20 replies to this topic

#1 weathda

weathda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hi experts. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the rear seal on an DT466 depending on it's application? Would the seal be different for construction equipment (specifically Dresser 175C) and say a piece of AG equipment? We're replacing the engine in our 175C and ordered a reman AG engine. The seal that came in our gasket set looks different (cheaper) than the old one. The one we took out was a National 8971HA made in the USA and has a front and back inner lip with a front and back spring. The one in the gasket set looks like a generic and just has a metal ring on the inside with a bevel on front and back. We're a little scared of the seal in the set.

Komatsu dealer wants $166 !!
Case/IH dealer wants $66
Independant seal places want about $60 for the double lip seal with the sleeve sold seperately.

Unfortunately, no one has it in stock and so we can't compare with what we have on either seal.

For now we've ordered one from the Case/IH dealer. The flywheel will mount to the torque converter which will be oiled from the other side.

Will the AG seal work? Any thoughts?

#2 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

I just had the same thing happen with my DT414. I too, ordered one from CASEIH but the seal was the same. I asked the service guy about it, he said they went to this style seal and said no problems to date.
Tom

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#3 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,232 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

HY Capacity should have the seal you need in teflon or neoprene for $39.00 Teflon and $60.00 neoprene.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#4 weathda

weathda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Tom. I was afraid of that. The engine manual says to install oiled, but the seal from the gasket set has written on it to install dry ?? That's another thing that makes me wonder. We'll know tomorrow. The seal should be here then.

Gonzo, just browsing the web site I didn't see any seals for a 175C, but I did find the two you mention for a combine. Wish they some good pictures on the site. Maybe the seal we have is fine.

#5 Tom in Indiana

Tom in Indiana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Tom. I was afraid of that. The engine manual says to install oiled, but the seal from the gasket set has written on it to install dry ?? That's another thing that makes me wonder. We'll know tomorrow. The seal should be here then.

Gonzo, just browsing the web site I didn't see any seals for a 175C, but I did find the two you mention for a combine. Wish they some good pictures on the site. Maybe the seal we have is fine.

Ya, I meant to mention that. FYI, I wrecked my first one trying to install it with the crank seal already on. They need to be pressed on together with the tool.

captain.gif 

IH 5288
IH 1066 Hydro's (2)
Farmall 1206 Diesel
Farmall 806 Diesel
IH 756 Gas
Farmall MD
Farmall Super C
Hough H-60 Payloader
Cat D4D Dozer
Case 680E Backhoe
Hein-Werner C14A Excavator

"Personally I''m always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."

"Well, I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to."

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required"
Luke 12:48

"Speaking for God, is the greatest of all sins"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"There is nothing wrong with me, that a complete personality change could not fix"

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton, Jr.

VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.c...66269EF1E64D7DA

#6 weathda

weathda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Ya, I meant to mention that.

Does this mean you installed dry?

#7 pete 23

pete 23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

The seal mfgs don't want you to even take the seal off the wear sleeve it comes with. At one time, IH had a batch of those rear seals that were installed backwards on the wear sleeve and they had the dealers return them rather than take them off and turn them around. So, as far as installing dry, what ever lube is on the assembled seal is how it is. Some put locktite on the sleeve, I don't.

#8 ihcscoutman

ihcscoutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

There are two different styles of rear seals.
One is for a dry housing such as a tractor. This will be the graphite style seal.
The other is for wet housings. It will be a neoprene double lip seal, keeps engine oil in the engine and transmission oil in the transmission. I'm not sure if you have a wet housing on your unit, but i do know on a TD15B that we redid the engine in, the rear seal was different than one used on a farm tractor or truck.
Best
Ken

Run Hard............Run Red
Wood & Co.

#9 weathda

weathda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

The seal from the dealer doesn't look much different from the one in the gasket set. Maybe a little thicker. Guess this is the new style. The dealer also cautioned about not taking the seal apart from the sleeve...said to throw it away if you do.

Wow ihcscoutman, sounds like you describe the two seals we have. The 175C has a wet housing (oil is on both sides of the seal). The one we took off sounds like the neoprene double lip seal you describe. The one in the gasket set and the one from the CASEIH dealer sounds like the graphite seal. Wonder if we should punt on the two new seals we have and go with the national seal we took out. We can get the same seal for much cheaper than the Komatsu dealer. Is there a chance this new seal from the tractor dealer would work for oil on both sides? It does appear to have a lip on both sides of the wear ring.

#10 ihcscoutman

ihcscoutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

The seal from the dealer doesn't look much different from the one in the gasket set. Maybe a little thicker. Guess this is the new style. The dealer also cautioned about not taking the seal apart from the sleeve...said to throw it away if you do.

Wow ihcscoutman, sounds like you describe the two seals we have. The 175C has a wet housing (oil is on both sides of the seal). The one we took off sounds like the neoprene double lip seal you describe. The one in the gasket set and the one from the CASEIH dealer sounds like the graphite seal. Wonder if we should punt on the two new seals we have and go with the national seal we took out. We can get the same seal for much cheaper than the Komatsu dealer. Is there a chance this new seal from the tractor dealer would work for oil on both sides? It does appear to have a lip on both sides of the wear ring.

DON"T use the ag seal. It will leak trans oil into the engine. Also remember when you install the seal, press it in with the seal installer against the numbers (part number) on the seal.
Best
Ken

Run Hard............Run Red
Wood & Co.

Reply to this topic