MSD ignition installed. WOW!!

3 replies to this topic

#1 gonzo 1066

gonzo 1066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Interests:Rebuilding IH farm tractors, Pulling RED tractors, Working in my shop. MOPAR cars. Austrailian Opals

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

Just got done installing a MSD billet distributor, coil, 6-AL box and 8.5 MSD wires on a friends 69 Chev P/U truck. Wow what a difference that made. I have used the MSD stuff on race cars but did not know how much better it performed than the stock stuff. Has anyone installed this stuff on a H-M or 460-560. Seems like the distributor, coil, box combination would really perk up these old girls.

"Rooster" 1066 puller tractor, Soon to be turned back into a farm tractor
 "Banty" 666 7000# Puller toy, 312 3-LM Has stuff done to it.
"Emmy Lou" 1939 M , 1939 Farmall H (to be named later)
'  F-1206, 2WD 5088  1066 to be restored
2 782 Cadets 1 repowered. CanAm OutlanderMax650
2 Dodge Cummins trucks 2013"Buckweet" and 2004 "Duke"
[i][color=#FF0000]

Can am outlander Max, XT Honda ST 1100
Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting table

#2 triple6

triple6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:if it has a motor i will like it. raced dirtbikes for 15+ years locally and nationally, now im into antique tractor pulling.

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Just got done installing a MSD billet distributor, coil, 6-AL box and 8.5 MSD wires on a friends 69 Chev P/U truck. Wow what a difference that made. I have used the MSD stuff on race cars but did not know how much better it performed than the stock stuff. Has anyone installed this stuff on a H-M or 460-560. Seems like the distributor, coil, box combination would really perk up these old girls.

hi bob, to answer you yes we have some guys out here using the msd boxes on h,m,460,560 oliver 77,88's. they sure do crank and the nice part is all you need is a pack of chips to tune your rpms to whatever the club wants. haven't done it to my 450 and probably wont now because i'm sick of waiting for my stroker parts to come in. its been 1 1/2 years since i ordered it and i'm very disgusted with the services from both parties involved. my next call if i ever get through to them is send me the $1400 for the crank and the $1500 for the piston kit. this has gone on long enough i've lost interest in the project and just want my money back. by the way i ordered 3 of these kits at the same time so one would think these guys would have gone a little extra for me, but ive learned a lesson...never again,guess the old saying is true. if you want it done right do it yourself! maybe i will an if it works i can start to produce them for us eastcoast guys. thanks bob, dave p.s. loved the pics it is my new desktop...and goal

#3 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

yes we have had one in an m since '96. when it is warm it will sometimes start on it's own by just turning the ignition switch on. like the old timers said a well tuned model t could do.

#4 SMiller

SMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

When I put a tune-up on my 454 Chevy truck I put a Hypertech coil on it and it made a difference upon start up, much stronger spark, starts easier, runs\pulls stronger, better mileage. I am a firm believer now that I have seen what a stronger spark will do.

I would have put good wires on it but my last big block melted wires every 2 months so I just bought the lifetime Napa's and replace them every couple months for free...

http://www.summitrac...parts/HYP-4050/

Reply to this topic