Source for brownie transmissions?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Dirty Offio

Dirty Offio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Anything big and powerful, tractors, dozers, 4x4s, you name it.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

I know that we are not supposed to list parts for sale on here, and that is not what I am looking for exactly. I would like to know if anyone knows of a wrecking yard for bigger trucks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or maybe western Montana. I am looking for one of the smaller 3 speed brownie's (out of an old ton and a quarter, or ton and a half.) I have a 68 4 door long box with a NP 435 4 speed. I would like to put in a Brownie to: Get an overdrive, and be able to split the difference between 2nd and 3rd when pulling a load.

Thanks! and Happy Holidays!

Offio
There are few problems that cannot be solved with the application of sufficient horsepower!
"Violence might not always be the best option, but it is still an option!" WJ

#2 Harold H

Harold H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Interests:MY COLLECTION: (TOYS)
    1947 International I-4
    1961 Volkswagon Beetle "Herbie"
    196? Hobie Cat 16'7"
    1968 Cub Cadet 122
    1970 Cub Cadet 105
    1982 Fiat 124 Spider
    1988 Suzuki/Amphijeep "Baby Duck"
    1992 Alegro/Ford E350 Class C Motor Home
    1996 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel
    FORMER COLLECTION TRACTORS:
    1950 Farmall H
    1957 Farmall 130 High Clear
    196? Minn Moline 110
    1968 Cub Cadet 123
    197? Cub Cadet 582
    197? Cub Cadet 12??
    1980 Struck Mini Dozer
    ALSO LIKE:
    Antique airplanes
    Antique cars & trucks
    Trains
    Travel

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

What is a "Brownie" transmission? I have never heard of a transmission referred to as a "Brownie".

Harold H

I know that we are not supposed to list parts for sale on here, and that is not what I am looking for exactly. I would like to know if anyone knows of a wrecking yard for bigger trucks in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, or maybe western Montana. I am looking for one of the smaller 3 speed brownie's (out of an old ton and a quarter, or ton and a half.) I have a 68 4 door long box with a NP 435 4 speed. I would like to put in a Brownie to: Get an overdrive, and be able to split the difference between 2nd and 3rd when pulling a load.

Thanks! and Happy Holidays!

Offio

#3 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

I have seen some brownies on Ebay.
Many of the dirt hauling loadstars in the 60's ran them.
I think a 9 speed eaton would be simpler if you could make room for it.
The air shift could be a problem.
I have always wanted one of the twin countershaft air shifted Roadrangers in a light truck. Someone already pointed out that the roadranger would take up most of the cab and the stick would hit the overhead and a pull clutch would be a problem for a 460 ford gasser. Plus the thing has no synchronizers in the 5 speed section.
My RTXF-14609B waits for install.
The service manuals are free and every truck tranny shop in the world can fix-um

#4 dieselrick

dieselrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Interests:Primarily interested in trucks. Active in ATHS. Current project - R-185 wrecker, Sold my A - moved to town and had to downsize a bit. got the truck and my 127 Cadet in my new shop 28x40 aren't they always too small?

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

I guess I saw this post the day it appeared - really don't have any clues where to look in your part of the world, just have to start with any yards that have some trucks and the look at some of the lighter end of tandens, like F-1800 I-H -60/65 series Gm etc. If I was home I could give you the Spicer # that works best for install into light duty. The I-h # is AT-501 or code 13501 on the line setting ticket. Think the Spicer # is 5231, but not sure on that for a under,direct,OD 3 speed. Originally these types of geare boxes were made by Brown LIpe and the nickname brownie just kind of endured thru the Spicer generation. edit -forgot to clarify brownie refered to auxiliary transmissions
Rick/mn
Rick/mn Cub Cadet 129. Primary interests is trucks, active in ATHS -I-H truck project is 1963 R-185 Wrecker.

#5 john r

john r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • Interests:IHC tractor and trucks

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

I remember a gear box for lighter trucks called a ranger ,but I thing it was just a 2 speed.Not sure but I think it was avallabe in UD/D or D/OD.They were a lot smaller and lighter than 4sd aux

#6 Dirty Offio

Dirty Offio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

Harold, I was going to explain "brownie". but dieselrick explained it perfectly.

Oleman, Yeah, the airshift would be a problem, not to mention the sheer sizr of the thing. The lack of synchros would not bother me (brownies ain't got 'em either), I drive truck for a living. I agree a RR in a pickup would be cool tho! Oh, and I saw the ones on ebay also. Unfortunately those people are smoking some really bad stuff...or were when they decided on thier starting prices at any rate! lol I can buy an entire truck for $800 with a brownie, (the truck is 150 miles away, on the opposite side of seattle), I fail to see how the people listing the brownies expect the bidding to start at $1000.

Dieselrick, Thanks for the info! I will write those down so I have some #'s to play with!

John R, The ranger is a 2 speed auxillary trans that can either be installed as a direct/overdrive, or as an underdrive/direct depending on which way you installed it. What I am looking for is a 3 speed auxillary transmission, that is under/direct/overdrive. They were installed in some 1 1/4 ton and heavier trucks.

For anyone who is not quite sure what I am talking about, go to youtube and type in twin stick shifting. That will show you how they run, even if they do not show the box itself. Here is a link if it will let me post it.

Cheers!
There are few problems that cannot be solved with the application of sufficient horsepower!

#7 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Interests:If i can help with anything is all i want to do .

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

My dad had a gmc tandum with the 3 speed brownie your looking for he took it out when the motor went bad and he put a bigger motor in and had to revamp the trans. to fit . I'll try and get over there this weekend and see if he still has it and get back to you .
JOHN E . GROTT

#8 Dirty Offio

Dirty Offio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:26 AM

My dad had a gmc tandum with the 3 speed brownie your looking for he took it out when the motor went bad and he put a bigger motor in and had to revamp the trans. to fit . I'll try and get over there this weekend and see if he still has it and get back to you .

Thanks John!

#9 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:49 AM

Sorry but it slipped my mind . I'll give him a call in the morning a give you a post asap.
JOHN E . GROTT

#10 john e. grott

john e. grott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I called dad a little bit ago and he doesn't have it anymore . He said he gave it to his brother in law .He was going to put it in a house trailer hauling rig to get better fuel economy . Sorry
JOHN E . GROTT

Reply to this topic