10 replies to this topic

#1 706gas

706gas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

I read on here once that M & W once made a dry air filter kit for the M and H.Is this true ? If so, who has one,how do they like them and are they still out there for sale .Thanks !!
I own a '64 706 and a '51 H. I run a 854 Rogator,1803 liquid Terragator. and a 1603 Terragator dry box for a living.GO BOILERMAKERS !!!!!!!!

#2 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

i have one. they are hard to come by. at first they were a pipe and dry element to do away with the oil bath air cleaner but farmers weren't servicing them properly so they made a dry element to set on top of the oil bath air cleaner.

#3 nosih

nosih

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

I read on here once that M & W once made a dry air filter kit for the M and H.Is this true ? If so, who has one,how do they like them and are they still out there for sale .Thanks !!

I had a NOS M&W dry filter kit at one time for the M. It had the filter, filter housings, and a tube that replaced the oil bath air cleaner. Quite a unique setup, but most dealers I know that sold M&W said they were not an effective filter, and were thus canceled.

Dealer in NOS IH Tractor, Crawler, & Stationary Engine parts. Current Collection: 1905 IHC 2HP Veritcal Stationary Engine, 1910 Tom Thumb Stationary Engine, 1911 IH Autowagon, 1915 1HP Mogul Stationary Engine, 1915 Titan Jr Stationary Engine, 1918 VB Series 8-16, 1919 3hp Type M Stationary, 1922 IC Series 8-16, 1923 10-20, two 1939 Hs, '47 Cub, '51 Super AV, '51 Super C, '61 460, 666, 856D, Three IHC Garands.

#4 DWV

DWV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

Never run one myself, but saw some tractors equiped with them. Filter was mounted above hood with a metal pipe running down to the carb. Filter had big diameter base, bonnet and filter that was not very tall. Dave

#5 Sparky

Sparky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:28 PM

I have always been told that an oil bath air filter was the absolute best filter you could run....I can't see it, but that's what I've been told. The way I see an oil bath works I'd say that a K&N filter is better(and I really don't like K&N's....yeah, they flow better, but that's because they don't filter as much!) The way I see an oil bath air cleaner works is kinda like one of those expensive Rainbow house vacuums....you see all the junk in the oil and it looks really bad, but you don't see what got by, because it actually got in to the engine...maybe I'm wrong and really need to investigate more, but I'll stick with a good Wix (or equivalent/CIH/whatever) for now.

Travis
'74 966, '46 H, Two 990 mower conditioners, #15 rake and a #35 behind it, 241 bigroll baler, 560 plow, #37 disc, 19' 45 F.C. and a couple other off breeds. Got a 782 Cub Cadet, also. Not much else, but it keeps me out of trouble!

Money is NOT the root of all Evil, Lack of money is the root of all Evil...

#6 randy hall

randy hall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Interests:farming with IH tractors and equipment, building and pulling Farmall M's and steam powered equipment

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

I have always been told that an oil bath air filter was the absolute best filter you could run....I can't see it, but that's what I've been told. The way I see an oil bath works I'd say that a K&N filter is better(and I really don't like K&N's....yeah, they flow better, but that's because they don't filter as much!) The way I see an oil bath air cleaner works is kinda like one of those expensive Rainbow house vacuums....you see all the junk in the oil and it looks really bad, but you don't see what got by, because it actually got in to the engine...maybe I'm wrong and really need to investigate more, but I'll stick with a good Wix (or equivalent/CIH/whatever) for now.

Travis

the biggest breakthrough in engine longevity was the dry paper air filter, although it has to be serviced properly.

#7 J. Stacey

J. Stacey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Two years ago there was an M at the Half Century of Progress show with one on it. As I recall the owner was trying to display a tractor with most of the M&W options on it. Sorry, I did not take a photo of it.

#8 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,550 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

I have one on a SMTA. When I bought it it was minus the pipe so I still have my oil bath under the hood so in affect it's mainly a conversation piece. I was told also that the filter M&W offered wasn't the highest quality. I don't remember the filter # but I was able to find a replacement filter thru the local Car Quest dealer that is suppose to be of higher quality. There is a guy making a replacement decal for them, I have one. Now if I could just find the pipe.

Problem with the oil baths is that most people don't bother to service them. Almost every letter series tractor I have purchase the oil in the air cleaner is almost putty. Oil needs to be changed at least yearly if running in dusty conditions.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '53 stage 1 L-SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - '11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 3208 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

#9 Dr. EVIL

Dr. EVIL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

I've searched the internet for HOURS looking for the filering efficiency of oil bath air cleaners and haven't found ANY rating but what I remember reading back 30-40 yrs ago was 90 to 95% of the dust/dirt could be removed. If it wasn't for the oil on the steel mesh in those old oil bath air cleaners You could pour fine grained sand right thru the mesh, it's really coarse!

I also don't like K&N filters, they may be O-K new but after You wash or clean one and hold them up to a light You can see Thousands of Points of light thru them. Those points of light are all holes where dust/dirt can get through. I ran a K&N on my pickup for about 75,000 miles. My oil analysis with the K&N always showed 1 or 2 PPM of silicon in the oil with the K&N. When I switched back to the Motorcraft pleated paper element future O/A showed silicon at Zero or 1 PPM. The silicon is dirt!

I've studied the testing results on several types and brands of air filters and the dry pleated paper elements always remove the most dirt, typically 99+ to 99.9+%. The only problem I see with most pleated paper elements on equipment now days is the filter elements are not big enough, and I think the primary & secondary filters like IH used on several models of tractors & equip. is a really good idea.

I just wish it was easier to convert an oil bath air cleaner over to hold a dry pleated paper element.

#10 retento

retento

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:Walking horses, tobacco, Farmalls, old yellow Cub Cadets, salt water fishing.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have one on a SMTA. When I bought it it was minus the pipe so I still have my oil bath under the hood so in affect it's mainly a conversation piece. I was told also that the filter M&W offered wasn't the highest quality. I don't remember the filter # but I was able to find a replacement filter thru the local Car Quest dealer that is suppose to be of higher quality. There is a guy making a replacement decal for them, I have one. Now if I could just find the pipe.

Problem with the oil baths is that most people don't bother to service them. Almost every letter series tractor I have purchase the oil in the air cleaner is almost putty. Oil needs to be changed at least yearly if running in dusty conditions.

We always changed oil in the oil bath at the same time the crankcase oil was changed... This kept the filter screen cartridge pretty clean also.

Reply to this topic