4 replies to this topic

#1 414 farmer

414 farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

One of the 1066's I own, went through a fire, I replaced many parts, got it back to a normal looking tractor, but one thing. When it was all apart, some of the shift linkage parts were wore, and charred, so I replaced them, and while the shift levers were off I cleaned up the shaft the levers are on, and after assembly, they were loose? The range especially, I have seen the best of the best for wore out shifting on IH, so I can deal with it, its not to the point of not getting in gear, but is there a bushing kit, or away to tighten the range lever, or just order new parts. Most of our 56's and 66's have a nice tight shift range, but a few are getting loose. Any ideas, or answers are appreciated, let me know what you guys do. I can run them, but I have watched as others that run them, get them stuck between high, and reverse. Thanks!
my binders: 73' 1066 NF, and 75' 1066

on halves with my brother: 1256, and 1466

I'm collecting 1066 serial numbers, salvaged, pullers, restored, working, or in the grove!

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the cornfield.

#2 FarmerFixEmUp

FarmerFixEmUp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle and ATV riding, drag racing.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

You may need to replace the 3 collars that are on the right side of the dash that the range shift lever pivot on and the pivot bushing itself. It needs to be driven out from the left side and replaced with a new one. I know of a place that can build up the bushing and machines the collars to fit.
Farming and Fixing, I fix and farm with red stuff, mostly. Usable tractors are 5288, 1466, 1066, 1206, 826, 806, 756, 656, 800 and 950 planters, 4800 field cultivator, plus other misc, and a yellow TR combine. Also an S1700 grain truck. Also a fun '71 Chevelle! And a '40 M to restore when I get time! 966 M&W turbo.

#3 414 farmer

414 farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hey thanks for the info., do you know roughly what the cost of the parts and machining would be? I'd like to get it done, so its like new again. As much as I have in this tractor, its not going anywhere, unless things get real tight! Get new shifting back, then it just needs paint and it will be brand new again!! :wub:

I'm collecting 1066 serial numbers, salvaged, pullers, restored, working, or in the grove!

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the cornfield.

#4 FarmerFixEmUp

FarmerFixEmUp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycle and ATV riding, drag racing.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

The last set I got was $125 exchange. He is located in Rock Valley IA. Business is called Custom Steel Workers and phone # is 712-476-5111. Talk to Larry. I have him cut all my flywheels and he also rebuilds the knuckles and the brackets for the tilt steering wheels on 56 and 66 series tractors. Used a few of those in my day, too. To replace this pivot bushing you'll have to take the 2 side hoods and the center hood off above the fuel tank. Remove the shift quadrant housing and the shift levers and I usually remove the TA lever linkage that fastens with 3 bolts to the left side of the housing. Slide out the speed transmission cross shaft. Then, I get a 3/4" x 3" bolt and stick it to a telescoping magnet and feed it through the hole that the speed transmission cross shaft came out of. Get a long punch or shaft or something and feed it through from the left side and pound that bushing out. Then reassemble.
Hy Capacity makes a new kit like that also. New parts. Kit part # is 8301167 and list price is $168. That mat be more convenient for you than sending yours back as a core if you have a dealer close. I am a dealer, too. The website is www.hy-capacity.com. You can search that part # in the top RH corner and see a picture of the parts.
Farming and Fixing, I fix and farm with red stuff, mostly. Usable tractors are 5288, 1466, 1066, 1206, 826, 806, 756, 656, 800 and 950 planters, 4800 field cultivator, plus other misc, and a yellow TR combine. Also an S1700 grain truck. Also a fun '71 Chevelle! And a '40 M to restore when I get time! 966 M&W turbo.

#5 414 farmer

414 farmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

hey thanks, I'll have to see how things shape up this fall, I pulled it into the shop tonite, going to do valve adjust and put new injectors in, its got a little tickin going on somewhere, and its not constant, it comes and goes. So long story short, pulled the crossover off, oil leaking through the turbo, got the valve cover off, yep, there's some of it, to much valve lash, also the rockers are loose on the rocker shaft :angry: , then I looked at the valve cover, got alittle carbon splatter by number 4 cyl. go back and look at the valves, number 4 exh. valve is dry and has carbon splatter all over the spring, and rocker shaft tower is full too :wacko: ! Also looked at the dampner pulley, sure why not, its an old tractor, been through a fire, thats bad too!!! Boy I can't wait for winter, good thing its not the field boss, so it can wait!

Reply to this topic