Photo

What kind of oil do you use in your 4 wheeler?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Changed oil in the 4 wheeler this morning and thought Id ask what kind of oil do people use?

I can't find my owners manual right now, but I think it says 5W30 or motor oil anyway. That was printed before Artic Cat came out with their own special $20 gallon synthetic oil stuff. My one dealer said to use motor oil. Other artic cat dealer says to use something formulated for use in clutches. Says some detergents etc, not good for clutch/trans. The mechanic at the yamaha dealer which I know real well says to use what ever I have been using...dont switch.

I have had to adjust the clutch some what, just figured I was too lazy to down shift at the right time. $20 a gallon is kinda spendy, but so are 4 wheeler parts :wacko:
Proud owner of a 5088, 806, 656, 3010JD, D-17, and WD 45. Also '94 & '01 powerstroke.

Beef...its whats for dinner.

A man who straddles the fence, gets a sore crotch.

The worst thing you can do is do it the way Grandpa did it. The second worst is to forget why Grandpa did it the way he did it.

Success is like smoking....its ok as long as you don't inhale!

#2 Sparky

Sparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

I run 10-30 Trop-artic in some and 15-40 Rotella in the ones that get used hard and get hot. I've seen many that use the factory oil, but I really don't see much special about them. One of my best customers will not use anything but Honda oil in his farm use Honda....he says his clutches will slip if he doesn't, but I've got his old 4-wheeler and have been using 15-40 Rotella in it and I just adjusted the clutches a bit tighter...I don't use it as much as he did, but I haven't had any problems, I'm not out much if I do either.

Travis

ETA: The newer ones that I've changed oil in all say to not use 'Energy Conserving' oil, which is normally your 5-30 oils....it says it right on the oil bottle if it is.
'74 966, '46 H, Two 990 mower conditioners, #15 rake and a #35 behind it, 241 bigroll baler, 560 plow, #37 disc, 19' 45 F.C. and a couple other off breeds. Got a 782 Cub Cadet, also. Not much else, but it keeps me out of trouble!

Money is NOT the root of all Evil, Lack of money is the root of all Evil...

#3 SMiller

SMiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

If I am going for cheap I use Honda 10w-40 black bottle, if its something I like I use Amsoil motorcycle 10w-40 full syn. Factory filters only.

Don't use over the shelf oil, its not worth ruining the clutch packs.

#4 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Interesting, I have always used some form of 15-40 as well. 2 diesel pickup and tractors etc. About the only oil I have on hand. Thought about 5-30 with winter comming on, but dont ride it much untill calving....march.

Kinda figured since owners manual said motor oil, that Artic Cat was trying to stick me. Like I said though I have had a little slippage in the clutch. Tried to adjust it myself the first time. Instrcutions and everything and messed it up. Done twice since with 7K+ miles. So not too bad I guess.

Guess Im kinda dumb....what energy conserving oil?
Proud owner of a 5088, 806, 656, 3010JD, D-17, and WD 45. Also '94 & '01 powerstroke.

The worst thing you can do is do it the way Grandpa did it. The second worst is to forget why Grandpa did it the way he did it.

#5 no_brainer

no_brainer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts
  • Interests:Any thing with a seat and engine any color will work and my classic XL with a C-15 kitty

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

In my cat I put mobil one 10w40 motor cycle oil ,you need a motor cycle oil bacause it has additives for the clutches
Dear Lord ,please protect me from all of your followers .

AND IF IT RUNS LIKE A DEERE ,THEN IT SMELLS LIKE A JOHN
I WILL STILL DUCK HUNT UNTIL OBAMAS JACK BOOTED THUGS ( UN TROOPS) BREAK INTO MY HOME AND STEAL MY GUNS

#6 Amo

Amo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

In my cat I put mobil one 10w40 motor cycle oil ,you need a motor cycle oil bacause it has additives for the clutches

Ive never really priced any of it. The guy from the one Artic Cat dealer sold me a gallon and it was 18.99 plus tax 1 1/2 years ago. He said he really didnt care if you bought it from him or somewhere else, just to use that kinda stuff.

Spose I could snoop on the net. Havent done that much. Checked CL out thursday. Wow never knew you could find so much stuff :wacko: Drive youself looney looking in all the towns in all the states.

#7 poor farmer/logger

poor farmer/logger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Logging, Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

In dad's honda 400 we run 15/40. In my Can Am 650 I run Castrol Syntech 10/40. 4500 miles on my can am and no ill effects. 11,000 miles on dad's 400 honda and no affects. Never adjusted the clutch either. Course my can am is belt drive so seperate transmision oil there.

Ryan
logging so I can go farming

#8 M Diesel

M Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

In some machines the newer oils cause slippage under load, usually most noticeable in the high gears. High viscosities / low temps aggravate the problem. Many current day machines run lighter clutch springs so as to get easier lever pull and that means a matching lighter oil is necessary. My XR-400s did not like low friction oils and I had to get older spec stuff for them or else change clutch springs.

If the clutch engages smooth and holds tight with the oil you run, then you're good to go.
Gary M
1951 M -- 1951 MD
1953 Super C -- 1957 Farmall 450
1953 TD9 "Ichabod JR" aka "Icky"
1949 TD18 "Brutus" -- 1956 TD18-182 "Yard Dog"
1964 Loadstar 1600 -- 1975 Loadstar 1700 dump truck
1949 Massey 44

#9 Doc Egor

Doc Egor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Changed oil in the 4 wheeler this morning and thought Id ask what kind of oil do people use?

I can't find my owners manual right now, but I think it says 5W30 or motor oil anyway. That was printed before Artic Cat came out with their own special $20 gallon synthetic oil stuff. My one dealer said to use motor oil. Other artic cat dealer says to use something formulated for use in clutches. Says some detergents etc, not good for clutch/trans. The mechanic at the yamaha dealer which I know real well says to use what ever I have been using...dont switch.

I have had to adjust the clutch some what, just figured I was too lazy to down shift at the right time. $20 a gallon is kinda spendy, but so are 4 wheeler parts :wacko:

I would take the time to hunt down a owner's manual and go with what it recommends.
A dealer trying to twist your arm to use "their" oil is BS. There are legal standards for all lubricating oils and as long as the product you use meets or exceeds those standards you are fine.
No manufactore can require you to use a specific "brand" of lubricant as a condition of warranty coverage unless it provides that item free of charge.

That being said - As other posters have said....wet clutches can be quickly damaged by the wrong oil.
Anything with friction modifiers or a "Energy Conserving" logo on the can/bottle are usually bad news for wet clutchs.

Dropping several hundred or even a grand to replace a smoked clutch would really suck. :(

#10 Loadstar

Loadstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts
  • Interests:7130MFD, 1660 Axial, 71 Loadstar, 59 B-110, R160 S160, Cockshutt 40 & 50

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

I've been doing the same as the previous owner of my Honda Big Red trike, whatever the owners manual recommended. If memory serves me it was just 10w-40 motor oil. After 22 years and over 12,000 km it is all original with no slippage or breakdowns yet.

Reply to this topic