#1 Sean in NE

Sean in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Farming, and working on IH tractors

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

Got a Hydro 100 and was wondering where to start on finding what needs fixing; slips under load. I did notice that going to reverse in low the hydro lever goes half way down the quadrant before it starts backing up. Seems that when I move the lever forward it does have a burst of acceleration halfway up and for sure in the blue and after. Could it be that the lever o-rings may need replacing? Don't really want to take it to our dealer for repair. They don't like working on old tractors and only one older mechanic that knows the hydros still. Any ideas where to start? Thanks!
My YouTube channel: http://m.youtube.com...8?feature=guide
Tractors of the farm:
1997 Case-IH 8940 FWA, 223hp
1996 Case-IH 7250 FWA, 250hp
1979 International 3588, 2+2 "Anteater" 150hp
1978 International 1086 2wd, 144hp
Trucks of the farm:
2007 International 9400, ISX 475hp, 13spd
1998 International 9300, 3406E 455hp, 18spd
1975 International 200, 4x4, 345 automatic
1974 International 1700, 392IC, 5spd

#2 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

Here is a copy of a service manual, My link . I would first check the filters and make sure fluid up to level, its checked warm at 1700 rpm . If you have some gauges (600psi and 10,000 psi), you can check the drive, charge and servo pressures. Capping the high pressure relief lines and test for slippage will rule out the foot inch/ drive control valves. Make sure the foot inch pedal doesn't touch the platform in the up position. Look for loose or leaking foot inch/ drive control lines and see if it slips in both forward and reverse. The manual should hopefully help. Others like Pete and Owen know much more than I do, hope this helps.
Tom

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#3 Owen Aaland

Owen Aaland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='Sean in NE' timestamp='1307854868' post='606512']
Slipping under load is the biggest concern. Does it do it equally in both forward and reverse? Does it get worse when it is hot? If the problem is about equal in both forward and reverse and not much temperature change the problem may be either in the Foot-N-Inch valve (clutch) not working correctly or not properly adjusted or a cracked high pressure line on one of the relief valves in the center section of the hydro. If the problem is worse going forward and gets worse as the oil gets to operating temperature you may have scored plates in the hydro pump and/or motor.

As far as too much movement before starting in reverse, hold the lever all the way to the side as you move it. If it is better when doing that the problem is worn linkage by the shift lever. Also check for any excess play between the lever and the rod going into the hydro unit. If everything on the outside is OK you have a problem with the pump servo control inside the hydro housing.

The speed should increase dramatically when moving the lever into the blue area. Below the blue area you are changing the angle of the pump swash plate to control the speed. At the blue area the pump should be at maximum angle for maximum flow. As you move the lever forward from there the swash plate on the motor starts to decrease its angle resulting an increase in RPMs with the same oil flow from the pump.

Other than checking for worn linkage there is not too much you can do without a couple of 1/4" flare hydraulic line caps. They should be steel since you may be building pressures above 5000 PSI. With those you can cap the two control lines coming from the hydro to determine in the problems are internal or external.

#4 Sean in NE

Sean in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:38 AM

Slipping under load is the biggest concern. Does it do it equally in both forward and reverse? Does it get worse when it is hot? If the problem is about equal in both forward and reverse and not much temperature change the problem may be either in the Foot-N-Inch valve (clutch) not working correctly or not properly adjusted or a cracked high pressure line on one of the relief valves in the center section of the hydro. If the problem is worse going forward and gets worse as the oil gets to operating temperature you may have scored plates in the hydro pump and/or motor.

As far as too much movement before starting in reverse, hold the lever all the way to the side as you move it. If it is better when doing that the problem is worn linkage by the shift lever. Also check for any excess play between the lever and the rod going into the hydro unit. If everything on the outside is OK you have a problem with the pump servo control inside the hydro housing.

The speed should increase dramatically when moving the lever into the blue area. Below the blue area you are changing the angle of the pump swash plate to control the speed. At the blue area the pump should be at maximum angle for maximum flow. As you move the lever forward from there the swash plate on the motor starts to decrease its angle resulting an increase in RPMs with the same oil flow from the pump.

Other than checking for worn linkage there is not too much you can do without a couple of 1/4" flare hydraulic line caps. They should be steel since you may be building pressures above 5000 PSI. With those you can cap the two control lines coming from the hydro to determine in the problems are internal or external.

Owen, seems like I can notice slippage more when going forward and yes is gets worse slip as it gets warmer oil. But I didn't happen to check slippage in reverse yet so I will check that out in the morning. I sure could believe that the linkage could be worn some in the lever. I'll do some checks on forward and reverse slippage and get back to you.
Tractors of the farm:
Trucks of the farm:

#5 Sean in NE

Sean in NE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Ok got it now. Slippage seems to be equal in forward and reverse. And does seem to get worse as it gets hot. Seems like if I push the speed lever too far when its climbing a little hill or something it will let out a terrible whine then I'll back the lever off til it stops the whining. One thing I noticed too seems like when I move the speed lever to forward position sometimes the tractor feels like it wants to jerk and lunge and it'll do it more after the half way point. I just have this feeling that the hydro unit will need a rebuild. If so I will have someone else do the rebuild lol.

Foot n inch pedal does not touch the deck in the up position. Think it about an 1/8" from the deck.

Different times when either coming from forward or reverse back into neutral I noticed that the tractor wanted to freewheel alittle then finally it catches and the hydro holds the tractor still in neutral. Any thoughts to what causes that?
Tractors of the farm:
Trucks of the farm:

Reply to this topic