Photo

27V Sickle bar

2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Coombs

Mr Coombs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:making from scratch. tools, gardening, bread, canning, rain barrels, cultivator, fishing lures, furniture.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have obtained two 27V sickle bar mowers. I was under the impression that they had some blue paint on them from pictures on the internet. I have been to the Wisconsin Historical website and do not see this model or anything close to this model/year. I am thinking the wheel is IH white, bar and grass board black?, and everything else IH red. How does this sound to everybody else?

#2 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just found this Image at the Wisconsin Historical Society, International Harvester Archives. It isn't the best because you just get the left hand side but it clearly shows the tail wheel assembly as early IH cream, but the rim is silver. That is pretty much the way I've found any 27V in original paint.

M with mower

Next I will link you to a page with only the paint committee decisions that pertain to mowers.

Paint Committee Decisions

If you wade through all that you might be able to come up with the idea as to how the mower was painted. The archive currently dose not list a decision for the #27V, so just about the best you can do is work out a picture of what it would look like by comparing how the other paint committee decisions read and studying any photos that anyone might have.

In decision #61 they list the bar unit as blue.
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

#3 axial_al

axial_al

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:F-14,H,400G,560D,756D,1086,8920,MX120, 2366,Massey 44.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

My Dad had a 27V and I used it quite a bit as a kid. Cast spokes on the rear wheel were IH cream, the pitman was also cream and the rim aluminum (actually it is galvanized...I still have the mower). The bar, gag rod linkage and associated parts were blue and everything else was red. There was a 27V stenciled on the casting above the sickle bar. Good luck.

Reply to this topic