8 replies to this topic

#1 Blown 331

Blown 331

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

When I was growing up I always had the opinion that 3 point conversions were kinda rediculous, odd looking, didn't work well etc. I have no idea where that opinion came from so I thought I'd ask for some real world opinions. My dad had some Fords which pretty much always had a 3 point so I just used those and never gave any thought to a conversion.
I've got a 1945 H that I mow about 3/4 acre of clover with every couple of weeks. Last winter we got a lot of snow. My car was snowed in for a few days so I had to drive my truck to work. I'm kinda wanting to be able to put a blade on the H so I can push snow with it. The first option that comes to mind is a 3 point conversion which I somehow developed a negative opinion. I normally see them used for $500-ish. Also will a 3 point conversion that was on a Farmall 400 fit an H? Or does anyone have any other ideas for pushing snow with an H?
1945 Farmall H
1941 McCormick Deering W4
1938 Farmall F-20 (SOLD)
1935 Farmall F-30

#2 RickB

RickB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

The biggest drawback to a 3 point hitch on an H is the lack of live hydraulics. Beyond that, a Saginaw hitch is the best out there.

http://www.saginawcountytractor.com/

#3 Blown 331

Blown 331

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

The biggest drawback to a 3 point hitch on an H is the lack of live hydraulics. Beyond that, a Saginaw hitch is the best out there.

http://www.saginawcountytractor.com/

Thanks. I planned on looking for a used one since they seem to pop up kinda regularly. Here is one I was thinking of, thoughts?

http://stlouis.craig...1193059854.html

And does anyone know if it's possible to get a live hydraulic pump from a Farmall 350 and bolt it right to an H?
1945 Farmall H
1941 McCormick Deering W4
1938 Farmall F-20 (SOLD)
1935 Farmall F-30

#4 drglinski

drglinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

My opinion- YES. It works GREAT for moving snow. Although we have 3 rear wheel weights per each wheel- it does help. I've never seen our H without a 3 pt. Granted the lack of live hydraulics is a pain, but you get into the rhythm of clutching, shifting into neutral, lifting the blade, clutching, back into gear, and then going again. No down pressure in ours is sort of a pain but I've learned to live with that.

An H with a 3 pt is the only thing I've ever moved snow with and will be the only thing I want to move snow with. Word of the wise; don't get a belly blade for it to move snow. You can bury it in a hurry doing that, and then it's real fun to get it out. Plus with the 3 pt you can still put a heat houser on it and use it functionally. I agree- the saginaw hitch is the best one out there right now.

Proud owner of a (May 1970) 147 w/an IH spring assist, 48" deck, 42" blade, #2 trailer and (on loan) Dad's #2 tiller.

#5 junior

junior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

I agree about the Saginaw hitch. The best around. The fil has a phil's tractor 3 point and it has Saginaw lower arms now. That hitch you show is already bent up. Whatever you buy for a hitch make sure it retains the original drawbar.

#6 international3088MFD

international3088MFD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Farming, Big boy toys, hopelessly addicted to diesel and horsepower, ..and IH. duh.

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

I've got the same three point you listed on my 350. they call it a corn-husker 3-pt. those ones are a bit of a pain 2 use because the arms never go low enough. but it works for what use i get out of it.

WEGMAN FARMS: 325 acres of corn, beans, oats and alfalfa crop rotation.
80 cow Holstein milking operation.

Tractors on the Farm: Case IH MX Magnum 200, MX Magnum 180, McCormick MTX 135, Case IH MX 110, IH 686 D312 diesel, Farmall DX55, Farmall Super M, stage II, Case 650 dozer. IH 1420 combine. Run Red

My Tractors: 1972 IH 1066, 1957 Farmall 350, 1950 Farmall H, Cub Cadet 100, Cub Cadet 682. Cub Cadet 149, 1951 Massey Harris 44, 350 V-8 conversion tractor.

