6 replies to this topic

#1 Hoot

Hoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

Sometime ago someone on here mentioned that rollover plows in their area were a thing of the past and said that they have gone to switch plows instead. At that time I never gave it a thought and asked what they meant until recently when I saw a picture of a switch plow on NAT. It was a John Deere, it appeared to be semi mounted and it had odd shaped looking moldboards with landsides on both sides and no colters.

I have a couple of questions; I'm assuming that they do the same thing rollover plows do but how do they change from one side to another? Did IH or CaseIH ever offer any of these plows?

I made the switch to a rollover plow this fall and so far I really like it, it has several advantages over a one way plow. Being a plow nut I was just curious about switch plows and was wondering if anyone that uses one or is around them could tell me about them, or even post pictures of one, thanks.
Git-R-Done with a 2 way plow, one way plows are for show, parades, and plow days.

IH Equipment; '68 656D, 642 4 Bottom Rollover Plow, 535 3 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 540 4 Bottom Semi-mounted Plow, 12' 370 Disc, 18' 470 Disc, 18' 45 Field Cultivator, and 12' 2 Section Spike Tooth Harrow. Also lots of IH Toy Tractors.

Also have a black sheep; an AC 7045 and it stays in the shed.

My avatar is a spittin' image of my Golden Retriever "Sadie"

#2 jwal10

jwal10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Old Farmalls, Old Chevy trucks,woodworking

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:16 AM

#3 Idaho2+2

Idaho2+2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

Sometime ago someone on here mentioned that rollover plows in their area were a thing of the past and said that they have gone to switch plows instead. At that time I never gave it a thought and asked what they meant until recently when I saw a picture of a switch plow on NAT. It was a John Deere, it appeared to be semi mounted and it had odd shaped looking moldboards with landsides on both sides and no colters.

I have a couple of questions; I'm assuming that they do the same thing rollover plows do but how do they change from one side to another? Did IH or CaseIH ever offer any of these plows?

I made the switch to a rollover plow this fall and so far I really like it, it has several advantages over a one way plow. Being a plow nut I was just curious about switch plows and was wondering if anyone that uses one or is around them could tell me about them, or even post pictures of one, thanks.

Around here we can't hardly use a one way plow so you mainly see rollover plows. But I am looking at getting a switch plow and seeing how I like the trash coverage. I see an advantage with the switch plow as being weight. Most all of them but the biggest are fully integral and the have a pivot point at about 1/3 of the way back from the hitch and they have a ram and shift linkage at the hitch the locks the bottoms and beam to one side or the other. When you plow one way the ram is fully retracted and locked at the certain right or left angle and when you turn around you extend the ram and that "switch's" the plow bottoms to the opposite angle.

I want to go to one and try it out because while we do great with rollovers sometimes if the plow doesn't roll perfect every time it puts a lot of stress on the hitch and rear of the tractor. A switch plow weighs less and there is no stressful roll motion is the way I look at it. And you only have one set of bottoms to maintain.

#4 retento

retento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:Walking horses, tobacco, Farmalls, old yellow Cub Cadets, salt water fishing.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

These plows, more or less push the soil over, don't turn the soil over as well as a regular mold board plow... Around here they were real popular for several years... Most of them were probably sold for scrap last summer... John Deere, Long Mfg. (tobacco equipment), Harrell Mfg. (cotton harvest equipment), Lewis M. Carter Mfg., were among the brands that were popular in this area.

More from ....

Long's patent.... http://www.freepaten...om/5024281.html

New Ag thread... http://talk.newagtal...w.asp?tid=76907

#5 Eason

Eason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Anything IH

IH & NC State; only the best are red & white.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hoot the best was to describe them is think of how a grader blade will roll dirt when it is angled. The switch plow is basically 3 to 5 mini grader blades. They are not as heavy on the rear of the tractor but are tough on the front end. You have to have a lot of weight on the front end to keep the plow from swinging the tractor around. Eason
IH stuff I own 4900 dta466,6588,Hydro 86,784,674,966,664,826D hydro,856,656D hydro row-crop utility,2544D hydro utility,1026 gold demo, Farmall 504D, 340(junk) Farmall 100, 1980 Scout Terra diesel,1976 Scout II, 1975 race scout,67 Loadstar,1976 Sundance Loadstar cub cadets; Big Country4x2,2166,782, 682,1250,126, 125, 72,122, 100, original 76, spirit of 76 IH air conditioner, literature, toys and many parts scouts 1992 Ford F-250 7.3 4wd,1983 Ford F-250 4wd with IH 6.9 diesel Used to own a 656 row crop utility, 544D utility, and a 544D Farmall all 3 red and gold demo's and 7288 s/n 18

#6 cm228

cm228

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

A local tater farmer here has one, 5b i think, they seem to like it. fields look pretty good after their done, smooth enough to drill in some rye as a winter cover.
Full time diesel mechanic for Cummins Power Systems LLC.
Part time hobby farmer
My tractor Farmall 400 Diesel
Dad's tractors Super H, H, Farmall Cub 1782 Cub Cadet
Brother's tractors H, Super C

#7 drglinski

drglinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

The plow bottoms look like what we use by hand around here to move snow with. (or so that's what I saw in the video).
My 5th Christmas was one to remember. Thanks Dad!

Reply to this topic