14 replies to this topic

#1 1949H

1949H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

I bought this overdrive over a year ago. I guess I fell into the right place at the right time. The guy that had it was in need of some money and sold it to me very cheap considering its condition. He had been through 10 or more overdrives, replacing all seals and bearings as needed. He never opened this one up because of how tight the gears and bearings felt. I replaced all the seals and was amazed that everything was in practically "new" condition.
With information from the man i bought this from and from my own research I determined these would have been a bright silver when new. This was just a random silver we had in the cabinet at the body shop. I bought stainless bolts then polished the heads myself to give it a little more detail.
Now if I could only get in "gear" and get the tractor done!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5040 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_5043 (Large).JPG

#2 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hi there 49 h John Grott here what are you going to put the overdrive in a f- model farmall. Back when i was a kid , my dad picked up a f-30 farmall from the nieghbor motor was siezed . Dad pick up a 4cyl. continental diesel some where . He pulled the old motor out of the f-30 and got some heavy walled i believe it was 3 x 6 in. box tubing and remade a new fraim . HE had to drop the motor 6 in. to get the crank and transm. to line up . iIt took about a steddy week of enginering things but she fired up and we were able to pull 4 - 16s with it . It also had one of those overdrives in it , we would get the tractor rolling in 4th gear and when it got to wide open rolling you put the tractor trans. in neutral and shiffted the od . into gear and reengaged the clutch and hang on . :lol: :lol: Boy that thing would fly , don't now the mph . but i wouldn't be scared to say around 40 mph . :lol: :lol:
JOHN E . GROTT

#3 1949H

1949H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi there 49 h John Grott here what are you going to put the overdrive in a f- model farmall. Back when i was a kid , my dad picked up a f-30 farmall from the nieghbor motor was siezed . Dad pick up a 4cyl. continental diesel some where . He pulled the old motor out of the f-30 and got some heavy walled i believe it was 3 x 6 in. box tubing and remade a new fraim . HE had to drop the motor 6 in. to get the crank and transm. to line up . iIt took about a steddy week of enginering things but she fired up and we were able to pull 4 - 16s with it . It also had one of those overdrives in it , we would get the tractor rolling in 4th gear and when it got to wide open rolling you put the tractor trans. in neutral and shiffted the od . into gear and reengaged the clutch and hang on . :lol: :lol: Boy that thing would fly , don't now the mph . but i wouldn't be scared to say around 40 mph . :lol: :lol:

Awesome story John. Is that tractor still around?
This will go in an F-14. Unlike the overdrive you had in the F-30 which basically gave you only one 'overdrive' gear, this gives you dual range in all gears including reverse. I believe the gear ratio is around 2.3:1 so it will over double the speed in every gear.

#4 ihcnut

ihcnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

that overdrive story reminds me of dad telling me that his neighbor made a trailor with a pickup axle then pu a drive shaft to the pto on it...Said he would have it behind the H get it up to speed in 5th Engage the PTO and hang on...Can u IMAGINE??? HOOOOO BOY!

#5 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

Awesome story John. Is that tractor still around?
This will go in an F-14. Unlike the overdrive you had in the F-30 which basically gave you only one 'overdrive' gear, this gives you dual range in all gears including reverse. I believe the gear ratio is around 2.3:1 so it will over double the speed in every gear.

JOHN E . GROTT

#6 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:36 PM

Sorry for messing up the last reply i still have to learn how to do the multyquote thing. Yes i think my uncle still has it . Lwas uver there last summer and he still had it . I'll try and get overthere asap and try and get some pics. to post.
JOHN E . GROTT

#7 oneday

oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

i wouldn't want to go 20mph on an F-30! :lol:
"From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? All of us together, in and out of government, must bear the burden. The solutions we seek must be equitable, with no one group singled out to pay a higher price."
-Ronald Reagan

#8 kerryfromct

kerryfromct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

john  do you now use racing gloves on the f-30 lol....

im looking for a manual for a heisler road gear overdrive box .like yours in the pic...capy s are ok . i just cant find any...thank you your time ---think rain and spring....kerry.... :rolleyes:

#9 George 2

George 2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

I am sad to say but John won't answer. He passed away last year.

#10 kerryfromct

kerryfromct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

sorry......God rest and keep him......

Reply to this topic