Rebuilt & Repowered IH 4786

9 replies to this topic

#1 gordonquapp

gordonquapp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

There is a guy close to me near Ponoka, Alberta, Canada that completely reconditions and repowers older V8 4WDs with N14 cummins. He has repowered serveral makes and models and also sells kits to do it yourself.

I looked at one that he has on consignment that he did 5 years ago and it looks like he does a very good job. He will give you a year warrentee on it and recondition it from one end to the other (differentials, transmission, drive shafts, bearings, hoses ect.), fresh paint job, new cab kit, and put a 10000hr truck N14 in it for $40,000.00. I think new tires would be extra.

Is is worth it to buy a reconditoned and repowered 4786 or buy an older green or red Steiger with high hours for the same money? I know there would be less rpm for the 10 spd transmission.

Here is his website http://www.kjrepower.com/pic008.html

#2 SMiller

SMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

There is a guy out west that referbs old Steigers, I think I would go that route...

#3 ChrisNY

ChrisNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

Looks like he does a nice job...not sure if $40K nice...but nice. That 950 Versy is a sharp tractor.
1966 1206 S/N# 8926
1970 1456 S/N# 13146
1977 4386 S/N#1053
1961 460U S/N#10646
1984 IH 1460 Combine
Cub Cadet 129

#4 farmerboy3

farmerboy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:IH Tractors and Machinery

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

i saw him on the prarie farm report a while ago he rebuilds everything and usually extends the frame to fit the bigger engines etc

i think 40.000 is to much you can go find an original with around 5000hrs for cheap and overhaul what you want etc

but that's just my oppion
1985 Steiger Cougar Kr-1280
1992 CaseIH 9250
1992 CaseIH 7120 MFWD
1980 IH 3388 2+2 (been on the farm since new)
1985 CaseIH 1460 combine
1984 IH 1460 Combine
1948 McComick W-4 (Dads tractor)
1956 IH 600D Seized at the moment
1955 IH W-400 starting the resoration process

#5 farmall666

farmall666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING / FISHING / IH PRODUCTS / WOMEN

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

THEY LOOK NICE. LOOKS LIKE HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. BUT LOTS OF CHING. I WOULD THINK THERE IS BETTER OPTIONS OUT THERE THOUGH.

#6 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

There is a guy out west that referbs old Steigers, I think I would go that route...

They are the same tractor , steiger built the IH 4wd tractors , the axles are IH though .

Make mine a 4786 with a 8V92 TTA @ 500 h.p. :rolleyes:
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#7 SMiller

SMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

I get that but the guy out west only does lime green tractors, make mine a ST310 Panther III fully restored, big crome stack, turned up, with 23* deep tread Firestone radials... Maybe tinted windows to.

#8 tommyw-5088

tommyw-5088

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts
  • Interests:trying to educate people on how bad liberals are .

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

I get that but the guy out west only does lime green tractors, make mine a ST310 Panther III fully restored, big crome stack, turned up, with 23* deep tread Firestone radials... Maybe tinted windows to.

Yep , that would be nice too .
To all the white people of America who honestly feel that the black people have been so mistreated and given such a bad deal in this country I can only suggest that you should move yourself and your family, if you have such, into one of their neighborhoods and do everything necessary to become a integral part of their society, make every effort to blend your lifestyle into theirs, go to their stores, churches, and social gathering places for your needed things in life. send your children to schools where their children are the majority of the enrollment, and where they mostly compose the faculty and administration, get a job where they are in the majority and hold the important management positions...and most importantly of all, go the many prisons where they are being, justly...and unjustly, incarcerated and visit them and see them trying to be rehabilitated, but obviously so suppressed in their efforts that rehabilitation is just impossible. Then, after you have really gotten to know these people...many, many, many of them, from all walks of their lives and societies, and seeing their obvious appreciation of life in America, come forward and make suggestions as to how we white people should go about changing our ideals and society to better accept and integrate these people into our lives so that in a reasonable amount time there will be no more distinctions or differences in how we whites and blacks view each other and the hoped for blending and melding of our races can be completed and we can love and appreciate one another as you must think God intended.

I cannot take credit for these words ,Wish i could

#9 Cliff Neubauer

Cliff Neubauer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

That kind of money should get you into a 9170 which would be a much better tractor. I'd take a high hour 9170 over a rebuilt 4786 any day.
Cat 55, MX-240, 5488, 1086, 1066, 1066, 1066, 5140, 826, 706, 656 Hydro, 450, M, M, M, SH, 100, 70, 1724 and KB-5 IH trucks.

#10 Willbierfarms

Willbierfarms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:MY great red fleet so far:<br /><br /><br />1959 340U w/factory three point<br />1988 7130 8000+ hours and still rocking.<br />1930's IH Little Wonder plow 2-14's<br />1940's IH Little genius 3-16 on rubber with hyd lift<br />Case two bottom Centennial plow<br />1965 806D<br />1956 450 farmall<br /><br /><br />

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

I'd take a 20,000 houred southren belle 9170 with rice and cain with no windows over a NEW 45/4786 any day of the week. My feelings are well known on the abortion that is a 4586.
" I have fat chick on my couch and I can't find my pants,so I'm gonna be running a bit late" As told to Binderpower856 by yours truly on a bleary eyed post divorce Sunday morning.

It was hard enough being left handed in this world, then I went and ruined my left arm for the next six months!

Reply to this topic