounts. Parts are readily available, but as Briguy says, they keep getting more expensive all the time.

The nice thing about the 10hp in those is that they just don't shake that much (unlike my 1650 which is a vibrating s.o.b.). If the ISO mounts are shot I would consider just getting a set of solid mounts that the puller like to use. Like Dr. Evil said, if the rubber mounts go bad it can cause clutch problems, the solid mounts would help with that. I almost like the bendix starters, they crank the engine over faster and seem to start a little easier than the generator setup.
When you've said Wisconsin, you've said it all!

'63 Cub Cadet Original, '64 100,'65 70, '66 71, '70 127, '75 1650

Reply to this topic