What brand of portable sawmill do you prefer?

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_1966IH504_*

Guest_1966IH504_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

I have been studying portable sawmill designs and features and would like to know from experienced users, what brands they like or dislike and what features need improvements. For exmple, I have heard that some owners of LOG-MASTER sawmills say, that the trailer leveling jacks are flimsy. Haven't heard much else negative about that brand. Anyone own a model LM3, LM4, or LM6?

Wood-Mizer sawmills offer a lot of options and features, but are they worth the price? I like the fact that their mills have stainless steel bed sleeves. In addition, I like that the trailer outriggers are of a sturdier design and also the LubeMizer blade coolant feature is pressurized, instead of gravity feed. I am a little concerned about the cantilever design and the fact that the debarker is an electric motor and has a small diameter carbide tipped blade. The LOG-MASTER uses a hydraulic motor with a chainsaw loop on a 12" disc.

Anyone own a Wood-Mizer LT70, LT50, or LT40 Super Hydraulic?

I have looked at TimberKing, but need options that they don't offer. I think a bandsaw type mill will work better for my needs than a circular saw mill.

#2 farmall666

farmall666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING / FISHING / IH PRODUCTS / WOMEN

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

WOOD-MIZER IS A GOOD BRAND.. MY BUDDY HAS ONE..

#3 Guest_1966IH504_*

Guest_1966IH504_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

WOOD-MIZER IS A GOOD BRAND.. MY BUDDY HAS ONE..

Ok, thanks, I've heard from a few others and they all liked them, too. There's always so much marketing hype,and it can make it difficult to find out the unbiased facts. I'd like to get a transfer table and maybe an inclined conveyor to compliment a future mill purchase, but they may be too cost prohibitive. Will definitely purchase an automated sharpener and several extra blades.

I know there are people that swear by their Lucas or Peterson mills, but I don't want to have to manhandle heavy logs onto or underneath the mill and then have to shim or put them onto blocking. The videos always show how quick the circular saw, swing blade mills cut the logs into dimensional lumber, but they kind of omit part of the setup process, IMO. Their company reps may argue with me, but when I have to roll a 1,500 lb or 2000 lb log, that is not easy and labor free.

#4 mmi

mmi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

Have not looked real close but would have bought the wood mizer ($$ double others)
traveling and custom mill have them here 15 + years I know of

#5 yellowrosefarm

yellowrosefarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

I have an older Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic. I bought it at an auction and it needed work and a debarker, all of which I have done. Before I bought mine, I hired a fellow 4 times with the same mill to come out and cut for me. I really wanted a Baker 4 post but never saw a used one I could come close to affording. I may cut for $ at some point, but for now I just need lumber for some more farm buildings. The thing I don't like about the Woodmizer is the tendency toward thick and thin boards because of the one arm design. Cutting clean wood with sharp blades, of course, helps but that isn't always the real world. I will say that the Woodmizer organization is a first rate company to deal with. If you are going to cut for a living you wouldn't have to worry about after the sale support from them. The funny thing about a Woodmizer is that when it shows up in the morning, it looks pretty small and insignificant next to the pile of logs you want to have sawn. By the end of the day, however, it's grown in stature and your sore arms can't wait to see the thing leave. They really can cut a lot of lumber in a hurry.

#6 806Jordy

806Jordy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Farmall 806D &H,Woodmizer LT40HD

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

I had a Woodmizer LT40 HYDRALIC as far as Im concerned Woodmizer makes the best Band Mill out there. Very reliable and makes accurate cuts time after time. I bought my first mill in 1997,a LT40 non hydalic I had so much work comming in I moved up to the same mill with hydralics a year later. They are very easy to use and maintain. There are a ton of options available. The single most important option I would reccomend is the debarker. Setworks might be nice but the manual scale is very easy to read and use. I have sawn every species of tree that grows in the north east both hardwood and softwood. It's an excellent machine,they offer good support including

sharpening. I was very happy with the mill I had. I sold it this last fall and am missing it already. Might not be long before I have another. Would love a Super Hydralic or the LT50.
You can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy!!!! I run a Farmall 806D & H,Woodmizer LT40HD sawmill. Ridin a 2009 Harley Lowrider V&H big radius exhaust w/ screamin eagle heavy breather.103" big bore and stage IV. Runs like a raped ape! Thinkin bout adding a 3 pt. hitch and 1000 rpm pto.

#7 exSW

exSW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • Interests:Red farm and Construction equipment,fast cars,guns

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

They used a Woodmizer here last year,I was impressed and I grew up with a Frick #1.They brought in an Amish guy to fine tune it as they had just bought it and were novices with a mill.A little VERY fine tuning made a big difference.
Still not as hard to set up and tune as a big portable circular sawmill.I'd buy one.

