oil cooler leaking coolant on 1086

10 replies to this topic

#1 ihred62

ihred62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:5250 with 520 loader, 3588 2+2, 1086, 1086, 186, 686 with 2250 loader, Farmall 450, Gehl 3610 skid loader, anything red, planting crops and watching them grow, cutting wood and staying warm, keeping the place tidy, landscaping,my dog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

I noticed my oil cooler is leaking coolant out of the 2 round ports that go to front of engine. I am assuming there are o rings to replace in there. When I take it off will I just need 2 o rings and 2 gaskets where it mounts to side of engine? I have seen tractors with new ones on, is there any thing else I should look for? I do not have coolant in my engine oil. My tractor is 1977 model with 6000 hours on it.

#2 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

O-rings and gaskets is all you will need.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#3 ihred62

ihred62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:5250 with 520 loader, 3588 2+2, 1086, 1086, 186, 686 with 2250 loader, Farmall 450, Gehl 3610 skid loader, anything red, planting crops and watching them grow, cutting wood and staying warm, keeping the place tidy, landscaping,my dog

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

I noticed my oil cooler is leaking coolant out of the 2 round ports that go to front of engine. I am assuming there are o rings to replace in there. When I take it off will I just need 2 o rings and 2 gaskets where it mounts to side of engine? I have seen tractors with new ones on, is there any thing else I should look for? I do not have coolant in my engine oil. My tractor is 1977 model with 6000 hours on it.

I was hoping that was all I needed. Why do I see some tractors with new ones on. Do they rot out inside from lack of changing coolant on a regular basis or do they crack or something else? Just wondering?

#4 GaryhMN

GaryhMN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Our 1586 started geting oil in anti. because oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure. Also happened on our 1640 with Cummins real fun to get oil washed out of cooling system many rinses with Dawn dish soap.

#5 Gkreidt

Gkreidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Had to replace the oil cooler on our 1086,was leaking oil ito the coolant, replacing the cooler was easy but getting the oil cleaned out of the cooling system was a pain. they must go bad from age and vibration finally a line inside cracks and leaks. ours went over 10000hrs, you see one every once in awhile that has been replaced, usually can tell by it being a diffrent color, white or black, didnt take the time to paint it red

#6 F986

F986

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

The 986 I had lost it's cooler at 7000 hours, I just kept adding coolant and letting the oil go out the top after I changed the cooler.
IH products:786, Super M, 127 Cadet, IH fridge 1949 model, 1420 Axial Flow w/810 and 963

Allis-Chalmers Products: 8050 MFD, 701 running gear
Kubota M9000, the other orange.....
White 8100 planter
Great Plains 1500 NT drill
Hardi Ranger sprayer

In the conversion stages to all no-till.

#7 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

I was hoping that was all I needed. Why do I see some tractors with new ones on. Do they rot out inside from lack of changing coolant on a regular basis or do they crack or something else? Just wondering?

Really only two reasons to change a cooler...leakage and if an engine has had a failure that would send metal through the lubricating system. The oil cooler could trap metal debris and cannot be thoroughly cleaned without dis-assembly. (three reasons if you count paranoia from reading unrealistic mechanical horror stories on internet forums <_< )

The internal failures could occur due to a number of reasons, brazed joint failure, cracking due to repeated heat/cooling cycles, rot from poor cooling system maintenance etc.

Jim N.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#8 harvester66

harvester66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:farming with anything red playing with W4 and two bottom plow.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

there is a o ring on each end of the short pipes you will need 4 o rings. and gaskets.

1949 W4, 656, 1066, 1466, 1586, 1660, 1946 W4, 1939 H (puller), 3688 serial 800, 806 wheatland, 1206 wheatland

#9 harvester66

harvester66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:farming with anything red playing with W4 and two bottom plow.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

there is a o ring on each end of the short pipes you will need 4 o rings. and gaskets.

1949 W4, 656, 1066, 1466, 1586, 1660, 1946 W4, 1939 H (puller), 3688 serial 800, 806 wheatland, 1206 wheatland

#10 todd's old 14

todd's old 14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

You can say that again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reply to this topic