350 Farmall

11 replies to this topic

#1 twisted856

twisted856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Collecting all kinds of old farm items. Restoring Tractors and equp. Toy collector. Keeping the family farm going!!!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

Ok, I have run across a guy who wants to sell me a 350 gas, row crop Farmall. He says it runs great and has the 2 point hitch. No power steering. Now he says it has a pto problem. I haven't seen the tractor yet so I'm going off what he tells me on the phone. He said the pto made a ticking noise all the time so he removed a plate in the middle of the tractor and found the drive gear for the pto lose and chewed up some . Above this gear he said it looked fine, but the lose gear has a bolt gone out of it and the washer was laying in the belly. What bolt is he talking about ? I never knew of those gears having a bolt holding them on. I may know more later today after I take a look, but he has me stumped as of now . He also said the T/A handle was taken off ? H'mm ,T/a out or taken out ? I would be interested in this tractor only because of me having a 450 to go along with it. Let me know if you all have any ideas. Thanks
Larry

#2 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:33 AM

LARRY - Sounds like there's something wrong with the "seasonal PTO disconnect", there was a small lever in the clutch housing inside the lower cover to disengage the IPTO drive gears up right behind the engine clutch/flywheel. The idea was to be able to shut the PTO off so you didn't have to listen to the PTO unit on the back of the rearend whine all the time. We never messed with that disconnect on our SM-TA or 450. Maybe someone else can give a better diagnosis and explain the repair better.

Neighbor had a gas 350 rowcrop as his main tractor on 160 acres for many years. Pulled 3-14's with it but the little C-175 wouldn't lug like a good M. He ran EVERYTHING hard and it survived the abuse. They were a nice little tractor, stingy on fuel/gas on light loads, the T/A, LPTO, and three valve hyd was real handly, and the Fast hitch would be a nice option, too bad it doesn't have P/S, but that was more common on the 450's. Another somewhat rare option on the 350's was the heavy-duty rear axle option, the 2-3/4" dia bars (M/SM/400/450 size) instead of the normal 2-1/2" bars like the H/SH's all had.

If it's in decent shape, usable matched tires all around, especially the rears, sheet metal all there and not beat up they are a handy little tractor to have around.

#3 twisted856

twisted856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Interests:Collecting all kinds of old farm items. Restoring Tractors and equp. Toy collector. Keeping the family farm going!!!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response Dr.Evil. I have never messed with the disconnect on one of these before. Another bad point you mentioned is the rear tires. He said they hold air and that is it. It does have spin out rear rims which is good or bad but may help in value of the tractor. I just thought it would be neat to have a 350 to go with my 450. He is not out of the ball park on price but if you add new rubber on it then it gets pricey real quick. Thanks again
Larry

#4 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

LARRY - Too bad about the condition of the rear rubber. I've been looking for ONE 13.6 x 38 Firestone 23 deg. to match the one good tire on the back of Dad's '51 M. The old Firestone had an unfortunate encounter with a broken off steel post while opening up a corn field with the old 2M-E picker about 40-45 yrs ago when the Firestones were only a couple yrs old. The old tire Dad had mounted was one of the pair he'd replaced with the Firestones..... for good reason! I can almost SEE the air inside the tire thru the cracks in the center of the tire!

The spin-out or Power-Adjust rear wheels are a nice option. My Buddy who has a pretty nice collection of Allis D-series says they do have their own issues, the "Z" bars breaking loose from the rim, and the clamps working loose but sometimes they resist ALL attempts to loosen to adjust tread width. I'd like to find a set of either power-adjust rear wheels/rms or later 400/450/560 cast center double-bevel rear rims/wheels for the M so I could narrow it up enough to trailer to shows.

Yep, a nice set of 350/450's would be neat to have around. I'd NEVER get rid of my stg II Super H but I would semi-retire it if I could find a decent 350 to put under the loader. They are just that much handier with the LPTO & T/A.

#5 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

Its the gear under the first cover back from the clutch cover. Gear is splined to the pto shaft and a special washer and a bolt retain it to shaft. Not the first to come loose IH made a change in the washer and bolt because of the problem. Big plug in the main clutch compartment gives access to the bolt when its in place. Bad news, if the gear is bad a split is needed. Shaft gear is on is removed out the rear of tractor center housing. Dave

#6 aar

aar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:All things IH, from Cub Cadets to Pullers and most everything in between

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

buy it then bring it over! we can fix it all up and then take it to toby's for tires then on up to brandon's for paint! 10k should just about take care of our part :lol:
806d,450g, 45M,53 golden jubilee, building pullers

#7 GaryhMN

GaryhMN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:18 AM

We have 3 350s long story but a very nice handy tractor sur is surprizing the power differance beween them and an H . The one I have I put in a differant cam from a savage yard . Someone welded gear to the cam and it brokeand gear on the crank was loose had it knurled. But will that thing pull and lug.

#8 1947 farmall H puller

1947 farmall H puller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

If anyone Know's where A guy could get his hand's on a loose c-175 out of a 350 I would love to have one for my H. Sorry for hyjacking the post just seemed like a good time to ask. Shawn.

#9 TP from Central PA

TP from Central PA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts
  • Interests:Collecting IH's and brand X tractors...................Looking for more!

Basically if it is Junk, I like it!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

I got a complete factory power steering setup for a 350 laying here. Guy built a pulling tractor out of one and removed the ps/hydraulics/pto/fasthitch.

I never ran a Farmall 350 alot, but spent alot of time on a 300. I was always amazed at how much more go they had over a H, almost so much it was like they weren't even related. They wouldn't lug with a stock M, but they'd keep up to one with a stock 248 setup. We had a 350U for awhile. That was a nice little machine. I know I wish I had it now, it would work great on our 3pt pto buzz saw.

TP's notebook, Winter 2014..............Case/IH Parts man- "Once you have a Gleaner you gain the comforting knowledge that you are stuck at the bottom of the food chain in the combine world with no hope of ever going up"............."Every time I climb into a sound-guard cab I feel like the Apollo Astronauts did when they climbed through the hatch".............."Farmers are making way to much money when the rural bank remodels both the front AND rear entrance"...................."Horses eat money and S**T work"- Famous Red power member.

#10 twisted856

twisted856

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Well I went and looked at the 350 this evening and AAR was not to far away on the things that needed to be fixed.Sheet metal wasn't as straight as he said, radiator was leaking, oil pan was bent and leaking, pto gear was pounding inside,no lights, no key switch, gauges didn't work but was new, battery box was a mess, bolts broke holding the hub on axle,steering wheel was broke out, T/A handle gone, clutch slipped, front end wobbled going down the road, rear tires was not even holding air, brakes didn't work at all, and the hood only had been painted with a brush,center section was a different color then the rest of the tractor BUT it did run like a new one. Sorry to say but I passed on this deal. If anybody wants a project 350 I would be glad to give his number to you.

Reply to this topic