66 706D NF FH,59 560D,54 TD-6(sold),Model 46 baler,Model 76 combine,Model 155 Spreader,Model 56 planter,100 FH mower,463 FH cult(2),782 Cub Cadet(2),682 INTERNATIONAL Cub Cadet,1650 cubcadet w/50A mower and 1A(?) rototiller,311 FH plows(3),FH subsoiler,Fast hitch carry-all,10'8" FH disk,FH post hole digger(needs ring gear),FH landside hitch(I think) and looking for more!

Member Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineer's and Trainmen Division 757
UT Martin '87
"Get there the firstis' with the mostis'"Nathan Bedford Forrest
Sire of:2011-2012 PA State FFA Association Sentinel (TLC)
Scars are Tattoos with better stories

#8 Guest_1966IH504_*

Guest_1966IH504_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

I have an older Woodmizer LT40 hydraulic. I bought it at an auction and it needed work and a debarker, all of which I have done. Before I bought mine, I hired a fellow 4 times with the same mill to come out and cut for me. I really wanted a Baker 4 post but never saw a used one I could come close to affording. I may cut for $ at some point, but for now I just need lumber for some more farm buildings. The thing I don't like about the Woodmizer is the tendency toward thick and thin boards because of the one arm design. Cutting clean wood with sharp blades, of course, helps but that isn't always the real world. I will say that the Woodmizer organization is a first rate company to deal with. If you are going to cut for a living you wouldn't have to worry about after the sale support from them. The funny thing about a Woodmizer is that when it shows up in the morning, it looks pretty small and insignificant next to the pile of logs you want to have sawn. By the end of the day, however, it's grown in stature and your sore arms can't wait to see the thing leave. They really can cut a lot of lumber in a hurry.

Yeah, I gotta have a debarker equipped mill. I wish I could find a simple way to attach a Log-Master type debarker on the Wood-Mizer. The Log-Master version is a hydraulic motor with a 12" disk that's got a chainsaw loop on it. It alone weighs over 150 lbs. Guess I better go to my nearest Wood-Mizer dealer and get a closer inspection of their electric debarker. I understand about the sore arms. I've felled some very large trees and unfortunately, I didn't have a mill to turn them into lumber. The people I know that do own their own mills are too far away to help. I'm hoping to build a specialized structure just for a sawmill. I don't plan on moving the sawmill very often, and would rather just bring the logs to the mill, instead of hauling the mill to the logs. Hope I can purchase a transfer table that will make the board handling process more simplistic and less laborious. I'm used to back breaking work and ready for the challenge. There are so many wood working projects that I plan on building with some of the lumber. But, I will have to figure out if I want to be patient and just air dry the lumber, the old fashioned way or build a solar kiln.

#9 Guest_1966IH504_*

Guest_1966IH504_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I had a Woodmizer LT40 HYDRALIC as far as Im concerned Woodmizer makes the best Band Mill out there. Very reliable and makes accurate cuts time after time. I bought my first mill in 1997,a LT40 non hydalic I had so much work comming in I moved up to the same mill with hydralics a year later. They are very easy to use and maintain. There are a ton of options available. The single most important option I would reccomend is the debarker. Setworks might be nice but the manual scale is very easy to read and use. I have sawn every species of tree that grows in the north east both hardwood and softwood. It's an excellent machine,they offer good support including

sharpening. I was very happy with the mill I had. I sold it this last fall and am missing it already. Might not be long before I have another. Would love a Super Hydralic or the LT50.

I can understand about you missing the mill. I've been wanting one for quite a while and sure wouldn't want to have to give one up. Did yours have a debarker? If so, how long did the debarker blade last? I've been making comparisons on debarker designs and that is what prompted me to inquire about it. When sawing hardwoods, how long could you go before changing bandsaw blades? I can totally understand why you wanted hydraulics. When I look at the open frame type mills like Lucas, I can see why the swing blade design is fast at cutting, but the setup process looks tiring. I'd rather have something that doesn't require me having to walk behind the cutter head. I know they have automated designs, but they don't have loading arms and Wood-Mizer does. The Wood-Mizer LT70 sure looks nice, but the price is not, especially when you add the options. :o

#10 Guest_1966IH504_*

Guest_1966IH504_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

They used a Woodmizer here last year,I was impressed and I grew up with a Frick #1.They brought in an Amish guy to fine tune it as they had just bought it and were novices with a mill.A little VERY fine tuning made a big difference.
Still not as hard to set up and tune as a big portable circular sawmill.I'd buy one.

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more, towards the bandsaw mills. I'm not familiar with the Frick. Will have to study on that. Those Amish folks are sure hard workers and can produce some amazing things.

Reply to this topic