APPROVED!!!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Bermuda_Ken

Bermuda_Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts
  • Interests:IH & Kenworth literature, O-scale trains.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

I was conversing with my editor at Motorbooks today. She said that the author who suggested doing a book on the IH industrial (PAY LINE) was approved!!

Look for this to be in printed form, ready to buy at x-mas 2006!!! Should be a good book too! I am NOT the author of this. If/when they decide to come forward to promote this everyone will know who they are.........

Get the RED EDGE......the IH Edge.....working for you!

Still looking for a IH 4300 Transtar Eagle Brougham Truck!! (like the one in the photo)

IH's owned past & present.......F-1206, F-806 sn# 501, CC Original # 522, CC Original(s), Spirit of 76 Cadet, 126, 1450, 1200, 1610 CADET prototype, 1250(2), 782(2), 782-Diesel(2), 982(2), 1912 & More!

See the LARGEST FREE listing of Modern IH tractor wiring diagrams on the internet (at least for now) by clicking....IH Tractor Wiring Diagrams

Visit the IH dealership I work at, Johnson Tractor (2012 Dealership of the Year) in Juda, WI......... www.johnsontractor.com

Contributing author for Red Power, Classic Farm & Tractor, Heritage Iron and Classic Tractor magazines. IH Tractor book author for Motorbooks, Voyager Press & Octane Press.......BUY A COPY & Read a book!!!
rededge.jpg

#2 Old Pokey

Old Pokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Track layers. High speed tracks and undercarriages.<br /><br /> Target shooting.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

Hi Ken. I hear about your book from time to time. But I still dont know what its titled. I had an idea since it is a popular book, maybe you could put the title of it in your posting info. If this new book by the other authors is anywhere as good as people talk about your book, it is sure to be a hit.

#3 Salix

Salix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:24 AM

Hey Folks --

I would like to thank Ken and Guy Fay for convincing me to take a stab at a Construction Equipment book proposal. I have wished for such a book over the years, and when I lamented as much to Ken at this year's Winter Convention, he looked at me and laughed and said something like "Why don't you just do it and quit complaining that there isn't one."

So here we are.

What I can use in the way of help right now is some contact info for any owners of IH scrapers, excavators, dozers, wheel loaders, airplane tugs, loggers, etc. who might have machines that can be photographed.

Thanks much.

Hank Will
willo@gettysburg.edu

#4 WEK

WEK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Well, now that I know who the author will be, I feel more assured that it will be a good job. All the articles I have read by Hank in Red Power (and other) magazines have been well-researched and done.

I have long wanted to put together a book on IH crawlers, but my intention was that it would be more like a reference book with the photos of the tractors in their Sunday best in the studio photos along with their corresponding specifications.

I see that you, on the other hand, intend to go after them in their "working clothes"

I look forward to seeing your publication, Hank

Good luck

WEK

#5 Bermuda_Ken

Bermuda_Ken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts
  • Interests:IH & Kenworth literature, O-scale trains.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

O.P.....I have produced 3 books so far. Two of them are from Motorbooks.
They are :

IH Tractors 1955-1985, Cub-Cub Cadet History, and a soon to be printed, International Cub-Cub Cadet originality guide.

I also self published a pocket sized serial number guide on IH tractors.(sold out right now) This may be reprinted (for the 3rd time) but if it is, it will have a major overhaul on its content with 30%-50% MORE data to be added!!

Get the RED EDGE......the IH Edge.....working for you!

Still looking for a IH 4300 Transtar Eagle Brougham Truck!! (like the one in the photo)

IH's owned past & present.......F-1206, F-806 sn# 501, CC Original # 522, CC Original(s), Spirit of 76 Cadet, 126, 1450, 1200, 1610 CADET prototype, 1250(2), 782(2), 782-Diesel(2), 982(2), 1912 & More!

See the LARGEST FREE listing of Modern IH tractor wiring diagrams on the internet (at least for now) by clicking....IH Tractor Wiring Diagrams

Visit the IH dealership I work at, Johnson Tractor (2012 Dealership of the Year) in Juda, WI......... www.johnsontractor.com

Contributing author for Red Power, Classic Farm & Tractor, Heritage Iron and Classic Tractor magazines. IH Tractor book author for Motorbooks, Voyager Press & Octane Press.......BUY A COPY & Read a book!!!
rededge.jpg

#6 Drott-150

Drott-150

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:02 PM

Salix - Great to hear about the new book, there's a very serious dearth of information and books on IH's later crawlers (i.e. 50's on), so it's great to hear someone is stepping up to the plate. It sounds ambitious in the sense that you're going to cover all of the more esoteric stuff including airplane tugs and big scrapers (i.e. equipment hardly anyone is using anymore, whereas thousands are still running their old loaders and dozers). Personally, I'd like to see something dedicated more along the lines of loaders and dozers, including lots of richly detailed info on the loaders and their development/corporate history and some in depth discussion about the Drott/IH connection.

