MX270 engine problems

9 replies to this topic

#1 Case IH boy

Case IH boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Love to restore IH Farmall tractors.
    Always looking for one to restore.
    ***Looking to do some custom restoration work

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

looking at a 1999 MX270 engine started ran for awhile then shut down driving down the road. We had to jump start it the first time. when we jumped it again it had to crank along time before it will started again, then shut down shortly after starting. Ive heard these tractors have some electrical issues can they be resolved. This tractor is priced right, but i dont want to buy a never ending string of problems. any help with this would be appreciated. Sorry, I forgot to look for the codes in the dash, I'am going to look at it again tomorrow and put in new batteries.
Thanks
Cal's Dad
Tractors I've restored: 1929 McCormick 10-20, 1951 Farmall Super C, 1961 Farmall 560, 1951 International TD-6 crawler,
1967 Farmall 1256, 1952 Farmall M, 1957 Farmall 350D, 1955 International 400 Standard
Grandpa's Tractors: Farmall A, 3 B's, BN, 10-20 Titan, C, I-4, F-20, 460U, 560, 806 D, 1586, WK-40, 240U, M, SMTA, 10-20, 15-30, 22-36, I-12, F14, Farmall regular, I-9, Cub Cadet 71, Cub Cadet 129, and Cub Cadet 682. IH truck collection: 1915 IH Model EX truck, 1948 KB-1, 1300D Fire/rescue truck and a IH dump truck with a DT-466. Largest known original IH pedal tractor collection, consisting of tractors new and old.
Dad's Tractors: 7110, Magnum 305, MX 285, STX500HD, 2588 combine.

Looking for Farmall 560: Serial Number 4897 and/or 4898

#2 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Low battery voltage can cause niggling problems.

If the batteries are low they need charged completely before operation.

If there is a faulty battery, or connection, the tractor cannot run reliably.

While replacing the batteries it is a good idea, and standard practice for me, to clean the ground connections including the clean ground cable that attaches at the bottom of the cab directly above the battery box.

Also keep in mind that the engine must turn two complete revolutions before the ECM will initiate fueling. This is to allow the ECM to establish engine position.

Retrieve the codes and post them here.

Jim N.

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#3 Case IH boy

Case IH boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Interests:Love to restore IH Farmall tractors.
    Always looking for one to restore.
    ***Looking to do some custom restoration work

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

Put new batteries in today, tractor started fine several times. Engine fault codes 00211,00121,00268&00434 Trans fault codes 05031,05021
05011&12011 it seemed like it started, ran, and shifted pretty good. Showed (arm com er) once had to shut it down then it reset.
Thanks
Tractors I've restored: 1929 McCormick 10-20, 1951 Farmall Super C, 1961 Farmall 560, 1951 International TD-6 crawler,
1967 Farmall 1256, 1952 Farmall M, 1957 Farmall 350D, 1955 International 400 Standard
Grandpa's Tractors: Farmall A, 3 B's, BN, 10-20 Titan, C, I-4, F-20, 460U, 560, 806 D, 1586, WK-40, 240U, M, SMTA, 10-20, 15-30, 22-36, I-12, F14, Farmall regular, I-9, Cub Cadet 71, Cub Cadet 129, and Cub Cadet 682. IH truck collection: 1915 IH Model EX truck, 1948 KB-1, 1300D Fire/rescue truck and a IH dump truck with a DT-466. Largest known original IH pedal tractor collection, consisting of tractors new and old.
Dad's Tractors: 7110, Magnum 305, MX 285, STX500HD, 2588 combine.

Looking for Farmall 560: Serial Number 4897 and/or 4898

#4 ihrondiesel

ihrondiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:my wife & kids, IH tractors, trucks, & farming

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

I had a similar experience with an MX240 that died like that going down the road. We replaced the cab relays. There is one behind the seat under a cover, and one on the right fender, under the cover by the fuse panel. We replaced both of them and never had another problem.

#5 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:50 AM

Put new batteries in today, tractor started fine several times. Engine fault codes 00211,00121,00268&00434 Trans fault codes 05031,05021
05011&12011 it seemed like it started, ran, and shifted pretty good. Showed (arm com er) once had to shut it down then it reset.
Thanks

00211 Communications error with ARM, ICU or TRANS controllers.
A number of possibilities. Low voltage, bad ground, faulty Can Bus terminator are a few examples.

00121 Engine Position Sensor failed. Can cause hard starting. (RPM sensor provides redundancy for EPS, will allow engine to run but usually starts hard)

00268 Fuel pressure in pump not changing. Could be pressure switch or a harness problem.

00434 Unswitched voltage to ECM disconnected without normal key off sequence. Bad connection, broken wire etc.

05031 Low pressure detected in Range manifold

05021 Low pressure detected in Odd/ Even manifold

05011 Low pressure detected in Speed manifold

The above three codes, when logged simultaneously, usually occur if the engine dies without keyoff.

12011 Communications lost with ARM controller.
A number of possibilities. Low voltage, bad ground, faulty Can Bus terminator are a few examples.

Ands, as ihrondiesel pointed out, cab relays can cause problems. Usually will not run when voltage is lost to the ICU due to a bad cab relay.

Jim N.

"Yet people are considered to be "educated" after they have spent so many years in ivy-covered buildings, absorbing the preconceptions that prevail there."
Thomas Sowell

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"

Thomas Sowell

#6 tnlmaverick

tnlmaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

Out of curiousity, what would cause all of these fault codes at the same time? Lightening strike?

#7 Jedeka

Jedeka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

I have a 1999 MX 240 and have had real good luck with it. I had a stop code come up a couple of springs ago, when planting. Ended up installing an updated fuel temp/pressure switch on the back side of the injection pump. I think once the bugs are worked out, you will like the visibility, hydraulics, and fuel economy of this tractor.

#8 Maynard

Maynard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:32 AM

Out of curiousity, what would cause all of these fault codes at the same time? Lightening strike?

Chances are that the codes didn't log all at the same time, except the three low pressure codes.

When using the EST to read and troubleshoot fault codes the number of occurences and time the fault last occured are available. Related faults that occur simultaneously can give clues as to what caused the fault codes to be set and point to the most likely solution.

The worst possible "lightning strike" that can happen is welding on the machine, or an implement attached to it without disconnecting the batteries, or boosting the batteries with a high voltage output battery charger.

Jim N.

Thomas Sowell

Thomas Sowell

#9 dale560

dale560

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:08 AM

hi i agree with maynard i doubt lightning hit the tractor. but i have seen it strike tractors a couple times. not really hit the tractor but the ground nearby as close as you could tell. both times tractors were used for haying once was an h with a magneto hooked to dump rake. no signs of any damage on the tractor but the owner tried to start it after sitting over night and would not start. the pionts in the magneto were blue and melted like you heated them with a torch voltage regulator and generator were burnt out to. and the tractor ran fine the night before. dale

#10 gsiebrecht

gsiebrecht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

New Holland TG285 which has similar if not the same electrical components as the MX270.

Intermittent electrical problems, PTO would fault, low voltage light upon starting, armrest controller fault when engaging the PTO about 60% of the time.

Replaced the PTO sensor next to the PTO shaft, they have a new style sensor, apparently they had problems with the old sensor. That did not fix it.

Found out the alternator was bad and was preventing the PTO from turning on; It sends a signal to the ECU that tells it the engine speed. Replacing alternator fixed that. After replacing the alternator we were getting arm controller fault codes.

A CAN bus terminator in the arm rest was faulty, dealer said it appears to be a common problem in this style tractor. The part is about $15.

Reply to this topic