B275 temperature sensor

9 replies to this topic

#1 nickob

nickob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:58 AM

I've just bought a new temperature gauge for my B275 (there wasn't one on the tractor before) which comes complete with the sensor. I discovered that the sensor will not fit into the screw hole in the cooling system behind the fan! The sensor itself is too long, and the thread is wider than that of the blank screw that came out of the system. Has anybody had a similar problem? Is there another location for the sensor?

The gauge was specifically for a B275, supposedly.....

Thanks,
Nick

#2 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

Don't see a factory temp guage for B-275 in our parts book ?

I see one for B-414 but notice the part number on cylinder heads on B-414 and B-275 are different. Part number on B-414D temp guage, 704538R92,comes with adapter 707355R1. Any chance the sensor will screw into head without the adapter ?

Maybe local hardware store would have adapters to make it fit ?

Good luck, Bill

I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I live in Springfield, OH near the International truck plant.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#3 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

I've just bought a new temperature gauge for my B275 (there wasn't one on the tractor before) which comes complete with the sensor.

Thanks,
Nick

Gasoline or diesel engined B-275?

#4 New Englander

New Englander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

If it's a mechanical gauge you are kinda stuck as all the one I've seen have an adapter that is pipe thread (1/2" I think) that takes the capillary tube nut. Electric gauges, however, are available with 1/4" or 1/8" pipe thread senders, just be sure you get the right resistance type to go with the gauge you buy. Stewart Warner are a nominal 230-33 ohms and they and clones are the most common aftermarket type.

Ebay has plenty and they often will come as a kit with the sensor in 1/8" or 1/4" with bushings for 3/8" and 1/2" holes.

If your engine doesn't have any place to install a sensor (rare), you can drill and tap the water jacket for a sensor just prior to the thermostat. I doubt you will need to do that. I had a 3414 with a BC 144 and it had a place to install a conventional mechanical gauge. I did drill and tap the engine in an old Michigan loader many years ago. I don't remember the engine. Someone had used the existing port to install a cab heater and simply left out the temp sender.

#5 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Interests:I sell new Case/IH Tractors and Equipment ....one part at a time and now only part-time!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

I've just bought a new temperature gauge for my B275 (there wasn't one on the tractor before) which comes complete with the sensor.

Thanks,
Nick

Gasoline or diesel engined B-275?

Hello Michael, We only show Diesel B-275 for US market. Did they offer gas in other markets ? B-414 which came later was available as gas or diesel.

I remember when we got the first B-275 at the Troy, OHIO Dealership. Dad's good friend and co-worker at the Dealership who also farmed bought it. One tough little tractor and probably still in use somewhere in area. A true Ford 8N competitor. All Doncaster products were great over the years. Sad that plant is gone. Anyone know if that plant is still in use producing any thing or did it end up a parking lot or vacant lot?

Bill
I sell Case/IH, IH, and Farmall Tractors and Equipment...one part at a time, and now only work part-time.
I work part-time in Urbana, OH in the parts dept at Farmers Equipment Inc., the Case/IH Dealer.
Farmers Equipment now with four Ohio locations: Urbana, OH 937-652-2233; New Hampshire, OH 419-568-7750; Elida, OH 419-339-7000; and a Parts Only store in London, OH 740-490-7416.

#6 George 2

George 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Bill: In 1961 a gasoline version became available in Canada and remained available for the rest of B275 production. The B414 gasoline was introduced in Canada at the beginning of 1963. My parents bought a B414 gasoline with power steering in November 1963. I still have it and run it to mow weeds with it along the laneways of the farm.

#7 BillOHIO

BillOHIO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

Bill: In 1961 a gasoline version became available in Canada and remained available for the rest of B275 production. The B414 gasoline was introduced in Canada at the beginning of 1963. My parents bought a B414 gasoline with power steering in November 1963. I still have it and run it to mow weeds with it along the laneways of the farm.

George, Thanks for info. In Ohio a gas B-275 would have been nice. The folks interested in that size tractor would have been more receptive to a gas model in that era. The B-414 gas did sell well.

I was lamenting the loss of this type tractor. I guess I could by a Mahindra out of India as their tractors are based on this.I understand the tooling for these tractors were sent from Doncaster to India in some sort of joint license agreement ?

Bill

#8 Michael Halsall

Michael Halsall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Interests:Engines from TITANs to TURBO diesels.

McCormick-Deering & McCormick standard tread tractors.

Classic Crawlers

IH Corporate History

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

I remember when we got the first B-275 at the Troy, OHIO Dealership. Dad's good friend and co-worker at the Dealership who also farmed bought it. One tough little tractor and probably still in use somewhere in area. A true Ford 8N competitor. All Doncaster products were great over the years. Sad that plant is gone. Anyone know if that plant is still in use producing any thing or did it end up a parking lot or vacant lot?

Bill
[/quote]

The B-275 and the earlier B-250 were actually built at the smaller Bradford factory which was sold by IH in the late 1960's.

Doncaster still exists as the British factory for the Landini owned "McCormick" brand tractors.

Doncaster is currently not producing complete tractors, they are now made in the Landini factories in Europe.

The latest I've heard is Doncaster is a spare parts and distribution site as well as doing "final assembly" (customer requested modifications) of "McCormick" tractors in Britain.

Regards from Michael H.

P.S. Australia only received the diesel version of the B-275 but I believe the petrol version may have been sold in New Zealand.

In our part of the world the B-275 was seen as a rival of the MF 35 diesel and the Ford Dexta diesel

#9 W400

W400

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:all things IH

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

The temp gauage sender screws into a plug hole in the cylinder head on the same side as fuel filter under the air intake manifold between No2 and 3 injectors plug should unscrew and have no need for adapter.
hope this helps Eric
1924 1020,1928 1530 needs lots of parts and tlc1929 Regular,1936 TD40,1938 W30,1940s,DC,1944 H,1945 M,1953 SWD6,1956 W400D,1957 B250,1958 B250industrial,1960 B275,1963 B414,1967 523 agrimatic neuss built,1970 106 cub cadet,1976 475,1983 885L,1994 856XL FWD, 2010 cub cadet " IH trailed plows. IH B64 Trailed combine allas chalmers roto baler

#10 New Englander

New Englander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

The temp gauage sender screws into a plug hole in the cylinder head on the same side as fuel filter under the air intake manifold between No2 and 3 injectors plug should unscrew and have no need for adapter.
hope this helps Eric

You've refreshed my memory. Although I sold my 3414 with a BC144, I do recall that's about where it is on the gas engine - pretty close to the carburetor.

Reply to this topic