• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:04 PM

DCP_3895.JPG

DCP_3898.JPG

Here is my Sunday afternoon ‘recreational labor’ project…..Gimme a break, it is RED! :)

Some time ago I bought this Mall model 12a chainsaw at fundraiser auction for a tractor club. No one else thought it was worth anything because I had the only bid, so I took it home un-challenged. The term “Fundraiser auction” could be synonymous with ‘junk auction’ depending on what you came to buy but I defiantly got my money's worth.

This thing is a brute; it has a 24” bar and weighs 35 lbs. The 2-cycle engine has a ‘knarly’ sound to it, I can think of no other way to describe it! It took a little tinkering to get it to run, just the usual stuff: clean the breaker points, carburetor and a fresh spark plug.

The bar and chain were another story. They were rusted together. The chain had to be soaked in penetrating oil (Gibbs) and then worked loose with pliers, one link at a time to loosen the joints. The rust on the bar I took care of with the cup brush on the hand grinder.

After mixing up another fresh batch of 16:1 oil mix fuel, a little more tinkering to get the float in the carburetor to work and a whole lot of Gibbs on the rusty chain, the saw was ready to try. It started on the 3rd pull and ran just like it was 50 years ago. I made a celebratory cut through a small cottonwood branch that was laying around from the last tree trimming session.

This saw probably hasn’t cut wood for DECADES but I had a blast this afternoon! :P

Have you ever seen one of these saws? The engine is mounted ‘axial’ and there are a set of bevel gears that turn the power 90 degrees to operate the chain sprocket. The engine also rotates on its mounting axis so the bar can cut at any angle while the engine stays level. This is necessary because of the float type carburator. – see pics. Other than pictures, this is the only saw I’ve seen built like this.

Information about the Mall Tool Company is scarce but I did find out that Remington (saws) bought them out.

Mall model 12a
24” BAR
16:1 oil mix

It sure is easy amuse me! B) :P :D :o
<washes hands>

dave
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#2 plowmaster

plowmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:23 PM

have you checked in at arboristsite? theres another great source for chainsaw information out there ill see if i can dig it up.

pretty cool saw ya got there, they do sound wicked i seen one run at woodsmen feild days in tupper lake. looks like your having fun! cool!

#3 kfox

kfox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:2 1941 H Farmalls-In various stages of repair.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:25 PM

I grew up on the operating end of one of those Mall saws just like the one in your photo. AAARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!just remembering it........ Very heavy.
Does your saw have a clamp on the gearbox that you squeeze to rotate the bar? You needed to rotate the bar to cut at different angles because, as you said, it had a carburator and the engine had to remain level to run.
ken

#4 bindernut

bindernut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,342 posts
  • Interests:old tractors, wood working, and causing trouble.... and not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hey redgreen, if you lived near me, I'd take the chain up to work & put a real good edge on it for ya.

Mark
Down the hole is down the hole. I might as well have some fun along the way!

We're getting the band back together!

The only easy day was yesterday.

I may not agree with everything you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

#5 Old-F20

Old-F20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Interests:Professional BUM, Part time Slacker, antique tractor and car restorer

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:16 PM

hey, is that thing OSHA approved :blink: :D
"It takes less time to do something right than it does to explain why you did it wrong" Grandmas advice

GENIUS BY BIRTH, SLACKER BY CHOICE

#6 redgreen

redgreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts
  • Interests:Are you kidding?
    Tractors - what else!

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:23 PM

Guys,
Thanks for the replys! :D

Plowmaster;

Yes, I made my way to the Arborsite and left a post about two months ago. Not much activity on the subject since. I did look at one of the member sites, Mile Acres has a lot of saw information on various makes, etcetera, including the Mall saws.
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ken;

It's good to hear from you about your experience in using this saw model. I was kinda getting worried that there was nobody left alive that had used one! It is certainly heavy, and would be a 'man killer' to have to use all of the time! B) Yes, it has the clamp that you describe so the power unit rotates relative to the cutting bar....a very strange design!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark;

Thanks, that is a tempting offer - a sharp chain does wonders for a saw! I'll see what I can learn about the chain pitch and size, etc.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OldF20;

OSHA?
Isn't that a town over in Wisconsin? :o

dave
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33 NIV

In the shed: '42 "H", '45 "H", '49 "M" & some GREEN stuff too. Oh, get over it.....they're all old and still run!

Posted Image

#7 plowmaster

plowmaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:50 AM

thats the site i was talking about, glad you found it.

theres alot of old saw owners over at the forestry forum.

good luck!

#8 The Dukester

The Dukester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Interests: The old tractors in my brother's and my collection currently include a '49 Farmall M, '51 Farmall H, '48 John Deere A, '48 John Deere GW, '51 John Deere G, and a '47 MM UTU. We show 'em a lot and pull 'em a little

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

We used to saw logs for milling and wood with a McCullogh 5-49 and 7-55. They were both 2 man saws and real "mankillers". They came about in the same era as the Mall saws. I still remember crosscuts, them babies could work the daylights out of you too

#9 Old-F20

Old-F20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts
  • Interests:Professional BUM, Part time Slacker, antique tractor and car restorer

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:29 AM

OldF20;

OSHA?
Isn't that a town over in Wisconsin?  :o

dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, thats a good one :D
"It takes less time to do something right than it does to explain why you did it wrong" Grandmas advice

GENIUS BY BIRTH, SLACKER BY CHOICE

#10 WOEII44H

WOEII44H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

B)
Posted Image

Reply to this topic