42 replies to this topic

#1 IH-Harvester

IH-Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Last night I pulled the belt pulley shaft out of my H to replace the shaft oil seal. I noticed the gear oil in the case looked like chocolate syrup. I cleaned the case out real well and put everything back together. I was getting ready to add oil to the gearcase but wondered what oil to use? I got to thinking and wondered if the transmission circulates oil up to that housing? If it does,did moving the tractor just put more nasty gear oil up in the belt pulley gearcase? I need to drain the transmission oil also, I never have in the few months that I've owned the tractor. What Oil do I use in the transmission and belt pulley housing?

#2 HappyHank

HappyHank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

Years ago, when I had an H Farmall, I just used 80-90 gear oil in the transmission and rear end. Mine didn't have the pulley housing on it.

#3 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

i use 140 weight gear oil. it's thinner than the molasses that's in there now and it won't seep out past the seals as easy as 90 weight. remember everything in that old gearbox is sixty years old and has a little extra clearance worn into the moving parts.

#4 Samsdad

Samsdad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Farming and maple business, snowmobiling, old tractors, tractor pulling, anything with a motor.

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

Last night I pulled the belt pulley shaft out of my H to replace the shaft oil seal. I noticed the gear oil in the case looked like chocolate syrup. I cleaned the case out real well and put everything back together. I was getting ready to add oil to the gearcase but wondered what oil to use? I got to thinking and wondered if the transmission circulates oil up to that housing? If it does,did moving the tractor just put more nasty gear oil up in the belt pulley gearcase? I need to drain the transmission oil also, I never have in the few months that I've owned the tractor. What Oil do I use in the transmission and belt pulley housing?

I used 80W90. I don't have any leaks. The oil is circulated up to your belt pulley gear housing when your pulley is running. There's no drain plug for the belt pulley housing so you can suction the old oil out. My old old looked like road tar with plenty of sludge in the bottom of the transmission and rear end. Took awhile to scrape that old stuff out.

#5 Samsdad

Samsdad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Farming and maple business, snowmobiling, old tractors, tractor pulling, anything with a motor.

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

I used 80W90. I don't have any leaks. The oil is circulated up to your belt pulley gear housing when your pulley is running. There's no drain plug for the belt pulley housing so you can suction the old oil out. My old old looked like road tar with plenty of sludge in the bottom of the transmission and rear end. Took awhile to scrape that old stuff out.

#6 DC Snider

DC Snider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Antique tractors, bass fishing, gardening, farming, volunteer work at church and president of our local county fair board.

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

Second on the 85W 140. I put 16 gallon in my M, nice and quite now. Not sure what the H holds, probably around 12 gallon or so. Yes the belt pulley is lubed from the transmission.

Dusti

Member IHCC Chapter 37 & 42 North Carolina
mainBanner.jpg
1951 Farmall "M"
1949 Farmall Cub - Original "Blue Ribbon Reconditioned"

1934 Farmall F-12
1929 Farmall Regular
1956 Ford 640
1967 John Deere 112H
1973 John Deere 140 H3
1985 John Deere 420

1999 F350 6.8L V10 DRW 4X4 Supercrew XLT Lariat

#7 IH-Harvester

IH-Harvester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

Whats the best way to flush out the rear housing? Take the top rear end cover off? Is it ok to rinse it with diesel fuel to remove the sludge? I dont want to put new oil in it just to be mixed with the old sludge.

#8 F-N-HYMER

F-N-HYMER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:SNOWMOBILING, FIXING OLD TRACTORS, TRACTOR PULLING

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

WHEN CHANGE MY OIL IN REAR END I FILLED WITH DIESEL MOVE AROUND A LITTLE TO SLOSH IT AROUND THAN DRAINED AND FILLED WITH 80-90.

#9 FarmallFrank

FarmallFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

The "H" manual that I have shows, SAE-140 or SAE-160 oil for the Transmission, Differential, and the Steering Gear, that is in temperature's of 50* - 90* which would be pretty safe range to use from.

The capacity only shows 6 gallons.

I think I would just pour the diesel or kerosene into the rear end no real need to open it up, drive it around a little hitting the brakes from time to time to stop so it will sloush around in there then drain it may have to do it a couple of times to come out real nice.

Big thing does this tractor get stored inside at all, if not can you cover it in anyway, the H's and the M's platform is set up to collect and deposit rain water right into the differential, those little bolts that are recessed into the platform are the area's that I am talking about they hold/collect water and it eventually leaks into the rear end, look at how many there are, it doesn't take long to get much water into the rear end.

The "M" book only shows capacity of 13 gallons.

Attached Thumbnails

• Farmall_H_page_5a.jpg
  • Farmall_H_page_7a.jpg

#10 TxFarmallFan

TxFarmallFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

The "H" manual that I have shows, SAE-140 or SAE-160 oil for the Transmission, Differential, and the Steering Gear, that is in temperature's of 50* - 90* which would be pretty safe range to use from.

The capacity only shows 6 gallons.

I think I would just pour the diesel or kerosene into the rear end no real need to open it up, drive it around a little hitting the brakes from time to time to stop so it will sloush around in there then drain it may have to do it a couple of times to come out real nice.

Big thing does this tractor get stored inside at all, if not can you cover it in anyway, the H's and the M's platform is set up to collect and deposit rain water right into the differential, those little bolts that are recessed into the platform are the area's that I am talking about they hold/collect water and it eventually leaks into the rear end, look at how many there are, it doesn't take long to get much water into the rear end.

The "M" book only shows capacity of 13 gallons.

6 gallons on an H is right. I used 85w140, as others have said, and its quieted down considerably.

Reply to this topic