Photo

Chisel plow, field cultivator, row cultivator?

2 replies to this topic

#1 oleman

oleman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

I plead guilty to knowing little about farming terminology.
I really would like a good primer on the differences between these 3 types of ground breakers.
I have a 7 coil spring load shank 6' wide 3 point cultivator. It was sold to me as a chisel plow because it had always had chisel points mounted on all 7 shanks.
I removed the chisels and replaced them with 8"' - 12" sweeps that have 100% plow-up for the full 6'; now old farmer buddy says I have a field cultivator;
If I realign the shanks to support cultivating 2 rows; is it a row cultivator?
My equipment selling buddy has some large wheeled drag behind chisel plows that have fixed c-shaped chisels that are the chisels and the shanks; he says they are also chisel plows used to freshen up large pastures.
The 6' wide 7 shank pulls nicely behind the 464, buried deep in the North Texas black-tar soil and it plows up the soil with sweeps mounted but what is it called, based on what?

#2 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Big boy toys, hopelessly addicted to diesel and horsepower, ..and IH. duh.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

chisel plow has long curved shanks and disks..... what you describe is not a chisel plow... field cultivator has small "sweeps" and breaker teeth or rolling baskets on the back commonly used after chisel plowing to smooth the seed bed prior to planting. a row cultivator is usualy mounted on the rear/ middle or front of the tractor to cultivate between the crops, like cultivating beans, corn or what ever the case may be. im not sure what you call the implement you desribe... a field cultivator is similar to what it sounds like you have...

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. IH 1420 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

012~1.gif

#3 ole three bottom

ole three bottom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

A chisel plow has a very long C shank roughly 24" to 30" from point to mounting. They can be mounted ridged or spring mounted. They are used for deep tillage probably 8"-12" with 15" max. Any deeper and you go with a sub soiler. This is a primary tillage tool. Most of the time the point has a twist so it will leave a slight furrow behind it. A chisel plow can be 3 point or pull type.
Here's and example of a chisel plow

IH Chisel Plow

A field cultivator is a secondary tillage of finish tool. It will be equipped with a c shank of roughly 18" from point to mount and is normally spring mounted. Or it may be equipped with S shanks. Normally working in the top 2" to 6" of soil. A field cultivator can be 3 point or pull type. Here's an example of a Field Cultivator.

International 4500 Field Cultivator

A Row cultivator it a tool that is set up to straddle the plant rows and work the middles tearing out weeds and breaking up top crust. Early row cultivators were straight shanked with a spring break back for the shovel for when you hit a large rock or C shank ridged mounted. Later ones were spring mounted C shank and S shank, This tool was normally used in the top 2"-3". A Row cultivator will either be front mounted with track eliminators on the back or 3 point mounted. Here's an example of a 3 point row cultivator.

IH 153 Row Cultivator
Little Wonder, I'm no Little Genius. But I get closer to being a #60 with each passing year.

Grandpa's Surer H, 1944 H, My ole 1066, 710 6-16 Automatic, Little Genius plows, 1 and 2 bottom ,2 bottom Little Wonder,2-#27V mowers, a #25 mower, #7 mower, 240 HM, 2 row cultivators, High wheel McCormick grain drill, S-3 Cream Separator. Collecting ole Red Iron can be expensive, But It sure is fun.

Reply to this topic