7 replies to this topic

#1 GOAT

GOAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

I am looking at a sickle mower just like this one, does anyone have info on it? Model?, common problems spots?, were there better/worse models? a good match to a 450? ease of finding parts/repair? anything I am not asking but should be?

this is NOT the one I am looking at but, the same model (by the pics). Both look to be 7'. And yes, I already have a note to make sure the fast hitch points are the right size!

I know the one I will be looking at on thursday isn't in perfect condition, but isn't too bad, and is 1/5 the price of above link ;) I'm almost thinking I can't turn that down!

Thanks
Goat
1957 Farmall 450 'Betsy' Fast Hitch, Wide Front
8' FH rear blade
1 Point FH subsoiler
FH Rotary Hoe
311 FH plow
455 Front Mount Cultivators (I haven't picked up yet)

#2 JD Humm

JD Humm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

You don't want that mower, get you a newer balanced head model, they started making them around 1960 or so. A lot better mower for sure. They cost a little more money but are sure worth the difference. Dad still has one he bought new back in about 1962, it is a model 100. It has cut a lot of hay and a lot of road banks and ditches in it's day, all we have ever done is put sections and gaurds on it in all these years, still even has the original drive belt and the wobble box has never been touched. It has the small prongs.

Dad's mower has been on everything from a Super C to a 706. It would work well behind your 450. You can buy or make shims to use the mower on the large prong fast hitch tractors.

The mower in the link kind of looks like a step between the old pitman style mowers and the balanced heads, never have seen one like that but I would venture to say the mower in the link will not mow like a balanced head mower will when the cutter bar is standing straight up without breaking a drive component.

#3 41M

41M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

You don't want that mower, get you a newer balanced head model, they started making them around 1960 or so. A lot better mower for sure. They cost a little more money but are sure worth the difference. Dad still has one he bought new back in about 1962, it is a model 100. It has cut a lot of hay and a lot of road banks and ditches in it's day, all we have ever done is put sections and gaurds on it in all these years, still even has the original drive belt and the wobble box has never been touched. It has the small prongs.

Dad's mower has been on everything from a Super C to a 706. It would work well behind your 450. You can buy or make shims to use the mower on the large prong fast hitch tractors.

The mower in the link kind of looks like a step between the old pitman style mowers and the balanced heads, never have seen one like that but I would venture to say the mower in the link will not mow like a balanced head mower will when the cutter bar is standing straight up without breaking a drive component.

JD is right. The balanced head mower like a 100 or 120 or newer is the best way to go. I had a 120 years ago. It was a really good fast cutting mower.

#4 captain_crunch

captain_crunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

RUN don't walk RUN Unless you just want it to restore and look at then it might be ok. We had a MF Dynabalance and a Ford 515 They were about as good as a sickle bar got but that was before the disc mowers came along. Ford had an 8 ft bar but I can cut the same field in 2 hrs less with the little 5ft 4 disc Taurip(never could spell)
Don't be Fooled by Duals

#5 GOAT

GOAT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

RUN don't walk RUN

I honestly laughed at that. It's almost poetic.

Thanks guys! I never regret asking, even if I do develope nervous twitches passing on FH anything. :blink: :huh: :mellow: :unsure:

Goat
1957 Farmall 450 'Betsy' Fast Hitch, Wide Front
8' FH rear blade
1 Point FH subsoiler
FH Rotary Hoe
311 FH plow
455 Front Mount Cultivators (I haven't picked up yet)

#6 FARMALL706G

FARMALL706G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

I am looking at a sickle mower just like this one, does anyone have info on it? Model?, common problems spots?, were there better/worse models? a good match to a 450? ease of finding parts/repair? anything I am not asking but should be?

this is NOT the one I am looking at but, the same model (by the pics). Both look to be 7'. And yes, I already have a note to make sure the fast hitch points are the right size!

I know the one I will be looking at on thursday isn't in perfect condition, but isn't too bad, and is 1/5 the price of above link ;) I'm almost thinking I can't turn that down!

Thanks
Goat

You do what you want to do. I bought a Model 37 for $100 last October, and then had to repair and replace everything on it - it was not a Fast Hitch like this, but bolts to either an H or M drawbar. Aside from the Fast Hitch, it is a lot like the one pictured. I fixed it up as a "back up" in case I am in a bind and my New Holland sickle mower breaks. I had to rebuild both shafts - upper and lower - replace the belt, Pittman arm, new bearings & seals, new knives & guards - everything. I took mine ALL apart, painted it and reassembled. I have more 4 in it than what it is worth, probably, but it looks good when hooked behing my M in the Christmas Parade.
Proud owner of: 1967 Farmall 706 Gas NF; 1967 International 504 Gas; 1951 Farmall M; 1946 Farmall M; 1953 Super C; 1951 Farmall Super A and a 1949 Farmall H ... and a 1965 Chevrolet 2-ton dump truck...and a bunch of other old, mostly obsolete implements and equipment.

#7 JD Humm

JD Humm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,984 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

RUN don't walk RUN

I honestly laughed at that. It's almost poetic.

Thanks guys! I never regret asking, even if I do develope nervous twitches passing on FH anything. :blink: :huh: :mellow: :unsure:

Goat

When I bought one of the Super C's it came with a fast hitch mower, it was a wooden pitman style. Had the fast hitch prongs but still had a bracket that had to bolt to the axle housing, I failed to see how that mower could have even been very good when it was brand new. I put it on the tractor and used it one time. Took it to the consignment auction and sold it soon after. I found a good balanced head a year or so later.

#8 hagan

hagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Interests:grandpas 41 H & my first tractor 63 806sn673 are my prize possessions Farming tractors 96 7210 2wd: 90 7110 MFWD: 92 7140 MFWD: and my 61 560 D is the old pump tractor that is pretty beat up.
    1440 Combine: CaseIH 8590 Baler:MF 9635 rotary windrower with double crimper :dads 63 loadstar 1600 that i haul the first load of crop to elevator with each year

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

if you look on maiersauctionbarn.com you can find several good mowers on that sale come Dec 5th

Reply to this topic