#1 jkk04

jkk04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

Please help me.
I have purchased a 3 point backhoe unit for my 70 Massey Fergusson tractor recently.
It is pretty old but I saw it works at the time from previous owner.
Now, I am so frustrating to figure out how to remove the valves for replacing rubber seal because all valves are leaking
I know you are the best expert in this forum and will teach me how.
I will be appreciated.
Jkk

Sorry the topic is not IH related.

fron1t.jpg , backside1.jpg

leftside1.jpg , rightside1.jpg

#2 gerogrower

gerogrower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Please help me.
I have purchased a 3 point backhoe unit for my 70 Massey Fergusson tractor recently.
It is pretty old but I saw it works at the time from previous owner.
Now, I am so frustrating to figure out how to remove the valves for replacing rubber seal because all valves are leaking
I know you are the best expert in this forum and will teach me how.
I will be appreciated.
Jkk

Sorry the topic is not IH related.

fron1t.jpg , backside1.jpg

leftside1.jpg , rightside1.jpg

Howdy jkk04, Firstly you will need to clean as much of the dirt/oil off of the valve assembly before you undo anything :)
Now you can remove the valve spools without removing the assembly off of the hoe which might seem easier than undoing all your hoses and unbolting it, generally though its better to take it off so that you can keep it clean just remember to mark which hose goes where. To remove the spools remove the control levers then undo the caps on the back side off the valve assembly, these can be very tight but should loosen once they "crack" . Once you have the cap unscrewed and the valve actuating lever removed the spool should slide out off the hole in the back with only gentle pressure, take care when pushing spool out so as to notice how it operates for correct re-assembly ( where springs/seals etc go) You do this for each valve in turn then replace all seals and fit new wiper seals in valve body should be as good as new! Good luck Craig

#3 magicmikey

magicmikey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Interests:I may be slow but my work is poor.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:42 PM

Maybe a little view of what you might find. :) The threaded hole in the protruding end is what holds the detent riggin in place.
mike
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

#4 jkk04

jkk04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:59 AM

Thank you very much your advice.

I didn't expect the back cap must be removed to remove the spool.
One more question.
Would you please let me know where the seals and wiper seals can be bought with decent price?
Thank you again
Jkk

#5 to_many_irons

to_many_irons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:.tired iron most any kind.gear head at heart

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

i got my orings from dealer. no big deal , make sure you have oring pick and take your time .
my hoe is 220 is on an 202 massey ferg . no leaks now . it does not run hyd fliud of the foot rests.

#6 Rawleigh99

Rawleigh99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:46 AM

Check who made the valves. I replaced the seals on my forklift with the valve in place. The seals on mine were lip type seals, but were not difficult to replace, just messy! Pressure wash them before you begin and be VERY careful about dirt intrusion. Also be careful when reinserting the spools. Make sure that there are no burrs around where the levers attach. There is a special tool called for, but I just lubed up the seal well and polished the tops of the spool with emery paper to remove burrs and old paint and reinserted them. There are usually springs, etc under the bottom cap, so be careful removing it!
Rawleigh

1973 IH 500C a.k.a."Calico Cat"
1955 Cat D2 5U bulldozer with Hyster D2N winch
1945 Cat D2 3J crawler tractor
1979 Pettibone "Super 6" Forklift a.k.a. "Too Tall"
1973 Ford F600 Dump Truck
1980 Ford F350 Flatbed a.k.a. "Beastie"
1960 Allis Chalmers Model 72 All Crop combine
1966 Case 931 Comfort King Tractor

Sold:

1988 Mack R688ST Road Tractor
1955 IH TD 9 with Drott Loader