If you need pics of a 150 loader (TD9B w/Drott loader) in original trim (in excellent condition) doing it's thing, then let me know. I'd be happy to cooperate fully in getting you whatever pics you need.

Thanks for the great news......

#7 rocko59

rocko59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Interests:&quot;most &quot; machinery, especially heavy equipment &amp; trains, BIG trucks, operating, repairing machinery, studying &amp; collecting machinery tech books, literature &amp; pics-lots of pics! Computers, cars(Mopars &amp; FoMoCo's), 4 by 4's &amp; too many other things to list.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:32 AM

Congratulations on your decision to bless us die hard IH Construction fans with a book!!!! I've worked on many machines from the line for quite a few years, wish I would have taken many more pics though. I know MANY people who still work a lot of IH iron, including most but the airplane tuggers, not many hoes either. My Email is "rocko59@telus.net" minus the quotation marks, I will gladly offer to help in any way I can. In BC here there were some very active dealers of the line back to the 40's, maybe I'd better get to the Vernon Museum to see what they have as a big pile of stuff went there from JS Galbraith & Son's, they sold logging iron by the trainload, my boss was with them for many years & was the service manager up to the demise of International. Your sincerely, Russ Cadotte
From the Okanagan valley in beautiful British Columbia, maybe THE place with the highest concentration of IH crawlers and according to IH, when they were going strong, some of the toughest conditions for logging equipment, they sent a lot of machines to southern BC to R&D!! IH/Dresser Mechanic since 1987, a few before that too, TD25's are great, TD20E's sound awesome!! Worked on TD5's to TD25G's. TD15C number 501, the very first one is still working near here. I have a Hough model 12 track loader S/N PL12-647 and a TD15-151, S/N 4864.

#8 Salix

Salix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:57 AM

Good Morning Folks --

Thanks for the kind words and enthusiasm.

WEK -- thanks especially for the kind words. I hope to find some nice restorations and some nice working examples to shoot, and of course some really nice archive photos to include too. I am kind of hung up on action photos -- I love to see the machines doing what they were designed to do, although I enjoy taking tractor portraits too.

MBI's specifications are fairly strict with regard to word count, photo numbers and the like, but I hope to include some serial number lists and tables of model specifications. I have not yet found serial numbers for IH Log Skidders like the S-8 and S-10 but I haven't even been to the archives yet. If you all have serial number lists and the like, or can point me to likely sources, I would appreciate it.

I suspect that a proportionally larger number of words will be devoted to crawlers and wheel loaders because there are plenty of different models and in general they had the longest production lives.

Drott-150, I would love to shoot your machine if that is possible. Believe it or not, but I have decent photos of PayMovers at work at LAX that I took a little over a year ago before we moved to PA.

Russ -- thanks for all of the info. I will be emailing you.

I hope you all don't mind if I post questions from time to time as they pop up. And down the road, I would like to engage a few technical readers to look things over before it gets set in print.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm -- it is both encouraging and motivating.

Hank

#9 Putt-Putt Operator

Putt-Putt Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:04 PM

Hank Will
willo@gettysburg.edu

Wow...a fellow Gettysburger? I grew up there, and my parents still live there about 3-4 miles east of town.

#10 Dr. Ernie

Dr. Ernie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts
  • Interests:I like track machines, and opperating them as well.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:49 PM

I am happy to hear that some one is taking on a project like this, I will buy atleast 2 books when it is pubblished and maybe even more if you use some of my machines. :D :D
did I understand you that you will be putting in some build dates and serial #'s

p.s. I am sending you a privet message, you will probley be interested in.
Addicted to iron, I like crawlers and opperate them as well
.... "Steel does not go flat"...

Vegitarian.......old Indian word for BAD hunter

I am a proud member of P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals

Back from Serving the vegitarian tree loving, enviro-wacko nut jobs At Mc Murdo station (Antartica)

Reply to this topic