26 replies to this topic

#1 pirlbeck

pirlbeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Anyone have a list of the fault codes for the engine controller? For some reason my factory MX manual does not list any engine fault codes....must be too old or else I need another manual of some sort. Anyway here are the codes.

ENG 00539
ENG 00433
ENG 00329
ENG 00276
ENG 00277

Thanks!
Pat

#2 Followme1086

Followme1086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Family and Tractor pulling ,engines,smoke n turbos Wrenchin on RED tractors

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

539=injection control transorb in harness failed 433=boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions 329=caps pump overpumping failure 276= injection contol out of range 277= injection control valve failed

Crops are Green the Sky is Blue and Tractors are RED!!!!

#3 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

From ASIST.....

Fault code 539 indicates a transorb diode failure. The transorb diode is also called transient suppressor.

The transorb diode is part of the engine harness and is located near the ECM (about 8 inches away). It is a copper cylinder measuring approximately 13 mm (0.5 inch) in diameter and 75 mm (3 inches) long.

Cut the old transorb diode from the engine harness and solder the new transorb diode in its place.

The transorb diode protects the ECM from voltage spikes created by the injection control valve. If the engine is run with a failed transorb diode, an ECM failure can result. Run the engine and check for normal operation after replacing the transorb diode. If the engine has a cylinder miss or the engine fails to start, the ECM may need to be replaced.

329, 276 and 277 can be triggered by the failed suppressor or by fuel restriction or air ingress into the fuel system.

Inspect the electric transfer pump for leakage between the pump and base. The 3 bolts that attach the pump have a tendency to lose tension.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#4 pirlbeck

pirlbeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. Would J944110 be the correct part number for the transorb diode?

The problem this tractor is having has been described to me as "the engine cutting out" at road speed. If I understood correctly, the engine dies momentarily and then comes back. I believe it just keeps doing this at road speed.

Thanks again!
Pat

#5 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. Would J944110 be the correct part number for the transorb diode?

The problem this tractor is having has been described to me as "the engine cutting out" at road speed. If I understood correctly, the engine dies momentarily and then comes back. I believe it just keeps doing this at road speed.

Thanks again!
Pat

That is the correct p/n. Just under $200.00.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#6 pirlbeck

pirlbeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

We replaced the transorb diode today with no improvement at all with how it runs. When driving it and when the bucking starts, the display beeps and reads engine fault. Error code 00433 has now moved to the top of the error code list (replacing 00539) so I am assuming 00433 is now the most recent one and replacing the transorb diode took care of code 00539. As posted above, error code 00433 is "boost level disagrees with engine operation conditions" The wires to the two (1 boost & 1 temp) sensors in the intake manifold (cylinder head actually) are connected and the wiring looks to be in good condition. What other "conditions" does the ECM look at to make this determination? Is there any way to ohm test the boost sensor?

We have checked the electric fuel pump bolts as mentioned above and checked the fuel flow and it appears fine. The inline filter and fuel filter are both new. We disconnected the fuel line from the filter at the pump and when turning the key on we get a very good flow. Also, we have a digital remote reading gauge hooked to the DR port on the pump and we have 170PSI at idle and 155 at road speed when the cutting out starts.

I am still waiting on the Case/IH fuel system service manual, so could someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this current code. Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem without the Case-IH dealer laptop? Will we be able to troubleshoot this once we get the service manual along with a DVOM?

Also, is it not possible to clear the error codes using the procedure shown in the manual where you hold the INCR & DECR keys for 10 seconds? Does this only work on earlier tractors or earlier software versions? For whatever reason I can not clear the codes using the display keys and this is not the first tractor I have had this problem on.