SEARCHING FOR: International 966 Diesel. Serial number: 29192
Gone but not forgotten: International 3088 open station w/ Elwood MFD

012~1.gif

#7 Chickenhauler

Chickenhauler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:58 AM

I prefer to push snow using a loader on my H, same non-live hydraulics song and dance workout, but I'm not doing my pushing in reverse, nor am I "pulling" the snow behind me, my rear tires are in the cleared path. I also have the ability to "stack" the snow up, which is pretty tough with back blade on a 3 point.

I regularly see trip bucket loaders (paulson and freeman) that look decent for sale on Craigslist for $500 or less....and they come in handy for other tasks, too.
"I have seen government housing-you can keep government health care."

"In America, anyone can be president. That's just one of the risks you take."

#8 farmallman77

farmallman77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

My opinion- YES. It works GREAT for moving snow. Although we have 3 rear wheel weights per each wheel- it does help. I've never seen our H without a 3 pt. Granted the lack of live hydraulics is a pain, but you get into the rhythm of clutching, shifting into neutral, lifting the blade, clutching, back into gear, and then going again. No down pressure in ours is sort of a pain but I've learned to live with that.

An H with a 3 pt is the only thing I've ever moved snow with and will be the only thing I want to move snow with. Word of the wise; don't get a belly blade for it to move snow. You can bury it in a hurry doing that, and then it's real fun to get it out. Plus with the 3 pt you can still put a heat houser on it and use it functionally. I agree- the saginaw hitch is the best one out there right now.

I am his brother and I took some pics of our farmall H. It has a cornhusker 3 point hitch on it. I dont think the cornhusker company is in business anymore, but dont hold me to that. I am real happy with our 3 point and it does everything we need it to do.

some pics of our snow fighter.

(the one in the winter is when we had the old heat houser on it)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 boog

boog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,604 posts
  • Interests:boogville , the BS capital of the world

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

I prefer to push snow using a loader on my H, same non-live hydraulics song and dance workout, but I'm not doing my pushing in reverse, nor am I "pulling" the snow behind me, my rear tires are in the cleared path. I also have the ability to "stack" the snow up, which is pretty tough with back blade on a 3 point.

Back in the day we had a '41 H with a Schwartz cable lift loader. In the winter we had a 6-7' straight blade that mounted on the loader.Even had a set of chains for the rear tires. I pushed a lot of snow with that old tractor growing up. We had two feedlots, one was two miles from home & many times we had to clean the road morning & evening to get the chuck wagon there.

One really bad winter back in the early '60s the guy that worked for us & the neighbor hooked their 4010 on the front of the H & pulled it all over the twp cleaning roads. The 4010 could pull it a lot faster than what the H would go in 4th. When they got to a bad spot they would unhook the H & push out the bad spot then hook the 4010 back on front & head on down the road. Back then the county's highway dept would take a week or better before they would get around cleaning our roads. :(

I have pushed a lot of snow with a 3pt blade on the rear. Really sucks being twisted arouns all day. Now I use the CAT backhoe. So far I haven't found a drift I couldn't get thru. Neighbor / relative rigged up a V blade to mount on a loader. He is now retired & doesn't use it. I have thought about getting it from him & mounting it on the backhoe but with the loader I can pile snow up pretty high if need be. A V blade would only be good for busting a road open & not worth a tinker's d**m for cleaning lots. Besides, the hwy dept is much better about clearing snow these days. Most days they are thru the same day or as soon as the wind stops.

IH tractors currently owned: '49 M, '52 SM, '53 stage 1 SM,  '53 stage 2 L-SM,  '54 SMTA, '66 806D w 2355 loader, co-own a '66 1206 with IHboog, store a '66 706 German for IHboog. IH / CIH equipmemt - ''13 Maxxum 115, 11 MX 275, '10 STX 435, '03 MX255, '12 7120 combine w/ 40' 2162 draper & 4412 ch,  '07 3310 sprayer,  '12 1250 16x30" planter, 12/23 12oo planter, 34' 330 True Tandem , 18' 870 , 7x16" 720 on-land plow, 6x18" 720 in-furrow plow, , #60 4X16" Plow, #1300 3 pt 9' sickle bar mower

Reply to this topic