A little bit of tough luck on swather.

11 replies to this topic

#1 hagan

hagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:grandpas 41 H & my first tractor 63 806sn673 are my prize possessions Farming tractors 96 7210 2wd: 90 7110 MFWD: 92 7140 MFWD: and my 61 560 D is the old pump tractor that is pretty beat up.
    1440 Combine: CaseIH 8590 Baler:MF 9635 rotary windrower with double crimper :dads 63 loadstar 1600 that i haul the first load of crop to elevator with each year

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

We grow a lot of alfalfa hay and this past winter i purchased another swather a NewHolland to run with the CaseIH i presently have.

Well yesterday the CaseIH got hot and it seems the lower radiator hose got a weak spot and leaked the coolant out and when the machine got to 240 the boy shut it down and i went and got new hoses and coolant and when we started it up to add coolant i realized it had ruined the engine. It has 4,000 hours and is a 3.9 cummins engine that has NO sleeves. It has so much blow by that the dipstick blew out and the blow-by tube runs like a exhaust.

The local dealer wants $4250 for a re-built engine that we have to take all the stuff off of mine and put on the rebuilt one so it will add up more yet.

I found a used engine out of a swather at a salvage yard for $3500 complete exhange and it will bolt right in it is running and we can do it here at the farm.

I plan to run this machine another year or so and then try and find another later model machine to trade it for but feel the used engine is the way to go.

Any comments

#2 hagan

hagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Interests:grandpas 41 H & my first tractor 63 806sn673 are my prize possessions Farming tractors 96 7210 2wd: 90 7110 MFWD: 92 7140 MFWD: and my 61 560 D is the old pump tractor that is pretty beat up.
    1440 Combine: CaseIH 8590 Baler:MF 9635 rotary windrower with double crimper :dads 63 loadstar 1600 that i haul the first load of crop to elevator with each year

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

We grow a lot of alfalfa hay and this past winter i purchased another swather a NewHolland to run with the CaseIH i presently have.

Well yesterday the CaseIH got hot and it seems the lower radiator hose got a weak spot and leaked the coolant out and when the machine got to 240 the boy shut it down and i went and got new hoses and coolant and when we started it up to add coolant i realized it had ruined the engine. It has 4,000 hours and is a 3.9 cummins engine that has NO sleeves. It has so much blow by that the dipstick blew out and the blow-by tube runs like a exhaust.

The local dealer wants $4250 for a re-built engine that we have to take all the stuff off of mine and put on the rebuilt one so it will add up more yet.

I found a used engine out of a swather at a salvage yard for $3500 complete exhange and it will bolt right in it is running and we can do it here at the farm.

I plan to run this machine another year or so and then try and find another later model machine to trade it for but feel the used engine is the way to go.

Well today we got the swather in the shop and decided to drop the engine out the bottom rather than remove all the sheet metal and the circular screen. It was a little trouble but not as bad as i thought. Hopefully will have time to get other engine this week or next.
Any comments

Attached Thumbnails

• engine_001.jpg

#3 binderman

binderman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well today we got the swather in the shop and decided to drop the engine out the bottom rather than remove all the sheet metal and the circular screen. It was a little trouble but not as bad as i thought. Hopefully will have time to get other engine this week or next.
Any comments

Why not bore it and overhaul it? At least then you know what you have.
1976 1066 with a pressure cooker cab

#4 Chickenhauler

Chickenhauler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:35 PM

Any comments

Why not bore it and overhaul it? At least then you know what you have.

I'd at least tear it apart and check to see if it is rebuildable....it may have cracked the block, the head may be so warped it can't be milled enough, etc.

It's not like you need the machine next week, do you? You can take the time to have it rebuilt?
"I have seen government housing-you can keep government health care."

"In America, anyone can be president. That's just one of the risks you take."

#5 travisfarms

travisfarms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

About $100 a hole to bore and resleave

Paul's Custom Grinding Svc
3601 Brighton Blvd
Denver, CO 80216
(303) 295-2947

#6 farmall666

farmall666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING / FISHING / IH PRODUCTS / WOMEN

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:20 PM

HE SAID HE IS NOT GOING TO KEEP THE MACHINE ANYWAY. PUT USED ENGINE IN IT AND SEND IT DOWN THE ROAD. LOL WHY DIDNT YOU PULL THE ENGINE? WHY DROP IT OUT THE BOOTOM. EASY TO WORK STANDING UP THAN LAYING DOWN UNLESS YOU GET TIRED A LOT AND WANT TO TAKE A SNOOZE EVERY NOW AND THEN. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

#7 RossIL

RossIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

HE SAID HE IS NOT GOING TO KEEP THE MACHINE ANYWAY. PUT USED ENGINE IN IT AND SEND IT DOWN THE ROAD. LOL WHY DIDNT YOU PULL THE ENGINE? WHY DROP IT OUT THE BOOTOM. EASY TO WORK STANDING UP THAN LAYING DOWN UNLESS YOU GET TIRED A LOT AND WANT TO TAKE A SNOOZE EVERY NOW AND THEN. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah he could put the used motor in it and it may not make it long enough to be worth the effort.
What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?

#8 farmall666

farmall666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING / FISHING / IH PRODUCTS / WOMEN

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

I WOULD HAVE MADE THE YARD RUN IT IN FRONT OF ME BEFORE I BOUGHT IT IF POSSIBLE.

#9 Chickenhauler

Chickenhauler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:48 PM

I WOULD HAVE MADE THE YARD RUN IT IN FRONT OF ME BEFORE I BOUGHT IT IF POSSIBLE.

Just because it runs doesn't mean it hasn't been abused, neglected, hammered, etc.

He did say he would like to keep and run the machine for another year.

I'd seriously tear the engine down and compare costs of having this one rebuilt (know what you have) and buying a junk yard engine that runs, but you have no idea what the history is on it.
"I have seen government housing-you can keep government health care."

"In America, anyone can be president. That's just one of the risks you take."

#10 p8ntball329

p8ntball329

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,073 posts
  • Interests:RED TRACTORS!!!!! IH cornpickers/cultivators!!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

That 3.9 is just a 4BT isnt it? You should be able to find one ALOT cheaper then that.
Tractors-1256, 966, 856, 656, 2 Super M's, '48 M (under the knife at the moment), '46 M with IH 234 mounted picker, '46 A, '41 H - newest acquisation

LOOKING FOR IH MOUNTED 234 PICKERS OR PARTS!!!

Confusius say he who tries to chase after car becomes exhausted; he who tries to run from car becomes tired

Just a 17 year old kid growing up on a MI dairy farm. Up to 3 tractors that I myself own and 9 all together.

Reply to this topic