466E horse power increase

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

I have a 4700 with 64,000 miles and a 190hp DT466E. I have talked to dealers all across the northwest and cannot find one that will reprogram it without engine work. (turbo, injectors, and other work) I have talked to mechanics that say that they use to do the reprogramming but then corporate said no more. They said that they could take them to 250 without any mechanical changes.

I will be towing under 12,000 pounds.

Is there anyone out there can do this besides the dealers?

Thanks

#2 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

I would try Googling "Power chip for 466" see if anything comes up.//

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#3 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

I would try Googling "Power chip for 466" see if anything comes up.//

I have looked at what is out there and the reviews do not instill a lot of confidence in the cost vs benefit. I thought that I was onto a shop in Vancouver BC but they backed out also.

I will continue to check online for chips and sites.

Thank You
Scott

#4 AMCJavelin74

AMCJavelin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Link1
link2

Looks like if you want much you're going to have to $$$$. Or, sneak in the IH dealer back door/catch a mechanic on a smoke break and see if he'll reporgram it on the side- side work is liberated from the corporate "you can't do this" stuff. :D

#5 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Link1
link2

Looks like if you want much you're going to have to $$$$. Or, sneak in the IH dealer back door/catch a mechanic on a smoke break and see if he'll reporgram it on the side- side work is liberated from the corporate "you can't do this" stuff. :D

I have looked at both web sites and they were not too encouraging. It looks like I have two real options, (1) buy a used engine and build it up to 300 (2) go a cheaper route and try propane injection. Has anyone out there tried this with a 466E and if so how did it work?

Thanks
Scott

#6 Merton

Merton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Tractors - Stationary Engines - Cub Cadets - Trucks

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

What year is your 4700? Most of the DT466E's have programing and the programing upgrades reqiure changing the Turbo and other hardware in addition to purchasing the programing. Navistar wants you to order the truck with the right horsepower instead of increasing the HP later. Merton
Tractors- IH 140 Famall Cub IH 1000 loader Cub Cadets Originals one with Danco Creeper , 70 , 100's , 124, 106, #1 Garden cart, #2 Garden Carts , Johson #10 loader on CC 100 , Cub Cadet Rear Blade, Haban Sickle mower, Gard-n-cart, Danco RD-300 Loaders for the Cub Cadets - IH UD14 Power Unit - International Diamond Club Men's Award Ring - International & Farmall Pedal Tractors -Engines - IHC Mogul 1 3/4 HP Engine - IHC Famous 1 HP Engine -IHC Tom Thumb 1 HP Engine - IHC Mogul 1 HP Engine - IHC Titan Jr Engine

#7 AMCJavelin74

AMCJavelin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

Propane injection would be interesting... buying a used turbo and such would save you a lot of $$$ over new if the propane injection doesn't meet your needs. If the turbo you have at present is max'd out in terms of airflow- exhaust and intake modifications will do little if any good. Think of the engine- or whole truck- as a system. It's only as good as its weakest link. Also, this goes with the turbo statement- if your injectors are max'd out in stock tune, they can't flow more with a tune (unless the injectors are open for a longer time). Propane injection is a way around the injector issue, but I think it's best to be an occasional thing, as I think it'd get expensive with propane fill ups.

Being that with any upgrades everything I hear is "bigger turbo and injectors" seems is how IH/Navi offered higher output 466Es. After having the engine able to breathe and fuel better, I'm pretty sure an aftermarket tune would be more effective.

I would, just to be safe, get a EGT gauge and keep temps under 1200*F for longevity.

#8 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

What year is your 4700? Most of the DT466E's have programing and the programing upgrades reqiure changing the Turbo and other hardware in addition to purchasing the programing. Navistar wants you to order the truck with the right horsepower instead of increasing the HP later. Merton

The truck is an early 1998 but the engine is stamped 97 and it has 64,000 mile on it. I bought it used and knew I would have to spend some time and money to get the horsepower up.

Thanks

#9 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Propane injection would be interesting... buying a used turbo and such would save you a lot of $$$ over new if the propane injection doesn't meet your needs. If the turbo you have at present is max'd out in terms of airflow- exhaust and intake modifications will do little if any good. Think of the engine- or whole truck- as a system. It's only as good as its weakest link. Also, this goes with the turbo statement- if your injectors are max'd out in stock tune, they can't flow more with a tune (unless the injectors are open for a longer time). Propane injection is a way around the injector issue, but I think it's best to be an occasional thing, as I think it'd get expensive with propane fill ups.

Being that with any upgrades everything I hear is "bigger turbo and injectors" seems is how IH/Navi offered higher output 466Es. After having the engine able to breathe and fuel better, I'm pretty sure an aftermarket tune would be more effective.

I would, just to be safe, get a EGT gauge and keep temps under 1200*F for longevity.

Here is a link to the site that makes a propane injection kit for the 466. http://www.dieselper....com/index.html

I talked with them today and Keith said that they do a lot of business with 466 owners. Their claims for increased efficiency make sense and reading about the propane consumption on big trucks and buses seems encouraging. I am goiong to do some more research on injection and make a decision shortly.

I will also be including an EGT gauge at the same time.

Thanks
Scott

#10 AMCJavelin74

AMCJavelin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

Sounds good Scott. Keep us posted on how it all works out. :lol:

Reply to this topic