Thanks!
Pat

#7 Efisk

Efisk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

Pirlbeck, Thank you for starting this topic. We currently have an MX270 at the farm with what sounds like mirror image symptoms. While myself and the Dealer currently working on the tractor have yet to determine the cause of the problem, this topic has given me a few more ideas. So far we have tried a new software reload, injection pump pressure sensor, and tried a different control module, and replaced a majority of the fuel lines, all with no improvement. ours only really cuts out at road speed and typically only once after each startup, however further investigation might have revealed this to be a false symptom. Like you we have tested the pressure of the gear pump supplying the injection pump and found it to be well in speck, we disconnected the fuel line after the lift pump and checked for good lift and flow, and visually it looked good. Next we followed the recommendation of assist and built a clear fuel line to go from the fuel/water-separator filter to the injection gear pump. this line allowed us to see that very large amounts of air are entering the fuel system when the engine is loaded during shifting up to and maintaining road speed. this clear line also revealed that our problem is not so much related to startup as it is to loading of the engine because we could now see that excessive air was entering the fuel system anytime the engine was under load. We've bypassed the fuel/water separator and still have air in the fuel system, so my next step is to investigate the startup lift pump. I would suggest that you build a similar line as it has helped us to determine that what we thought was an electronic issue is really more of a mechanical problem. For our Line I used a piece of large clear milk hose, a couple of fittings with pipe fitting on one side and barbed ends on the other side for fitting into hoses and hose clamping, and then the appropriate fittings to attach into the fuel system.
Hope this can help lead you in a direction that gets your tractor fixed, if I ever figure out whats wrong with ours, I'll post it up.

#8 Followme1086

Followme1086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Family and Tractor pulling ,engines,smoke n turbos Wrenchin on RED tractors

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

The EST will help with a snapshot of info from when error code occurred. User fueling state logged in this snap shot will help diagnose problems. You still have to check sensors and harness with DVOM. Have you verified actual boost PSI while under fault conditions? Condition of turbo?

Crops are Green the Sky is Blue and Tractors are RED!!!!

#9 pirlbeck

pirlbeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Pirlbeck, Thank you for starting this topic. We currently have an MX270 at the farm with what sounds like mirror image symptoms. While myself and the Dealer currently working on the tractor have yet to determine the cause of the problem, this topic has given me a few more ideas. So far we have tried a new software reload, injection pump pressure sensor, and tried a different control module, and replaced a majority of the fuel lines, all with no improvement. ours only really cuts out at road speed and typically only once after each startup, however further investigation might have revealed this to be a false symptom. Like you we have tested the pressure of the gear pump supplying the injection pump and found it to be well in speck, we disconnected the fuel line after the lift pump and checked for good lift and flow, and visually it looked good. Next we followed the recommendation of assist and built a clear fuel line to go from the fuel/water-separator filter to the injection gear pump. this line allowed us to see that very large amounts of air are entering the fuel system when the engine is loaded during shifting up to and maintaining road speed. this clear line also revealed that our problem is not so much related to startup as it is to loading of the engine because we could now see that excessive air was entering the fuel system anytime the engine was under load. We've bypassed the fuel/water separator and still have air in the fuel system, so my next step is to investigate the startup lift pump. I would suggest that you build a similar line as it has helped us to determine that what we thought was an electronic issue is really more of a mechanical problem. For our Line I used a piece of large clear milk hose, a couple of fittings with pipe fitting on one side and barbed ends on the other side for fitting into hoses and hose clamping, and then the appropriate fittings to attach into the fuel system.
Hope this can help lead you in a direction that gets your tractor fixed, if I ever figure out whats wrong with ours, I'll post it up.

Are you setting any error codes at all? This tractor bucks/cuts out so bad you could not drive it any distance on the road at all and I don't think there is any way it would work in the field this way either.

I think I need to find the reason for my 00433 error code and hopefully the problem will be repaired.

Thanks for your reply!
Pat

#10 pirlbeck

pirlbeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

The EST will help with a snapshot of info from when error code occurred. User fueling state logged in this snap shot will help diagnose problems. You still have to check sensors and harness with DVOM. Have you verified actual boost PSI while under fault conditions? Condition of turbo?

It was late in the day when we got the diode changed and have not had time to investigate the problem any farther. We will be looking at the turbo and checking boost pressure tomorrow. Hopefully the fuel system manual will be in at the local dealer tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help!
Pat

Reply to this topic