DT466E Power increase

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

I have a 1998 International 47 with the 466E engine. I have read and heard that these can have the programing updated by international to increase the HP. I have also read that some shops will not do it while others will. Our local dealer here in Tacoma Washington says that I would have to change pistons, turbo, injectors and other internals to increase the power. (if I want more power just buy a new engine from the dealer) This seems to run contrary to what I have been reading. The truck and engine have 64,000 miles on it so I am not concerned about turning up a worn out engine and I would be happy at 250hp.

Does anyone here have any experience with boosting the 466E in a truck application?

#2 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

I have tinkered with Power modules on some of the Pickup trucks and a few farm tractors.. I am a EDGE chip dealer, they do not have anything for Navistar.. I found this with a quick search. chips must be available from other sources
http://www.gopowerhu.../_phoenix.shtml

If you chip the enging I reccomend at least installing a pyrometer.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#3 cougar766

cougar766

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Interests:Farmall, Massey Harris/ Ferguson, My wife and kids then farming
    My 1972 766D, daughter's 1960 460G, son's 1956 400G,

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

when I worked at the IH truck dealership here in Indy they did program upgrades then all of a sudden the company said not to do it anymore. they'd take 195hp T44E's up to 210hp and the 466E's up too 250hp with no problems as at the time the only difference was the program.

#4 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

I have tinkered with Power modules on some of the Pickup trucks and a few farm tractors.. I am a EDGE chip dealer, they do not have anything for Navistar.. I found this with a quick search. chips must be available from other sources

#5 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have a friend here that owns a large radiator shop and we have already been talking about how to increase cooling for the engine and you are right a pyrometer is a must.

Thanks

#6 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

when I worked at the IH truck dealership here in Indy they did program upgrades then all of a sudden the company said not to do it anymore. they'd take 195hp T44E's up to 210hp and the 466E's up too 250hp with no problems as at the time the only difference was the program.

I did find a mobile mechanic for international that said it was not a problem he has done several. But when he asked international for the programing they said no. He had no explanation other then IH wants to sell a new engines.

Thanks

#7 Bisland

Bisland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

I have been to all of the dealers within 500 miles of my home here in Washington and all are saying that it cannot be done without major engine work. I am at a complete loss here as to how I am to get the programming updated.

#8 millertime

millertime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

You can look for a similar truck with a 250hp engine from factory and borrow the vin and esn to get the high hp program. I think it's a emissions thing.

Reply to this topic